Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 PM

85 posts, read 260,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You just said the magic words. I question whether you are properly understanding the law in your state. Do you have a cite that we can look at to confirm?
From an Oregon Department of Transportation press release on November 23, 2009 (same rules still apply);

According to Oregon law, auxiliary and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. They must be dimmed or turned off within 500 feet of approaching an oncoming vehicle and 350 feet when following another vehicle.

It's all here, especially #18;

Transportation Safety Vehicle Equipment and Safety Standards

I have personally witnessed vehicles pulled over by the police just because they had their fogs on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:54 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
I'm on the other side of the country. We're allowed to use fog/auxiliary lights here. They are factory wired to shut off only when the HIGHBEAMS are engaged. They can be used at all other times. These are bumper mounted and shoot low and wide--especially to the right. They don't blind oncoming traffic, even with a lift and oversized tires. They really help.

It looks like your Oregon code #18 was revised and is talking about lights greater then 300 candlepower. That's how I read it but I'm not sure though. However, personally I never intend to go to Oregon.

Over here it's a stock light wired to be used only when your LOW BEAMS are on. Flick the highbeam switch and threy shut off.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Over here it's a stock light wired to be used only when your LOW BEAMS are on. Flick the highbeam switch and threy shut off.
Same here. But if you look on YouTube, there are instructions on how to shortcut that on many rigs.

Surely the fog lights on a Dodge pickup on the west coast are the same as those on the east coast?

Ultimately, there's a reason they're called fog lights. No fog, no fog lights!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:00 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
I don't know about over there but if you saw the numbers of deer around here, I'm sure you'd like to have the area near your car lit up also, as well as reflecting eyes in the field that regular low beams don't show. I like to have the warning. True, it might not do much good at 70 MPH but most roads around here are rural, 50MPH and below. You can stop in time. I have done that several times. There are also a bunch of idiots texting and clueless while walking that I can't see when turning with regular head lights but my Auxiliary lights show them.
I understand there is a way to bypass the switch on my dodge but it is illegal to use them with high beams as far as I understand. Perfectly legal with the low beams though.

You don't like using them, so be it. Perhaps it is illegal there, doesn't concern me. I, however, will continue to use them as they help out considerably, are perfectly legal, and don't bother oncoming traffic. I like to do anything to make me a safer driver and being able to see at night without blinding others is surly one way. Low beams on a ram have a lot to be desired IMO but add the legal, stock auxiliaries and it lights up good. Just not at the distance of the high beams.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know about over there but if you saw the numbers of deer around here, I'm sure you'd like to have the area near your car lit up also, as well as reflecting eyes in the field that regular low beams don't show. I like to have the warning. True, it might not do much good at 70 MPH but most roads around here are rural, 50MPH and below. You can stop in time. I have done that several times. There are also a bunch of idiots texting and clueless while walking that I can't see when turning with regular head lights but my Auxiliary lights show them.
We have lots of deer here. Headlights illuminate them just fine. Slowing down helps also.

Quote:
I understand there is a way to bypass the switch on my dodge but it is illegal to use them with high beams as far as I understand. Perfectly legal with the low beams though.
Correct, but as I stated, here in Oregon drivers should turn them off within 350'/500' of other vehicles.

Quote:
You don't like using them, so be it. Perhaps it is illegal there, doesn't concern me. I, however, will continue to use them as they help out considerably, are perfectly legal, and don't bother oncoming traffic. I like to do anything to make me a safer driver and being able to see at night without blinding others is surly one way. Low beams on a ram have a lot to be desired IMO but add the legal, stock auxiliaries and it lights up good. Just not at the distance of the high beams.
I use fog lights when legal and appropriate. Definitely illegal here (from the DOT and state police). I am not surprised that that doesn't concern you. Why would it? As for oncoming traffic, have you sat in their car? Do you know how sensitive to lights they are? No, I didn't think so.

The best way to be safe is to slow down, and finally, it sounds like updating your low beams is the answer.

Have a nice day.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
There are few things more annoying than people who use their fog lights when there is no fog. The fog lights must burn out quickly, because I am seeing more and more on the road with just one on, so it is only half as annoying. My guess is the people who do this won't think it makes them look as cool after they pay for replacements, and will use them as they were designed.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I've owned several vehicles with fog lights and I can't tell much of a difference whether they're on or off. I think most of them are simply for looks.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenningtons View Post
From an Oregon Department of Transportation press release on November 23, 2009 (same rules still apply);

According to Oregon law, auxiliary and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. They must be dimmed or turned off within 500 feet of approaching an oncoming vehicle and 350 feet when following another vehicle.

It's all here, especially #18;

Transportation Safety Vehicle Equipment and Safety Standards

I have personally witnessed vehicles pulled over by the police just because they had their fogs on.
I just wanted to say thanks for the link.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've owned several vehicles with fog lights and I can't tell much of a difference whether they're on or off. I think most of them are simply for looks.
While it does seem most are just for looks, it does seem to make a difference for me on the occasions that I use them.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
I have fog lights, and on the few times I have driven in the fog, I used them they did the job they were installed to do. I would NEVER use them when it is not foggy. They are a nuisance to other drivers in clear weather. It is good to know they are there when the need arises, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive