Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah. I remember pulling up to the Olympic Club Garage in San Francisco in my Mazda3... They were nice about it and all, it is classy as well as snooty and $40/day is $40/day. But everything else was Mercedes E, Lexus RX, Audi S5, Toyota Prius. In the FiDi, same thing. You won't see many 3/A4/C models there. Entry-level guys are taking Bart to work since it's $300/month to park. It's more of a bimodal split of nicer normal cars (newer Camrys, Accords, Chrysler 300, etc) and newer mid-range luxury (5-series, A6) with a good number of S-classes/7-series/LSes to round it out.

A 328i definitely doesn't scream making it in the Bay Area or LA. It's basically the Civic or affluent areas. 5-/E-class screams low level middle-management, 7-/S- one of the 50 VPs employed on the floor. It just means you've got a good job, not that you're a somebody with "prestige and power."
Yeah. Even a few years ago, it wasn't quite as pronounced, but as they restarted the rocket ship that the rents are chained to you're seeing that whole part of SF turn into a rich man's playground through-and-through. I've been in many of the new residential towers in SOMA; when you're talking about paying $600,000 for a studio and $1.5m for a two-bedroom, the sort of money that it takes to afford live there generally entails that you can also afford to buy a top-tier car - that, and yeah, the Priuses Gal I was seeing who lived in the Milennium Tower on Mission had a Prius, and she wasn't the only one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
My favorite is the yearly cruise go-er. Prius in the parking stall, but oh hells no are they giving up on their cruise =D

Just fly, way more fuel efficient if you're worried about the polar bears.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
My favorite is the yearly cruise go-er. Prius in the parking stall, but oh hells no are they giving up on their cruise =D

Just fly, way more fuel efficient if you're worried about the polar bears.
Yeah... my S2000 sits in a garage here, enshrined on either side by a Bentley Continental (ugly beast IMHO) and a Range Rover HSE. My bike (as in, bicycle) sees more mileage per average month than my car, no joke. I tend to use my car for day- or roadtrips on my day off; keeps the mileage and maintenance on it low (I've put 40k on it in the six years I've owned it), and also keeps my monthly costs for gas and insurance low.

I love it when I get browbeaten by people for driving a sports car with a bunch of engine work by someone who drives a Prius; I explained this in another thread... I ride my bike everywhere, am a vegetarian who gets a lot of his veggies at farmer's markets or at least makes sure it's locally sourced, I grow a lot of my own vegetables and spices, I just changed all the lights in my place to LED's that burn next to no electricity and last for a decade or more, all energy star appliances, reuse water bottles and containers, and generally have a lower carbon footprint that probably 95% of the US, including those Prius drivers I just also happen to love cars, whether it's a 9000rpm screamer or a big V8 thumper.

It is funny to me how the Prius has indeed become a fixture of upper-class America. The original Prius was a dowdy little piece, but the newer models can be kitted out with an interior that's almost as nice as anything you'd find in a Lexus, and IMHO they really don't look all that bad either, though they're still not my cup of organic Sri Lankan fair-trade tea.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It is funny to me how the Prius has indeed become a fixture of upper-class America. The original Prius was a dowdy little piece, but the newer models can be kitted out with an interior that's almost as nice as anything you'd find in a Lexus, and IMHO they really don't look all that bad either, though they're still not my cup of organic Sri Lankan fair-trade tea.
Maybe in California? They're more middle class here, associated with certain subgroups but not always. Wealthier people often get something more expensive, at least they're not common there. I've met a few Prius owners who really like them, one of them partly liked it for the sake of having new tech.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Theres nothing upper class about a Prius in California or anywhere else.

Please cut the BS.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Theres nothing upper class about a Prius in California or anywhere else.

Please cut the BS.
You want me to drive around Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and snap pictures of Priuses in peoples' driveways and in parking garages?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
Prius not upper class in TX either.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
if it's dirty and dinged up it ain't prestigous no more
I know that you mean, but some vehicles were meant to get dirty and dinged up. Shows they have been put to good use and are not just garage queens. It doesn't automatically mean they are neglected mechanically.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Just sayin', you're often wrong.

This. For many of us, especially car guys, the differeces are not subtle, and they are important, as cars are much more than a way to get from point A to point B. Sometimes, they are about taking the longest, twistiest route from point A to point B. Sometimes they are about getting from point A to point B the fastest. Sometimes they are just about enjoying the drive from point A to wherever. Sometimes they are, like clothes, about expressing yourself. Sometimes they are a little bit of everything above.

My own BMW 7 series was used, but was bought for fun, style, and comfort. It cost very little to maintain, but was a great place to spend time:

I like cars like that. And I will have another one.

I always loved that style 7 series. About 12-13 years ago I was next to one that had a manual tranmisson & I started drooling. The Manual was a European option not available in the United States. The guy driving it must have had it shipped over.

It's a shame I will never get to own one of these great cars.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Where do Jaguars and Mazerati's fit in the luxury car pecking order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive