Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,888,064 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest problem is parking next to big pickups and SUVs. The kids get out of the back doors and wack my wife's car. It is amazing how just in a few months she has picked up so many dings. For that reason, I am putting off replacing that car until she retires. BTW, she has to park in handicap places but that still is no guarantee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,112,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I think the biggest problem is parking next to big pickups and SUVs. The kids get out of the back doors and wack my wife's car. It is amazing how just in a few months she has picked up so many dings. For that reason, I am putting off replacing that car until she retires. BTW, she has to park in handicap places but that still is no guarantee.
These days most people have zero respect for other peoples property and as you say,they will slam a door right into your vehicle without a second thought.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,076,716 times
Most new cars will get door dings easily. I do not think it is just a function of thin sheet metal, but also a function of the weight of car doors these days. With doors so full of beams for better crash protection, electronics to operate things, etc, they have a heft to them and will hit with some force, even if not moving all that hard.

Cars also no longer have the rub strips they had in the 80's and 90's. The trim down the sides which "caught" a lot of wild doors back in the day.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,908,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
These days most people have zero respect for other peoples property and as you say,they will slam a door right into your vehicle without a second thought.
Two times, I saw women just open their door full-on into my S2000 - once on the driver's side door, the other in the rear passenger's quarter. Both times, they just flung the door open... the first one to put in groceries, the second one to get her kid out. In both situations, I gave them an earful about respect and then got their license, contact info, and insurance, and took my car in to get the dent pulled and a professional touch-up. Nothing like an increased monthly premium to make people care

Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Two times, I saw women just open their door full-on into my S2000 - once on the driver's side door, the other in the rear passenger's quarter. Both times, they just flung the door open... the first one to put in groceries, the second one to get her kid out. In both situations, I gave them an earful about respect and then got their license, contact info, and insurance, and took my car in to get the dent pulled and a professional touch-up. Nothing like an increased monthly premium to make people care
That's good...if we all did that then maybe there would be more respect for other's property imho.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 AM

19 posts, read 36,286 times
Some people are just rude when it comes to other people's cars. I try to park as far away from other cars as possible because I don't want dings on my car. They either park so close to you that when they open their car door you get dents and scratches on your car.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 36,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi Icy Tea--

I'm at risk of getting flamed out to no end, but if you look at any car with dents on the rear corners, it's inevitably a female driver (especially minivans and SUV's, but any cars really). A -lot- of women I know have problems with depth perception and struggle, big time, with backing cars up. I'm not sure why.

As to doors getting dinged, it's more likely to happen in the city or when you're a poor parker and have a hard time getting the car between the lines (which means the driver of the car next to you inevitably dings yours as he tries to get into his car).

Lastly, the steel on today's cars is so damned thin that even a hailstorm can cause thousands of dollars of cosmetic damage. And that doesn't count if you set something heavy down on the car, which could easily dent the new ones, too.
Yes where I park at work this dumb guy that parks next to me all the time dented my car. I said to him did you hit my car and he was like no I did t but there was white paint on my black car and he has white car. I never park my car next to others, but only at work and I know he hit my car.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 AM

11,157 posts, read 29,394,424 times
Hard working Late model Super Duty, Heavy Duty pick-up trucks by Ford, Dodge and GM tend too have a few dents nd dings after a few years of hard construction work and Bad weather snow plowing abuse

Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john360 View Post
Some people are just rude when it comes to other people's cars. I try to park as far away from other cars as possible because I don't want dings on my car. They either park so close to you that when they open their car door you get dents and scratches on your car.
Same here,but it seems like the parking gets tighter all the time and the type of vehicles I drive take an "old school" parking spot and the spaces are now made for a Prius or something simular...hell,you could park 6 Smart cars in the foot print of my shop truck

Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM

217 posts, read 326,778 times
This is a complete perception topic that is solely based on opinion and not facts.

My Soul has no dents on it *knock on wood* and I've had it for 14 months. In fact, now that I think of it, I haven't seen a single KIA Soul in the Orlando area with a dent on it. It's all perception and obviously who is driving the vehicle. May not even be about the driver of a car. Cars get damaged by pedestrians all the time. Could be drunk off their ass or they may just be an angry person who likes messing with property that's not theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive