Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times

Advertisements

OMG I never saw this post the first time around. But aaaaaahhhhh. I live in South Florida and got stuck in the left lane behind someone going way below the speed limit and she kept BRAKING. There was so much traffic that I couldn't get around her for a bit and it was really scary! I was really freaking out. The highways have a posted minimum in places and I wish that was better enforced. My grandmother got pulled over for driving too slow and stopped driving after that. It really is just as dangerous as going fast. Moreso if you're in the left lane during rush hour! I'm happy I made it out alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
OMG I never saw this post the first time around. But aaaaaahhhhh. I live in South Florida and got stuck in the left lane behind someone going way below the speed limit and she kept BRAKING. There was so much traffic that I couldn't get around her for a bit and it was really scary! I was really freaking out. The highways have a posted minimum in places and I wish that was better enforced. My grandmother got pulled over for driving too slow and stopped driving after that. It really is just as dangerous as going fast. Moreso if you're in the left lane during rush hour! I'm happy I made it out alive.
If slow drivers drove on the slow lane (right), a lot of accidents would be avoided. Left lane slow drivers are a constant danger.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM

337 posts, read 896,702 times
The worst is when people ride up to the HOV lane and at the very last minute try to merge into traffic. Causes a backup in the carpool lane. Pet peeve

Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm sorry to dig up a post that is buried so deeply by the pages of other posts, but I had to ask about this post. I tried hard to understand this post, but I just don't get it. Are you saying you want people to signal a mile or two prior to their turn?
Allow me to translate as I live in the same state and know just what this poster is talking about:

The poster is stating that a car will slow way, way, way down a good mile before their turn so for a good mile, you have NO idea why the hell they are going so slow. You have to guess: "Are you turning? Are you having car problems? Are you lost?" You have NO idea! And it can cause a stressful driving environment because you are stuck there trying to figure exactly WHAT this person is deciding to do.

Finally, after snailing along for a good mile, they THEN decide, "Oh, there's my turn" and that is when they turn on the blinkers.

THEN, they make a fricken career out of actually TURNING the damn car. It is unbelievable how slow they turn and I don't mean, "Oh, this person is just impatient" I mean, they are barely moving at all as they make their turns. They typically make their turns right in front of other people.....their slow, slow, slow, slow, slow turns.

THE POINT the poster was trying to make was that one does not need to slow down a good mile, (or two), before their turn to make others wonder wth is going on with them. The poster is not saying to signal for a mile, they are saying, "Why are you slowing down so far before your turn?"

Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
The worst is when people ride up to the HOV lane and at the very last minute try to merge into traffic. Causes a backup in the carpool lane. Pet peeve
Where I live, VDOT asks you to do that on a big sign. If you don't do it, I guess that is another opportunity to be written a ticket.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What is predictable (Drover and a few others) is the lack of reading comprehension when the very IDEA that the speed limit applies in the left lane just as in all others is stated. The frothing at the mouth starts if it's pointed out that along with people driving well below the speed limit, THEY, if they are driving over the speed limit, are just as much a cause of the problem. Just blows everything else right out of their heads and they can't see the words on the monitor in front of them because they're so furious.

I do wish all those people giving me rep points would speak up here, but maybe they don't want to deal with that reaction themselves.

Again, I don't drive in the left lane unless I'm passing someone. I pull over when it's safe to do so if someone comes up behind me. (99 times out of a hundred, by the way, when you do that you'll catch up to them later and find out that they had no emergency at all, they were headed to the mall or some place similar.)

People who drive well below the limit in the left lane AND people who speed in ANY lane and blame anyone else when they are forced to slow down by traffic are both dangerous on the roadways and both have a need to control others and both have an overweening sense of entitlement. I can't put it any plainer than that. Not that I expect it to sink in.
That's just lovely.

Please find one single post I've ever made in my entire posting history where I've claimed I want people to get out of my way so that I can drive as fast as I possibly can. Please, just find one. Until you can do that, please don't address me ever again. Thank you.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Allow me to translate as I live in the same state and know just what this poster is talking about:

The poster is stating that a car will slow way, way, way down a good mile before their turn so for a good mile, you have NO idea why the hell they are going so slow. You have to guess: "Are you turning? Are you having car problems? Are you lost?" You have NO idea! And it can cause a stressful driving environment because you are stuck there trying to figure exactly WHAT this person is deciding to do.

Finally, after snailing along for a good mile, they THEN decide, "Oh, there's my turn" and that is when they turn on the blinkers.

THEN, they make a fricken career out of actually TURNING the damn car. It is unbelievable how slow they turn and I don't mean, "Oh, this person is just impatient" I mean, they are barely moving at all as they make their turns. They typically make their turns right in front of other people.....their slow, slow, slow, slow, slow turns.

THE POINT the poster was trying to make was that one does not need to slow down a good mile, (or two), before their turn to make others wonder wth is going on with them. The poster is not saying to signal for a mile, they are saying, "Why are you slowing down so far before your turn?"
I've had that experience too. When suddenly the person in front on the left lane practically comes to a dead stop on the roadway, while a slew of drivers are behind breaking all over the place to also come to a near-dead stop, freaking out thinking the first driver has run out of gas, that their motor is dying, or that they're having a heart attack or something, when in fact, they're leisurely looking at house or building numbers. (groan)

Why can't these people pull off to the right lane curb, sit there and look at a map, call someone, get out and examine the area, or simply pull into one of the places and see if that's the number they're looking for and if it isn't get back on the road? Why must they block all the traffic for everyone else on the roadway? And if they can't see the numbers and such, I'm wondering if they shouldn't have taken someone with them that can see the numbers? The only time these drivers get an explanation that what they're doing is wrong, is when one of the people being blocked on the roadway is a cop or highway patrol officer who sees these people blocking all traffic.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Because they never read the driving manual. You obviously did not drive on I-4 between Tampa & Orlando!!! I suggest you don't...you'll go nutz!

Cops REALLY need to get on these people as they are worst than those who speed, and some "appear" to be speeding BECAUSE these people take naps in that left lane! I horn the crap out of them!

I haven't seen any....but I would be willing to design, print and hand them out to those who DID READ THE DRIVING MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I don't know if it's only in the city where I live, or if this problem is found everywhere, but I've reached the end of my rope with people who drive well below the speed limit driving on the LEFT side of the road. WHY why why????? What's their problem? Do they not realize that if you're moving slowly you need to be on the side of the road? How did they get their license? Did they not have to take a test? They block traffic for miles, and think nothing of it.

What could possibly be going through their minds when they do this? WHY do they do this?

I also find a huge problem with people who forget to make a turn, and so slow down and block all traffic with their left turning signal on, to get on the left lane. For Pete's sake, keep going and THEN find a way to go back to your turn! Don't block the road!

Maybe I'm the only person frustrated by these things. I wonder if there are bumper stickers out there that say, "If you're a slow moving vehicle, STAY ON THE RIGHT!" Or, "If you missed your turn, DO NOT BLOCK EVERYONE BEHIND YOU BY STOPPING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO LET YOU INTO THE LEFT LANE!"

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
They are trolls of the road.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM

60 posts, read 79,999 times
Sometimes I wonder what the person is thinking when they look back in the rear view mirror and see 10 cars right behind them obviously wanting to pass. Like, what goes through that persons mind when they see that they're holding up so much traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive