Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM

324 posts, read 883,729 times

Advertisements

I know it's not open to the public, but has anyone ever been to SEMA. There are a lot of places that cover it, but I was wondering if anyone has ever been or will be there this year (I think it is in Vegas). I'm excited to see what they've been cooking up and if there will be any cool debuts. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Been there, done that. Thankfully, no more.

It's too much hype and hustle and gimmicks and promotions to absorb in a couple of days.

The only way I could do it was to focus on specific product lines that were of interest to my business ... exhaust, suspension, and the like. You've got to go there with a plan and stick to it ... otherwise, you'll never get any business accomplished even though you want to see "wow factor" products coming out in the overall industry.

As a yardstick, if you're close by one of the major wholesale "merchandise marts" ... go there, SEMA's like trying to see all the vendors and manufacturers there in a day or two. You simply can't do it. Another comparison was the retail audio show in Denver a couple of weeks ago ... with 130+ vendors/manufacturers showing for 2 and a half days. You couldn't possibly visit them all, give them time to properly demo their product, and attend some of the interesting speakers at the forum.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I've heard it described as "larger than life" and "something for everyone." I've been looking at all of the updates on the SEMA website and it looks like they have everything you could possibly think of for cars! There are a couple car shows in the DC/Baltimore area every year, but from what I've seen on the website I just don't think they compare!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
My boyfriend is thinking of attending PRI in Orlando, FL in December.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My boyfriend is thinking of attending PRI in Orlando, FL in December.
I just looked that show up and it looks pretty cool. I think it would be such an exciting time to go to these cutting-edge car shows like SEMA. With all the advances in technology I'm sure there are just so many amazing new things being shown.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
SEMA sucks. Most of it capitalizes on the current stupid trends that plague the car market (ie thumpin subs, or 24" rims, etc). Whatever is "cool" that year dominates the show. My buddy went and brought back pictures, I about puked. He went the year following the release of The Fast and the Furious. They had Lincoln Navigators in there, all lowered down, with neon and decals all over it (not to mention the other atrocities he showed me). Then when the spinner-wheels hit the scene, the show was mobbed by everyone and their mothers marketing those retarded wheels. They even had some quads (4 wheelers) in the show sittin on 20" rims. You name it, it had bling-bling-yo all over it, it was puke-fest-a-rama that year!!!! He has refused to go since, he said it gets more childish and retarded each year.

Now the current trend seems to be those retarded "Year One" resto-mods all over the place. You know, the kind of crap that Foose and Coddington puke out all the time. "Hey, lets take an old Charger, re-paint it and bondo it, put in some digital dash pieces, some fancy new seats, a Hurst shifter, HID headlights, then lower it down 3" and put it on some 305/35R/20 Pirelli P-Zero tires and then sell it for 200k!" No thanks, Ill pass and skip the SEMA junk.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM

I guess most fans of Pimp My Ride would probably disagree! haha! I've never been, so I was just curious about the stuff that they had, the stuff I saw on the SEMA website just looked so different from anything I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive