Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

I did a stupid thing tonight. There was some activity on the property across the road from me and I decided to investigate. As I was driving down the road (one lane country road) I got distracted looking at what was going on and ran off the shoulder ending up three feet off the level of the road with a tree in front of me and another smaller tree ten feet behind my vehicle.I estimate the "grade" from where I ended up was about 30 degrees.

Being a cheap *astard I didn't buy a 4wd truck when I purchased and I was STUCK. Both rear wheels were spinning in the mud/dirt/forest debris. GREAT- I figured I would have to call a tow truck for 100 bucks to get me out of my stupidity....

I walked home and got some small carpet pieces and decided to at least TRY to get out on my own. After a half hour of gently rocking the vehicle and making use of the available materials in the area I was able to get back on the road.

Why did I post this? 1) I feel really good I didn't give up and spend 100 dollars on a tow truck. 2) I wanted to suggest people keep trying until they REALLY have no other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
After a half hour of gently rocking the vehicle.
Umm yeah that wasn't a good idea, it destroys your clutch

Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I was going to award you a gold star but I am fresh out. You will have to settle for this smart ass post.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
1. Not if done carefully

2. Not if OP doesn't have a clutch

A couple years ago I got a rental pickup stuck in some muddy slop on a jobsite. It was a Sunday, with no one else around. I had the same options as OP - call for help or keep trying. I kept trying and worked my way out, in much the same way as OP did.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
$100 tow bill or $2000 transmission replacement? A second vehicle and tow rope has worked for me. The worst thing about 4 wheel drive, is your ability to get in over your head and get really stuck.

I have a two wheeled drive pickup and have several for the last 15 years. I do also have a 4x4 for almost as much time and had several in work trucks. You can get into a bind in a hurry if you don't think things through.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
189,000 miles on the truck already so the clutch damage (if any) is irrelevant at this point. Perhaps I have damaged it by my actions BUT I wasn't going to spend 100 dollars today to save on potential damage done getting out of the ditch.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM

I am just so glad I was able to extract myself from a very difficult situation. While I walked back the mile to my house initially I was fearing the worst (100 bucks out of pocket just for investigating suspicious activity across the road). I felt so good when the truck finally eased out of the ditch.......

Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
The other option is the push it further into the ditch and light it on fire.

Good gawd, even with 190,000 miles, it is still cheaper to either use a two strap or a wrecker then risk breaking something further.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I did a stupid thing tonight. There was some activity on the property across the road from me and I decided to investigate. As I was driving down the road (one lane country road) I got distracted looking at what was going on and ran off the shoulder ending up three feet off the level of the road with a tree in front of me and another smaller tree ten feet behind my vehicle.I estimate the "grade" from where I ended up was about 30 degrees.

Being a cheap *astard I didn't buy a 4wd truck when I purchased and I was STUCK. Both rear wheels were spinning in the mud/dirt/forest debris. GREAT- I figured I would have to call a tow truck for 100 bucks to get me out of my stupidity....

I walked home and got some small carpet pieces and decided to at least TRY to get out on my own. After a half hour of gently rocking the vehicle and making use of the available materials in the area I was able to get back on the road.

Why did I post this? 1) I feel really good I didn't give up and spend 100 dollars on a tow truck. 2) I wanted to suggest people keep trying until they REALLY have no other options.
Congrats. Love the spirit and dedication. That's what people lost - ability to act themselves. Someone else will rack the weights at the gym, someone else will pull the truck out, someone else will fight for you, or a kid in a bunker will play video game called drone killing people. I command you. Screw hundred bucks, but hurray to the DIY or die man!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Congrats. Love the spirit and dedication. That's what people lost - ability to act themselves. Someone else will rack the weights at the gym, someone else will pull the truck out, someone else will fight for you, or a kid in a bunker will play video game called drone killing people. I command you. Screw hundred bucks, but hurray to the DIY or die man!
I have always HATED to ask for help. My world view is if I got myself into a situation it is up to me to get out of it. Asking for help is a sign of weakness.

I feel a sense of freedom that I didn't have to ask others for help.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive