Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
He has a Fountain. I do not know the model, but I think it is pretty customized. He runs it on Lake St. Clair. I am not sure what the new boat is, but it is bigger and slower but more expensive.

I hope to get a small boat to have floating parties and pull tubers. I am guessing maybe a 4 Winns bow rider. We are on the Detroit River and a pontoon boat is not safe. We do not have anyone interested in water skiing in our family. I am more into sailing. Someday I will get a 25 - 36' Jensen (Cal) sailboat. they are decent boats and I like the name.

Anyway back to today and cars. . . . No on the corvette. It is too small and uncomfortable and only holds two. I am regrettably moving on to a big sedan because I must, not because it is my top choice. We have a problem with stiffness with age in our family and when I take a long drive in my Camaro, I have to lean on the hood of the car for ten minutes before I can stand up. (Yoga helps, but only a little) Plus I often drive 3-4 family members or clients/experts/coworkers with me and I need something that can hold them comfortably. I have a Jensen Healey for short little summer trips when I want a toy. Not fast, but really fun to drive around, plus my name is on it - how cool is that?

Thus I must go with big, comfortable and seats 4. I choose to stick with the big three and I insist on fun and unique vehicles. After narrowing it down to G8 GXP, AWD 5.7 Charger (good in bad weather, but common, and sub par performance) and CTS-V (amazing performance and handling, but CTS is super common and the V is crazy expensive). The G8 wins, but I will probably eventually add a suspension upgrade (Pedder?) and may play around with boosting performance if I find myself with extra time and money one day. First I have to replace the truck I use for snowy days, and then a boat and a dock, and finish the house, get 5 kids though college and wife through masters program . . . .

By the time I get around to looking at a turbo charger I may be too old to drive. That is why that already built G8 has some appeal to me even though it is an automatic.

This discussion leads me to a different question:

At what point is horsepower enough for a street car? Someone mentioned the difference between 600 HP and 900 HP will not really be noticed in street use. What about the difference between 600 and 400? Where is the "enough" point for a street only car?
Well the ZR1 and Shelby GT500 are slower than their N/A "Lesser" models since the Z06 Corvette and Boss 302 Mustang will beat either of their higher performance supercharged versions at a Race track and both cost less to purchase.

The Boss and Z06 have perfect balance between High performance and still maintain great drivability where they are great at being an absolute beast on the track and a car that is mild mannered enough to be daily driven and still carry a full factory warranty without any major issues.

So between 400+-600 HP is perfect IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Plus over the top hard to drive Car that will most likely kill you if you try to push it beyond your driving limits has always been the Dodge Viper.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
At what point is horsepower enough for a street car? Someone mentioned the difference between 600 HP and 900 HP will not really be noticed in street use. What about the difference between 600 and 400? Where is the "enough" point for a street only car?
The difference between 400 and 600 is being able to baby the car at 600hp levels and still be as fast as it was at 400hp levels.

My father has a 2009 S550 with a flash tune, it makes about 420hp. Even though it's a very heavy car, it'll do 0-60 in about 5 sec with the 1/4 mile at 13.5 or so.

That's fast enough to hang with most cars on the road if he wanted to, and without having to madly shift gears.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The difference between 400 and 600 is being able to baby the car at 600hp levels and still be as fast as it was at 400hp levels.

My father has a 2009 S550 with a flash tune, it makes about 420hp. Even though it's a very heavy car, it'll do 0-60 in about 5 sec with the 1/4 mile at 13.5 or so.

That's fast enough to hang with most cars on the road if he wanted to, and without having to madly shift gears.
That is what i am thinking. A stock GXP will do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. If I boosted the HP, would I really ever drive it faster than that on a street? I have driven some Italian cars, Porsches and vettes that seemed insanely fast, but I do not think they were even that fast.I did not push them to their limits because I did not need to (plus there was usually not that much room) Do people really push a car on the street to a sub 4 second 0-60? I really do not care what a car will do on a track. The closest track I know of is an hour plus away and as far as I know not generally open for public cars to drive on. Other than my upcoming class and 8 laps in a nascar car (birthday present), I probably never will drive on it again.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
I do not care who built it, it doesn't get 24 mpg and make 900hp. Just another over rated LS engine build. It can make a solid true 740-770hp, if at sea level and fine tuned it might get 790hp. God knows i hate it when these companies over rate these things! Guess as long as there are guilable people they will keep making bs hp claims .

Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Quote:
That is what i am thinking. A stock GXP will do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. If I boosted the HP, would I really ever drive it faster than that on a street? I have driven some Italian cars, Porsches and vettes that seemed insanely fast, but I do not think they were even that fast.I did not push them to their limits because I did not need to (plus there was usually not that much room) Do people really push a car on the street to a sub 4 second 0-60? I really do not care what a car will do on a track. The closest track I know of is an hour plus away and as far as I know not generally open for public cars to drive on. Other than my upcoming class and 8 laps in a nascar car (birthday present), I probably never will drive on it again.
Yes. Yes there are those of us that run our cars balls out on the street on a regular basis.

And you live quite close to a great track, Milan.

Im thinking you're better off with a stock car, the modified one won't be as bad maintence wise as some people here make it out to be but it sounds like you're inexperienced with performance cars in general, I would start off with something mild. Either way bring it to the Woodward dream cruise in August and ill buy you a beer. lol.

Last edited by SK360; 05-21-2013 at 05:01 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
as much as I still love and enjoy cars and performance, it's been decades since i've truly wrenched on one. So if I wanted to put more ponies under my foot, these days i'd have to lean towards something strong from the factory ie new stang gt. I see my son in law's (and their friends) tuner cars in the 500-700hp range, and just like the old days when they run they run fast. But they dont always run 100% of the time. And while they have shops to work on the cars, and the right tools to do so, i'm past that stage. I also havent been on a track in decades, so that much power would almost be wasted on me on the street.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Yes. Yes there are those of us that run our cars balls out on the street on a regular basis.

And you live quite close to a great track, Milan.

Im thinking you're better off with a stock car, the modified one won't be as bad maintence wise as some people here make it out to be but it sounds like you're inexperienced with performance cars in general, I would start off with something mild. Either way bring it to the Woodward dream cruise in August and ill buy you a beer. lol.
I hope to bring the jensen Healy to the woodwward cruise if I get it put back together on time. it is more unique. other than my 1973 camaro I had in 1981 to 1983 I have not driven any majorly modified cars. I have driven but not owned several super cars though but they were all stock.

my camaro was a maintenance nightmare I was for ever tinkering with the carburetor which was too big for the manifold and constantly replacing the glass packs because they hung so low. this car would obviously be better built but it would still be another hobby/project which I don't need.

I got to drive a ferrari on a track in michigam in my youth but I do not remember where it was. could have been milan. maybe jackson. not sure when I wsd young I never paid much attention to where I was

Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Yeah, I don't think you'll have a maintence nightmare with the modded G8, it sounds like a stout build. More then likely run a long long time with oil changes and gasoline. But in the off chance it doesn't you need to be ready for that too.

I loved my G8, I will have another some day.

Cars are a sick expensive hobby that I wish upon no one, but I couldn't live without it

Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
He has a Fountain. I do not know the model, but I think it is pretty customized. He runs it on Lake St. Clair. I am not sure what the new boat is, but it is bigger and slower but more expensive.

I hope to get a small boat to have floating parties and pull tubers. I am guessing maybe a 4 Winns bow rider. We are on the Detroit River and a pontoon boat is not safe. We do not have anyone interested in water skiing in our family. I am more into sailing. Someday I will get a 25 - 36' Jensen (Cal) sailboat. they are decent boats and I like the name.

Anyway back to today and cars. . . . No on the corvette. It is too small and uncomfortable and only holds two. I am regrettably moving on to a big sedan because I must, not because it is my top choice. We have a problem with stiffness with age in our family and when I take a long drive in my Camaro, I have to lean on the hood of the car for ten minutes before I can stand up. (Yoga helps, but only a little) Plus I often drive 3-4 family members or clients/experts/coworkers with me and I need something that can hold them comfortably. I have a Jensen Healey for short little summer trips when I want a toy. Not fast, but really fun to drive around, plus my name is on it - how cool is that?

Thus I must go with big, comfortable and seats 4. I choose to stick with the big three and I insist on fun and unique vehicles. After narrowing it down to G8 GXP, AWD 5.7 Charger (good in bad weather, but common, and sub par performance) and CTS-V (amazing performance and handling, but CTS is super common and the V is crazy expensive). The G8 wins, but I will probably eventually add a suspension upgrade (Pedder?) and may play around with boosting performance if I find myself with extra time and money one day. First I have to replace the truck I use for snowy days, and then a boat and a dock, and finish the house, get 5 kids though college and wife through masters program . . . .

By the time I get around to looking at a turbo charger I may be too old to drive. That is why that already built G8 has some appeal to me even though it is an automatic.

This discussion leads me to a different question:

Cool, not too many can actually say they own a true 100mph boat. In the bars they are plentiful, out on the water it's a different story. I actually met Reggie Fountain , twice. Talk about a guy that will do whatever it takes to win.
Yeah, I think my go-fast boat days are gone. I not have a little 17' bowrider with a 4.3 in it. I put gas in it, and do oil changes other than that I just use it.
Why don't you try and find a super clean low mileage G8, do all the suspension upgrades that you can and if it bores you after a while then add a power adder ? That way you know exactly what is done to the car.
I drove a 10 second Fox body Mustang on the street for about 4 years. To get one of those in the 10's takes around 600hp. Now that car was set up for drag racing, so it had slicks on it the whole time. Even with slicks on the street, you could spin the tires pretty much all the way thru 3rd gear.. and you would have to steer the hell out of it. The few times I had it on a street tire it was just plain sick. At that hp range and more if you don't keep that car pointed in the right direction things will happen fast , too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yes ..100mph plus boats do break...often...and like fast bikes it takes a skill level very few possess to run them...also like bikes a lot of folks get lucky and run them ton up,but they are clueless as to how close to not making it back to the ramp they actually are..fast boats kill stupid people all the time and kill skilled ones more than I would like to think about.
Very true statement. I've been 90's on the water more than I can count and over 100 just a couple of times. Things happen REALLY fast .. been in 4 mishaps. All could have been deadly but lucked out in all of them. A stuff, a hook , a flat spin and someone hooked in front of us at about 80ish in a poker run. Very scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I do not care who built it, it doesn't get 24 mpg and make 900hp. Just another over rated LS engine build. It can make a solid true 740-770hp, if at sea level and fine tuned it might get 790hp. God knows i hate it when these companies over rate these things! Guess as long as there are guilable people they will keep making bs hp claims .
Sure it could make 900hp... it all depends on the guy working the load on the dyno..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive