Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times

Advertisements

Yesterday on the freeway I was clipped in the rear, the left rear quarter panel will need to be replaced. After the truck clipped me in rush hour traffic I went to the shoulder thinking we would trade information and call the police, well...instead I look into the mirror to see a very young kid at the wheel texting, and instead of pulling into the shoulder, he just sped around me. He didn't go very far, in fact about 2 ft in front of me while trying to make his escape, rush hour actually helped me for once. I was able to take his license plate number and shoot a video of the truck.

I contacted my insurance company and they will be doing everything they can to contact the owner of the vehicle and go after them for the claim. This morning I went to the police station to file a hit and run report, I didn't wait at the scene for two reasons: 1, the fled and I followed to gather information and 2, I had to get somewhere on time.

Anyone have any similar experiences, an you share your thoughts about the process? There's no way in heck I'm going to pay a deductible, so let's catch this ahole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:09 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Good luck. Same thing just happened to me but he stayed. Hit my drivers whole side on purpose on my brand new 60k car. I went and filed a claim with his insurance and they denied it. I'm going after him in small claims court. POS

Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Good luck. Same thing just happened to me but he stayed. Hit my drivers whole side on purpose on my brand new 60k car. I went and filed a claim with his insurance and they denied it. I'm going after him in small claims court. POS
WOW, I really hope you can get some sort of justice out of this. Did you contact the driver of the at fault vehicle? I wonder if he would rather press his own insurance company into picking up the tab instead of going to court and losing (waste of time and more money)?

Yup, my car is a 42k sports car, I guess it could always be worse off though - damage will need to replace left rear quarter panel and left rear underskirt, probably 2-2.5k I would estimate. The police said that the likelihood of them not having insurance is good (the insurance company and police are both going to pursue the owners), so in other words I will probably end up having to fork over 500 for the deductible, but the insurance company said because I'm not the at fault driver that my premium wouldn't go up much if any.

What I really want out of this is justice. If they aren't insured they need to be fined. If they hit and run they need to be fined. If they don't have a license they need to be fined and possible jail time needs to be considered. We can't just sit around and let aholes run around without consequences. I'll be a happy man if they catch this idiotic stain on society.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,912,740 times
Yeah I hope they get that jerk. My cars have been it so many times in shopping parking lots while I was shopping and not once did they leave a note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive