Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Sunroofs?
I like Sunroofs 94 67.63%
I hate Sunroofs 24 17.27%
I am indifferent or have no experience with them 21 15.11%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times

Advertisements

Never had one before and we didn't want one in the latest vehicle, a '13 Equinox, since it was a $900 option, but the only one available within 300 miles with the color and options we wanted, also had the moonroof. Now my wife enjoys it, and often has it open during her short drives around the neighborhood. It will probably get old, and she will stop bothering with it eventually. Just having the screen open it does heat up the interior a good bit and I can feel it on my head. Not something I'm used to. I really doubt that we will use it once it hits summer down here in Houston. My wife always has the AC on full blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
I use mine once every six months or so when I look up and discover it's there. I just forget I have one sometimes. I use this car for work and usually have other stuff on my mind.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
My current car is the first that's ever had one, and technically it's a moonroof, so no sun rays when it's closed, I love it during warm weather but am always afraid a bird is gonna fly over and crap onto my seats or head

Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I don't see why people like Sunroofs in their car?

I don't want UV raves shining on my head or inside my car (that's why we tint our windows). I try to keep as much sunlight out of my car as possible--visors, etc.

Plus I always hear so many complaints that they leak when it rains.

So what is it that you like about Sunroofs?

Just curious.
I have only had one car without a sunroof or moonroof, and it was my one and only experiment buying a car without a sunroof. I hated the car, not because it was a bad car. It was a very nice car, but I hated not having a sunroof and as a result everything else about the car irked me to some extent.

Wait--I had a convertible a few years back; that didn't have a sunroof either. I hated that car as well, just for different reasons. Everything else has had a sunroof, or moonroof.

Sunroofs, and even more so, moonroofs, make interiors less claustrophobic, and they work at night too, ruling out the UV ray problem. One of my cars has a panoramic moonroof (ah, excuse me, a "pano" roof for the mani/pedi/cali/navi/vaca people). It's one of the best things ever, especially on a cold night when the moon and stars are out. I retract the shade and leave the glass closed. Or on a warm night, open the glass and the windows and it feels great. Not sure where the leak rumors come from because I have never had a leaky sunroof (or moonroof).

It pretty much boils down to what you want. I love the outdoors, I love being outdoors, I love seeing the outdoors, and I love cars with sunroofs that let the outdoors into the car, weather permitting. Some people don't like the sun, some people don't like the outdoors, or whatever. I presume some people don't care enough to spend the extra money for an uplevel model equipped with a moonroof, or live in a crap climate where it rains and/or snows all the time.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM

568 posts, read 2,420,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What I don't get is dual-climate control ... it's kinda like having smoking and non-smoking areas in a car.
I LOVE dual zone climate control. It's a godsend. My wife gets cold very easily and almost always has her temp set 5-10 degrees warmer on her side than mine when we're in our cars that have dual zone. We have an older Suburban without it and she's always shutting vents and complaining of being cold.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM

307 posts, read 685,227 times
This is the first car that I have that didn't have one and I miss having one. As for the "lack of headroom", I sit with my seat reclined back so my head is not close to the roof.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Ok so let me correct myself. My cars have had moonroofs. Today was a sunny 29* degree day here in southern Wisconsin. Drove with the moonroof all the way open and had the windows up. It was perfect.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I don't see why people like Sunroofs in their car?

I don't want UV raves shining on my head or inside my car (that's why we tint our windows). I try to keep as much sunlight out of my car as possible--visors, etc.

Plus I always hear so many complaints that they leak when it rains.

So what is it that you like about Sunroofs?

Just curious.
Had a car with a moonroof. LOVED it. It was tinted so it helped block some of those rays. And really, the rays did not "shine" on my head.

It was nice to open the roof and get some nice air flowing through and the extra light inside was great.

Some day, when I get another car, I will consider it again.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
I love my sunroof. I have already had it open this "spring", hey, I have volcanic heated seats and a proper Swedish heater so I can easily compensate for the chill.

I do like the feeling of warm feet and a coll breeze on the scalp.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,220 times
I open mine every time I get in my car. It's like a reflex now: turn car on, reach up and open sunroof, open both windows. Only time it gets closed is when it's raining, and even then the shade remains retracted. I even keep it open in the heat of summer and cold of winter, though I will keep my windows closed then so I can use the heat/AC and remain comfortable. It's gotten to the point where I feel claustrophobic if the sunroof and shade is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive