Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that posters in this forum mention imported cars - mainly German or Japanese - much more than I see on the local roads. For a "cheap" family car it's a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry rather than a Dodge Stratus or a Pontiac Grand Am. For a "grandpa" car it's a Toyota Avalon rather than a Buick Park Avenue. For an "affordable luxury car" it's more often an Acura or Lexus or Audi rather than a Cadillac or Lincoln.

Why is this? Is driving domestic autos just a Midwest thing, or are the members of this forum disproportionately enthused about foreign cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
I believe it's because they base their experience off of early to mid 90's vehicles, when Japanese were at the top and Americans were behind. They don't take into account that Japanese cars weren't always on top and American cars weren't always on the bottom.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've noticed that posters in this forum mention imported cars - mainly German or Japanese - much more than I see on the local roads. For a "cheap" family car it's a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry rather than a Dodge Stratus or a Pontiac Grand Am. For a "grandpa" car it's a Toyota Avalon rather than a Buick Park Avenue. For an "affordable luxury car" it's more often an Acura or Lexus or Audi rather than a Cadillac or Lincoln.

Why is this? Is driving domestic autos just a Midwest thing, or are the members of this forum disproportionately enthused about foreign cars?
The imports have been eating the American car makers lunch for decades now. The reason is simple.......you want a good DEPENDABLE car buy an import. If you like fixing your car buy American.

I must be nuts 'cause I won't part with my Chevy trucks.

But..............

The Toyota Avalon is one tasty lux-o-mobile!! Oh, yeah!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is driving domestic autos just a Midwest thing,
Guess so. You can't go a minute on the streets of SoCal without seeing a Lexus or BMW. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Dodge Stratus, Pontiac Grand Am, or Buick Park Ave.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I believe it's because they base their experience off of early to mid 90's vehicles, when Japanese were at the top and Americans were behind. They don't take into account that Japanese cars weren't always on top and American cars weren't always on the bottom.
That's a pretty good reason; I agree. American automakers have not been able to shake the stigma of being less reliable than their Japanese counterparts. Even the last few years with all the problems companies like Toyota have had, it hasn't really tarnished their brands that much. On the same token, progress that American car companies have made have not really been embraced by the public either.

The Ford Fusion is a great example of this, it's won numerous awards and best in class among publications, but to a lot of people, they just hear the word "Ford" and immediately discount it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM

48 posts, read 107,285 times
Perception is king...

"Toyotas are safe", but the reality is they get some of the worst ratings in the latest crash tests.
"Hondas last forever", but reality is they have had a poor record in transmission failures for some of their older V6 models.

My 1992 Cavalier had 210,000 miles when it was sold - original transmission and engine. Although I will admit I lost count how many wheel bearings I went through

Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Fox View Post
Perception is king...

My 1992 Cavalier had 210,000 miles when it was sold - original transmission and engine. Although I will admit I lost count how many wheel bearings I went through

And you just proved the point. I also safely bet, bearings were not the only things replaced on your "indestructible" vehicle.
This is a beat up thread. Pointless. It's not which cars are better, it's jingo patriotism vs practicality.
Personally, every time I buy a true domestic, I regret it gravely. JUst like I have one now. Paint and sell next. I'll never buy one again, getting too old for continuous DIY repairs.

Oh, and btw, F Fusion became sort of a life saving vehicle in all posts of this nature. But I do have 2 questions. Anyone has any LONG TERM reliability data on it? As it's been around for only few years. So what is there to judge?
2nd - wait about 4 more years, when Fusions will cross into 100 000 miles on them, and see hell break loose online.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
simple:
1) people who want reliability/high resale value buy Japanese
2) people who want best handling/drivability/luxury buy German
3) budget people buy something else

Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
There are simply more people interested in imports than domestics. There are a variety of reasons but it's also important to take into account just how many import makes there are compared to three domestic makes.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
My El Camino is a rock and so was my first one. That was one car that was bulletproof. My worse cars have been imports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive