Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Cross my heart and hope to die, I only visit the left lane on rare occasions. Just to see what it feels like to be a big shot.

Then I quick get back to where I belong.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I think it has been a year or two since I've seen a slow moving car in the left lane impeding normally-moving traffic. It is extremely rare. Maybe one driver out of several thousand. Probably a smaller number than the number who are driving impaired. When someone is in such a tiny minority, what is the point of asking why they do it?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The thread was going along fine until you piped in. I repped everyone in the thread except for you.

If you don't like the useless redundant thread, why do you waste your time reading it and responding to it?

Are you the traffic thread monitor?

To the OP, I hear ya. I don't think it's about stupidity or lack of driving skills. I think it's about attempts at power and control... something they lack in their personal life. I guarantee you they drive differently when there's a cop around.
I think it's exactly what you said - a need to control others by slowing down or stopping traffic on purpose. I once saw a vehicle that was on the left lane going slightly less than speed limit. There was a conga line. One of the people on the conga line was a traffic cop, who turned on his siren. Vehicles in front of him moved to the right lane, including the slow moving vehicle. The cop got behind the slow moving vehicle, made him stop on the side of the road and I guess he/she got a speech from him or hopefully a ticket!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think it has been a year or two since I've seen a slow moving car in the left lane impeding normally-moving traffic. It is extremely rare. Maybe one driver out of several thousand. Probably a smaller number than the number who are driving impaired. When someone is in such a tiny minority, what is the point of asking why they do it?
If they're driving impaired, it would stand to reason they would choose the right, slower lane for their own safety. I don't know if that's quite it.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
WHen I drive I like to get where I need to go. Im not out to sight see. I focus on driving and where I need to get too. It baffles me that when I am on the highway going a comfortable speed with the flow of traffic that I will pass people like they are standing still. Id go nuts driving that slow.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,219 times
Regardless of limit and speed, slower traffic keeps right. It's downright dangerous to pass on the right (due to decreased visibility and larger blind spots). This is one of my biggest pet peeves when driving.

On that note, I've heard ONE logical explaination. Semi's keep right, which wears pavement in the right lane. So, the left lane offers a smoother ride in many places. Still doesn't keep them from moving right when faster traffic comes from behind. That, I think, falls along with self entitlement. Sort of the "if they want to go fast, they can go around -- it's not my problem" mindset.

Thinking more into it, it's also easier to drive paying less attention in the left lane. It's easier to fixate on (and follow) the yellow line out of the corner of their eye.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,736 times
The real question is why do people in the left lane feel that they can pass at whatever speed they want, just to pass. There is no law in the US that says if your in the left lane you can pass at 75 if the speed limit is 50. Even going 15 over I have people who ride behind, not close, but then all of a sudden feel the need for their crap box to tailgate then pass my nice car. I swear it's some sort of superiority complex. They know they are going to get caught going that fast so 30 seconds later I'm right on their butt again cause they are going the same speed when they were a couple car lengths behind me. It's never other nice cars, it's always some ragged ass 1990's Honda or 1990's small pickup driven by a twenty something. I have even tested this theory I'll wait till they get 3 car lengths behind then slowly speed up. I'll bump it up to twenty over and they will still pass then immediately get on the brakes once past. Really? Most drivers here are courteous and will get over if they aren't going 10 over, but most people don't really get upset about anything, which is nice. Phoenix was the worst city I have ever driven in, it has the most aggressive dick hole drivers and the most geriatric over cautious snowbirds on earth, a dangerous combination. In the afternoon it's bumper to bumper 10 mph anywhere so the lanes are pretty much irrelevant, put on your fav tunes and idle along.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,331,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Because they are stupid

Thank you!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
The real question is why do people in the left lane feel that they can pass at whatever speed they want, just to pass. There is no law in the US that says if your in the left lane you can pass at 75 if the speed limit is 50. Even going 15 over I have people who ride behind, not close, but then all of a sudden feel the need for their crap box to tailgate then pass my nice car. I swear it's some sort of superiority complex. They know they are going to get caught going that fast so 30 seconds later I'm right on their butt again cause they are going the same speed when they were a couple car lengths behind me. It's never other nice cars, it's always some ragged ass 1990's Honda or 1990's small pickup driven by a twenty something. I have even tested this theory I'll wait till they get 3 car lengths behind then slowly speed up. I'll bump it up to twenty over and they will still pass then immediately get on the brakes once past. Really? Most drivers here are courteous and will get over if they aren't going 10 over, but most people don't really get upset about anything, which is nice. Phoenix was the worst city I have ever driven in, it has the most aggressive dick hole drivers and the most geriatric over cautious snowbirds on earth, a dangerous combination. In the afternoon it's bumper to bumper 10 mph anywhere so the lanes are pretty much irrelevant, put on your fav tunes and idle along.
Yes speeding is against the law, then again so is impeding the flow of traffic, if your in a left hand lane, and some one is coming up behind you at a fast rate of speed, just move over, its a simple as that. It dosnt matter how fast you are going, "slower traffic keep right"

Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I see it every day that I drive in to work... but not some mornings when I leave by 5:45.

Besides, in Texas, everybody hauls ass right?

I am in a situation in Pueblo West where there are three exits where most residential traffic turns left at one of three turns, two of them being intersections with traffic lights. There are no frontage roads nor underpasses here. Most people get left immediately for that eventual left 3 miles up the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I'll wait till they get 3 car lengths behind then slowly speed up. I'll bump it up to twenty over and they will still pass then immediately get on the brakes once past. Really? ...the most aggressive dick hole drivers and the most geriatric...
What entitles you to be any better than them? Oh yeah, you have a nicer, newer car and deserve an open road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive