Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Eh, I live in a fairly middle class neighborhood of homes priced between $400K-$800K and most people drive old cars. The few Maseratis and higher end luxury cars are usually heading towards the part of the hood with the biggest concentration of $1.5M+ homes.
If you were in my city and the home prices were between $400-800k, you'd be living next to professional baseball players, doctors, lawyers, etc...

According to Dave Ramsey, the typical millionaire drives a 3 year old luxury vehicle. Many of them might want to have a nice vehicle, but their desire to not lose tons of money on things you know won't appreciate keeps them from buying new vehicles. My wife and a H&W friend who are fairly wealthy small business owners...they make over a million a year, live in a very nice older home (1970's vintage) they have redone the interior however, but it's not extravagant. Until recently, their garage had an S-Class Mercedes, a mid 1980's Porsche, an early 2000's 911' Carerra Convertible...Within the last few years, they did ditch their 80's 911, and began leasing their fun car (a Bentley Continental GTC).

For my wife and I, solidly middle class, with about $85k of joint income drive two Volkswagen Jetta's, one new, and one six years old. We'll likely have both until they're about 10 years old...at least I plan on owning the older of the two for another 4 years...the newest one we might try to keep a bit longer...might give it to my daughter in about 16 years We'll see if we still have fuel by then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
I have heard that overall the middle class seem to have the best overall cars.
67. Maybe...just maaaaaayyybe, 68. Or 68.5. Sort of hard to tell from here.

Quote:
For some reason the rich seem to love Volkswagen even though it's not expensive and Subaru station wagons from what i have seen.
Oh yes. Rich love Volkswagen. Also Subaru station wagons, from what I have seen.

Quote:
Can you tell me if this is true?
Indubitably. Also, goats.
You did remember the goats, I assume? And 68.5?
It is critically important, you do realise, correct.

Also Nissans. Don't forget one of those, along with the goat.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
With that being said, a new 3/4 ton diesel is pushing $70k, a loaded up SRT8 Challenger is over $40k, it seems like the average new vehicle is around $30k. Seems like these new cars make up much more than 6% of the vehicles on the road.
My wife and I combined make slightly more than that "average" income, have no debt other than a house and three old a $$ vehicles that are paid for and even for us I don't see how we could afford a new $40-50k vehicle. I think we've just gotten so used to not having a payment the thought of one scares us.
An SRT8 is not an average car. It's not a super expensive car, but it is more expensive than the average car.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 PM

221 posts, read 335,665 times
Quote:
With that being said, a new 3/4 ton diesel is pushing $70k, a loaded up SRT8 Challenger is over $40k, it seems like the average new vehicle is around $30k. Seems like these new cars make up much more than 6% of the vehicles on the road..
6 and 7 year loans, leasing, etc. make that happen. Gotta love inflation, eh?

Here's to seeing how this 6 year old car will last...I refuse to pay up

Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It looks like a stable of cars used by the pharmaceutical reps you see cruising in Plainfield.
I had wondered about that also, but according to my next-door neighbor, who is a local cop, these young Indian dudes all work on Wall Street.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
With that being said, a new 3/4 ton diesel is pushing $70k, a loaded up SRT8 Challenger is over $40k, it seems like the average new vehicle is around $30k. Seems like these new cars make up much more than 6% of the vehicles on the road.
My wife and I combined make slightly more than that "average" income, have no debt other than a house and three old a $$ vehicles that are paid for and even for us I don't see how we could afford a new $40-50k vehicle. I think we've just gotten so used to not having a payment the thought of one scares us.
Good points although I think you have the prices skewed up. Those are not the average new car being sold or on the road for price.

A lot of affordability will depend on a lot more than someone's gross income too. their personal debt to income ratios, their revolving expenses for things like utilities, housing, etc... will all come into play.

A debt free couple making $50K a year will be able to spend a lot more on a vehicle than the same couple with a big mortgage, student loans, living in a higher cost of living local, or other expenses.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Good points although I think you have the prices skewed up. Those are not the average new car being sold or on the road for price.

A lot of affordability will depend on a lot more than someone's gross income too. their personal debt to income ratios, their revolving expenses for things like utilities, housing, etc... will all come into play.

A debt free couple making $50K a year will be able to spend a lot more on a vehicle than the same couple with a big mortgage, student loans, living in a higher cost of living local, or other expenses.
I am thinking that a debt free couple making $50K a year will probably want to remain debt free and save for the next car so that they can pay cash for it. I mean if you have the home paid off, no student loan debt, no current car note, no concumer debt you are free and giving up that freedom is really hard. If you only have to pay living exspenses and property tax then you can save a lot of money during a 3 to 5 year period allowing you to pay cash for your next car or truck.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
There’s some truth to the generalization that the “middle class” (however we define it) emphasizes self-affirmation through consumption, be it luxury cars, McMansions, fancy electronics and so forth. The “lower classes” can’t afford it, while the upper classes don’t need to flaunt it. Of course, the super-wealthy are buying the Ferraris and so forth, and not the aspirational upper-middles. But I concur with the observation that a person with $200K savings is more likely to be driving a $50K Mercedes, than a person with $2M in savings.

Also, by “wealthy” in this thread we probably mean not the hedge-fund types but the near-wealthy, who are millionaires in net-worth but don’t own Learjets. A lifetime of thrift and business-savvy has taught such people the importance of avoiding costly depreciating assets.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There’s some truth to the generalization that the “middle class” (however we define it) emphasizes self-affirmation through consumption, be it luxury cars, McMansions, fancy electronics and so forth. The “lower classes” can’t afford it, while the upper classes don’t need to flaunt it. Of course, the super-wealthy are buying the Ferraris and so forth, and not the aspirational upper-middles. But I concur with the observation that a person with $200K savings is more likely to be driving a $50K Mercedes, than a person with $2M in savings.

Also, by “wealthy” in this thread we probably mean not the hedge-fund types but the near-wealthy, who are millionaires in net-worth but don’t own Learjets. A lifetime of thrift and business-savvy has taught such people the importance of avoiding costly depreciating assets.
You are talking the middle class millionaires I would guess. People that lived within their means and saved. Many of them started their own business. A co-worker and his wife both make well over $100K a year. They have paid off two homes. (One of those homes they have lived in for well over 25 years now.) Paid off their 2 kids education. Both kids are productive citizens working on there own careers. They have funded their retirement accounts to the toon of $2mill for him alone. He drives a 2008 Honda Accord, on the days that he doesn't ride his bike into work that is. Vacations are paid for in cash as is everything else. They don't buy it unless the money is there to buy it. Interestingly the money is always there.

My wife and I are heading in a similar direction. For us that is the place to be if we never get to the private jet set or Ferrari driving household. Still, what a place to be.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You are talking the middle class millionaires I would guess. People that lived within their means and saved. Many of them started their own business. A co-worker and his wife both make well over $100K a year. They have paid off two homes. (One of those homes they have lived in for well over 25 years now.) Paid off their 2 kids education. Both kids are productive citizens working on there own careers. They have funded their retirement accounts to the toon of $2mill for him alone. He drives a 2008 Honda Accord, on the days that he doesn't ride his bike into work that is. Vacations are paid for in cash as is everything else. They don't buy it unless the money is there to buy it. Interestingly the money is always there.

My wife and I are heading in a similar direction. For us that is the place to be if we never get to the private jet set or Ferrari driving household. Still, what a place to be.
A couple making combined $200k a year is considered 'upper class' by most, including our glorious leaders in Washington.

They likely got to where they are by the frugal spending and debt avoidance you mentioned. I think the point of this thread is that middle class people stay middle class through decades of bad financial decisions, including leasing luxury cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive