Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times

Advertisements

I'm getting into car accesory installation and would like to know some good books on speaker system installation navigational system installation bluetooth remote starts and alarm system installation etc.. etc..

I'm eager tol learn.

Any advice will be greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
the12volt.com is an excellent source, as is diyma.com.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
That market has shrunk considerably over the last 2 decades because cars are being made with much better OEM systems. Personally, I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything on the 7 cars I bought in the last 10 years. I don't see that market coming back. On the other hand, I could see repair of OEM systems becoming a major need as these ridiculously complex infotainment systems aren't necessarily meant to last. BMW for example only warranties i-Drive for 4 years, and it's not covered under their CPO warranty. Replacing it costs thousands of dollars on a 4 year old car!

The majority of people that really care about stereos and nav and have money to spend on it just buy new cars. Retrofitting aftermarket systems is mostly a low end business now. Making matters worse, the "better" stock systems in cars produced in the last 10-15 years tend to be heavily integrated into the vehicle. Even as these cars age and the systems wear out, they're not cheap or easy to replace.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
That market has shrunk considerably over the last 2 decades because cars are being made with much better OEM systems. Personally, I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything on the 7 cars I bought in the last 10 years. I don't see that market coming back. On the other hand, I could see repair of OEM systems becoming a major need as these ridiculously complex infotainment systems aren't necessarily meant to last. BMW for example only warranties i-Drive for 4 years, and it's not covered under their CPO warranty. Replacing it costs thousands of dollars on a 4 year old car!

The majority of people that really care about stereos and nav and have money to spend on it just buy new cars. Retrofitting aftermarket systems is mostly a low end business now. Making matters worse, the "better" stock systems in cars produced in the last 10-15 years tend to be heavily integrated into the vehicle. Even as these cars age and the systems wear out, they're not cheap or easy to replace.
First of all I would like to say thankyou for the input. Its helpful and you do bring up some interesting points. I geuss Ican specialize and sound system repair. Most dealerships Ihave worked out just swap parts out. So Igeuss Ican do that but be able to install aftermarket sound system if need be.

I'm also counting on the sound system being complex and I hope it is because then there's a greater chance they will take the vehicle to me and pay 2 to 3x less rather then fix it themselves.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
The key today, and what you'd want to learn, is integration. People want things integrated with their existing systems, whether its an ipod, bluetooth, amplifiers, etc. Smart starts also still sell well, where aftermarket alarms, not so well any more. I know honda too had a radio issue that affected several years accords, and people started fixing the boards on ebay and shipping them out, as at the dealer it was a $1000 repair, but can be done via ebay/yourself for 100.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
These days this has become quite complex! (For later 90's and newer vehicles.)

Start by first understanding basic automotive electrical systems. Search google.com for the following words to find books on this...

book automotive electrical

Then to read in general about new automotive electrical systems, read the following book...

Bosch Automotive Electrics Automotive Electronics: Systems and Components: Robert Bosch: 9780837610504: Amazon.com: Books

Note: I see the above may not be available and a new book is coming out here...

Bosch Automotive Electrics and Automotive Electronics: Systems and Components, Networking and Hybrid Drive (Bosch Professional Automotive Information): Robert Bosch GmbH: 9783658017835: Amazon.com: Books

Then next read the installation documentation for whatever gizmo you buy (stereo, GPS, navigation).

And MOST important [these days] is to get a factory electrical diagrams manual for your specific vehicle - Part of a factory service manual set you can order from the dealer. That will tell you what wire is for what in your specific car...

That is *VERY* important these days because a car can have 80 different computer modules connected via 3 different local area computer networks. With that said, you could accidentally tap into a computer network wire and then cause 30 of the vehicle's computer modules to stop working. Then the car would not start!

The factory radio may also contain a computer module and handle warning sounds. It would be connected to a computer network wire. The car's computer network or its diagnostics might not be "happy" if that connection was suddenly removed! (You might get a check engine light!)

And some cars like Volvos use a fiber optic local area network for the sound system. You wouldn't want to "cut" into one of those.

(Not to mention air bag and safety related wires, etc.)

Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
I would think the installation instructions on the side of the box would do just fine.You dont need a book to install them .

Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I would think the installation instructions on the side of the box would do just fine.You dont need a book to install them .
In a 20 year old car, sure...

Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Obviously you know absolutely nothing about any of this.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
OP, you're asking for the impossible IMO. Car stereo installation used to be easy peasy. But now, because of integration with other components, security codes/protocols, add on accessories... it is VERY car specific, and any book you find probably won't be of much real world help, because it would have to be very generic.

As an example, the 2002 911 Turbo is the most popular one to have from the 996 generation. There are several reasons, but a big one is that from 2003 on, Porsche used the MOST system, which made it extremely expensive to ditch the factory stereo and navigation and you weren't able to use the factory amplifier anymore without the factory stereo. In the 2002, you can install your own in-dash system and still keep the factory amps and speakers without having to mess with that wiring at all. No car installation book is going to be able to tell you something like that, it's just too specific.

Ah... I remember the old days... when 1980's model BMW 5 series had a radio fuse. If you pulled it, the odometer would stop and your mileage would stay that way. If you put an aftermarket HU in, you just bypassed the factory wiring, and if you were an unscrupulous person, you would just run the car without the radio fuse so your mileage would never go up.

You probably won't be able to find that info in any car stereo book either LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive