Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

I've never own a car or truck that did this but I've seen plenty....where the car's idle will surge...it will go up then come down, then go up then come down, then go up then come down....I think i've seen it most notably on FWD vehicles for some reason. I recall a co workers 87 Honda CRX did it.

Taking a stab in the dark, my guess would be a vacuum leak where the intake mates up to the head, or maybe an ECM issue...just wondering if anyones ever had this isse on their car and what the cause/remedy was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I've never own a car or truck that did this but I've seen plenty....where the car's idle will surge...it will go up then come down, then go up then come down, then go up then come down....I think i've seen it most notably on FWD vehicles for some reason. I recall a co workers 87 Honda CRX did it.

Taking a stab in the dark, my guess would be a vacuum leak where the intake mates up to the head, or maybe an ECM issue...just wondering if anyones ever had this isse on their car and what the cause/remedy was.
Unfortunately, it can be any number of issues, or any combination of those issues. Vacuum leak(s) is the most common cause, but there's the occasional malfunctioning idle air control valve.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

Wow that is a lot of evidence that this problem occurs "most notably on FWD vehicles."

Why would FWD have anything to do with it?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Wow that is a lot of evidence that this problem occurs "most notably on FWD vehicles."

Why would FWD have anything to do with it?
Because they are of the Devil...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
My '87 Trans Am with 350 TPI has done this ever since I bought it. I've replaced all hoses, injectors, TPS, and IAC valve. It still does it, so I just live with it.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My '87 Trans Am with 350 TPI has done this ever since I bought it. I've replaced all hoses, injectors, TPS, and IAC valve. It still does it, so I just live with it.
This may be an oversimplification, but does it have a performance cam in it? Those "lope" at idle.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I am getting now in my 1998 F-150. I think it is a vacuum problem too. I probably won't fix it. So my idle occasionally runs high and wastes a little gas. It will probably cost over $100 to get fixed. Not worth it.

Another thing that happens with bad vacuum is losing the ability to control the climate control source. It will default to the defroster if I am not mistaken. You can't divert the air to the vents or the floor.

Another rant about fords (domestics?): when in the combination vent/floor position, the AC compressor is enabled. I hate that. I wish the AC compressor was an independent switch like it is on Japanese cars.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
1. taking stab in the dark - what car is it? Read your post 5 times, can't find it.
2. Fords had major issues with ISCs, idle speed control solenoid.
3. without knowing the car, it's everyone's guess. Just because you had Honda mentioned, older Hondas had coolant heated idle speed valve, air valve, that needed to be taken apart and cleaned.
4. for vacuum leaks, buy can of brake cleaner, stick straw in, and start the engine. Give quick shots of cleaner moving around throttle body and intake. When engine bogs, you got it. Sometimes even red silicone applied to well cleaned gasket on the outside may fix it.
5. On some vehicles, transmission can cause this.
But like I said - everyone's shooting in the dark here.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Oh, and last but not least. EGR will do this too.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
vacuum leak, build up on crucial parts, Mass air flow is dirty, Throttle body needs cleaning/ re-adaption, tune up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive