Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Have bought and rebuilt many, so... as mentioned, it is better to KNOW your product.

consider the VALUE on resale to be 50% of 'average - good' condition. And they can be harder to sell.

And they can come with a host of issues (especially on Front wheel drive cars that took a frt/side hit or roll-over. Tranny / axle / bearing strain)

Some are VERY ez to fix and can set you up with CHEAP late model wheels. (YMMV)

Only viable if you plan to drive it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 AM

57 posts, read 180,160 times
Very helpful input! so the guy is telling that the 2013 Audi was hit from the front, he sent me pictures and the car engine runs, he will have to replace the support, radiator, headlights, grill and fendera,fan shroud and hood. Hes bringing those parts from another Audi car that he had purchased from the auction as well. He sent me all pics too before the accident.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa81 View Post
Very helpful input! so the guy is telling that the 2013 Audi was hit from the front, he sent me pictures and the car engine runs, he will have to replace the support, radiator, headlights, grill and fendera,fan shroud and hood. Hes bringing those parts from another Audi car that he had purchased from the auction as well. He sent me all pics too before the accident.
That sounds promising, but it's also a little puzzling.

Typically, a vehicle has to sustain damage in excess of 70% of the blue book value, to receive a salvage title. On a '13 Audi that would be a lot of damage - I'm thinking more than what you're listing. Private Party KBB on a '13 Audi is in the $25k-$30k range - and the damaged parts you list might run upwards of $10,000 to repair.

Am I missing something? Does this vary widely between states?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
No warranty with the title brand, that's the first concern.

Short answer as I'm really short of time: Outside of the warranty, without looking at the car specifically, there is no guarantee that it has, or has not been rebuilt well. There are too many factors, and you can't speak of "salvaged cars" as an abstract, regardless of the model.

IMO, if you are looking to spend a lot of money on a low mileage 2013 Audi, the risks are not offset by the potential pitfalls and loss of resale value, and unless you are a DIY type, you should buy a new 2013 with a warranty.

The issue is, it takes a lot of damage to salvage out a brand new expensive car, whereas in 6 years, it would only take a fraction of that damage to get a salvage title. As a new car, the damage that can salvage an older model would be repaired and sent back to the owner if the car was brand new. Older cars can be salvaged out for parking lot type damage. Repair quality varies greatly. I have seen some serious hack jobs that look beautiful on the surface, but are a disaster underneath. They usually get pushed to people who want to look good going down the street, and don't care that the front end is all zip tied underneath, or that the headlight tabs are busted, homelink and cruise control don't work, car can't be aligned properly, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
I would check that frame out reaaaallll good. Im not sure how Audis are constructed now. But I know the R8 was designed using the physics of a ping pong ball.

I could be wrong but if there was front end damage, MAKE SURE you open all the doors and they close smoothly and they are aligned properly. I mean down to the millimeter. If the roof was repaired, run away because that means the whole frame crushed inward.... As part of the crunch box safety that I know my VAG car has.

Frame damage on VAG car is almost impossible to fix and something will always be out of whack no matter what unless your a car surgeon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive