Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Should a citizen be wasting their time over a scratch? Come on think about it. I'm talking a hypothetical rather than this actual accident.
Part of the problem is that nobody--including the OP--knows the actual extent of the damage.
Yes, it could just amount to a scratch on the bumper cover, but it is also possible that the impact-absorbing materials underneath the bumper cover will need to be replaced.

It is also possible that the guy who was hit/tapped could use this as an opportunity to have a body shop take care of a few old dings on the body by not listing them on their estimate, but including the cost of those dings on their estimate to repair/repaint his bumper. There are body shops that will, "play ball", in that way.

By not taking the time to stop, get out of her car, and take a few photos of the damage, the OP has left herself wide open for a bigger bill if the person who she hit is trying to make a few bucks from her.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Part of the problem is that nobody--including the OP--knows the actual extent of the damage.
Yes, it could just amount to a scratch on the bumper cover, but it is also possible that the impact-absorbing materials underneath the bumper cover will need to be replaced.

It is also possible that the guy who was hit/tapped could use this as an opportunity to have a body shop take care of a few old dings on the body by not listing them on their estimate, but including the cost of those dings on their estimate to repair/repaint his bumper. There are body shops that will, "play ball", in that way.

By not taking the time to stop, get out of her car, and take a few photos of the damage, the OP has left herself wide open for a bigger bill if the person who she hit is trying to make a few bucks from her.

That I knew. The OP really screwed up by driving off. No question about that.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Is there really a question here? You hit another object with your vehicle. Therefore, any damage to that object is your responsibility. So yes, even if it's just a tiny scratch, you're responsible to pay for the damages.

The decent thing to have done would have been to get out of the car, apologize, and offer to pay right off the bat. His anger probably stemmed from your lack of response to the situation, as if at some speed it's perfectly OK to hit someone else's vehicle and not even acknowledge it.

Mike

A-smurfing-men

Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
It sucks that this happened and perhaps a little embarrassing. Oftentimes, embarrassment and fear cause people to react the wrong way even in the smallest of fender benders. We all have premiums that could go up and worry about being ripped off or taking advantage of in these situations, so I totally get it.

I think you did some things right and some things wrong..

With this tiny hit, the first thing you should have done was to acknowledge it happened and ask if they were OK. Maybe you did that maybe you didn't, but you should have.

If they were physically OK and didn't need you to call for help, you should have agreed to pull away from the drive thru after getting your goodies and exchange information. You should have shared with each other name, address, insurance, license plate and phone number as well as the date, time, and exact location of the accident. If he other person refused to share information, but requires your information, you call the police to take the report for you. It is for both of your protection you SHARE this information, you understand.

We don't know if he owned the car or if some other person will come out to sue you. It is rare, but important you know who you are dealing with.

Even if they claim they aren't worried about reporting the accident right away, still get the information and discuss whether you could / should talk "cash" based on your feelings on the issue. Some people are nervous about hits on their insurance and cash is not illegal, yet others prefer insurance arrangements for the legal cleanliness.

Then, allow the other person to take a picture of your car and theirs, and you do the same.

Wish each other a good day, and leave knowing you did the right thing.

You can see what parts were missing, but more important you see that nowhere were you to make assumptions on another person's damage or how they should feel about the damage. It is never OK to do that really.

If I were you, I would also go get your own car checked just in case the hit damaged something behind your front grill.

You could call police and report the accident after the fact and tell them the story so they have it and maybe not be charged with leaving the scene. There could be a possible risk of being ticketed for something, but it seems better than a ticket for leaving the scene I think.

Anyone know?

You can find accident checklists through your insurance company and in some police precincts. Get one you like, and reach for that next time you have an accident, no matter or how small and no matter who is at fault.

Safe travels!

Last edited by Robinstyler; 07-27-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 03:26 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post

You could call police and report the accident after the fact and tell them the story so they have it and you can't be charged with leaving the scene.
Calling the police several days after an accident and reporting the accident via the phone prevents them from charging you with leaving the scene of an accident that took place previous to the call?

Until you provided us with this information, I did not know that a mere phone call--after the fact--protects the caller from the legal penalties for leaving the scene of an accident!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I would have snapped a pic of the rear of his car. So later on if he backed into something, he couldn't blame me for it. Guess it's too late for that now. Though if this just happened you coud take a pic of your own vehicle. I agree, he was probably mad because you didn't get out and contact him first, as it was your mistake. She didn't really leave the scene of the accident, she had contact with the driver and he got her info. She make a mistake by not getting his information. The cops may just advise you to contact your insurance company. You could go back to the place you got the coffee and find out who was on that day and if they saw anything. It at least may give you a witness that saw you talking with the driver and you both leaving.

And for all the lecturers here, haven't you ever made a mistake or been inattentive in your lifetime? It can happen to the best of drivers. I'm sure she realizes her mistake.

Last edited by todd00; 07-27-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Calling the police several days after an accident and reporting the accident via the phone prevents them from charging you with leaving the scene of an accident that took place previous to the call?

Until you provided us with this information, I did not know that a mere phone call--after the fact--protects the caller from the legal penalties for leaving the scene of an accident!

You are right. I should have worded this in a way that showed I didn't know for sure. I'll go back and change it. It just seems it would be better that waiting to get caught after the person reports it and the police show up at the door.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

And for all the lecturers here, haven't you ever made a mistake or been inattentive in your lifetime? It can happen to the best of drivers. I'm sure she realizes her mistake.
Not when Im guiding a muti ton weapon. A 3000 lb car can kill at 1mph if it ends on top of someone. An auto is only "safe" when the operator has it in park/with parking brake on. If youre not paying 100% attention when behind the wheel youre lacking responsibility and shouldnt be behind the wheel then. And yes, that includes looking for $$$ in a drive thru. If youre not physically and mentally equipped to keep your car under control and not risk running into another object OR pedestrian while doing so, you should park and go inside or park and get your s hit together.

I also dont try to mutitask when operating a chainsaw or firearm either. Operating an auto while not being 100% focused atbthe task at hand is just as foolish. People fool themselves thinking its "safe" to be distartcted behind the wheel because its a task they do EVERYDAY. They forget that also everyday a mistake by the matter of inches while driving can hurt/kill themselves and "innocent bystanders" while piloting said multiton weapon.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

I am sure yes but not dumb enough to blame other party and play innocent.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Let me clarify something based on my own experience. When you damage another persons property including injuries you are required by law 'to make them whole again''. If you scratch their paint you are 100% responsible to have it repaired . You are not required to pay one penny more that what it takes to do so. This applies to all accidents. If you tap another persons bumper AND DO NO DAMAGE the other driver can get mad, cuss, spit on the ground,call the FBI or whatever and cry but the bottom line is you dont owe him a thing . You can say "sorry bout that" but thats all.People that operate cars on the public roads should know that some risk are unavoidable and if they cant accept this they should not be on the public roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive