Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Since this is a relationship forum, I wonder if men drive sports cars get more attention. I think they get more attention from car lovers. I love looking at beautiful cars, not the drivers, I can care less who is driving it, but when I see a nice car, I definitely look.
It depends.

I have an S2000, which isn't in the same "exotic" league as a Ferrari or higher-end Porsche, though I've eaten both alive in the hills and on the track before They're not super-common cars, and so a lot of women have no idea what they are. It certainly has gotten attention, both positive and negative.

On the one hand, people make assumptions about income, social status, and also zest for life and individuality. On the other, people make assumptions about maturity, responsibility, and compensation... that's always a big one (no pun).

Also, when I got it, I was living in the Bay Area and in my early 20's: it pretty much flew in the fact of what a lot of the people my age around me were doing, which was getting really into reducing carbon footprints via bicycles and proudly reminding everyone around them that they preferred public transit. In fact, the girl I was seeing when I bought it warned me very sternly about buying it... going on about how the sensible option would have been a Camry or Accord, blah blah blah. She wasn't happy when I told her I'd pick her up for dinner in it, on the way back from the dealership. But then, as soon as she got in it and we started driving through Berkeley with the top down on a midsummer's night, she was sold

That's pretty much how it's been, for the most part: ultimately, they like riding in it, even if they had their doubts at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:26 AM

662 posts, read 1,227,622 times
First of all, most women I have seen really don't give a rip one way or the other about sports cars. They generally don't buy them but they nearly always don't really care if others do. (Much of the time they don't even notice sports cars. Quite a few can't even tell a Corvette from a Malibu, let alone a regular Audi A6 from an RS6.) But if one does have a negative opinion, it is generally because their husband wants one. The woman would rather have him spend less money on a mundane car so she has more money left over to buy whatever it is she wants. That's why some women also hate customized trucks, boats, ATVs, motorcycles, dirtbikes, hunting, fishing, etc. The counterpart to that would be men not liking their wives to go clothes shopping, go get their hair/nails done, buy a bunch of decorative stuff for the house, buy jewelry, etc. It's the same reason- less money for themselves. Women who like to spend money on things for themselves call men "immature" because they like to "play with large versions of kid toys." Men who like to spend money on themselves call women "vain" and that the women "can't resist shiny things." It goes both ways.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
some aston tried to race me out of a toll plaza once when i had the z4. silly guy. he must not have known how to shift well cuz got smoked although the 3.0L in the z4 was a beast. faster than my motorcycle, actually
I've always had a good time when the light turns green and I walk an expensive luxury/sports car and hang even with (or occasionally dust) a bike in my S2000. No one thinks it's possible, until they're getting pulled on. That 9k redline is a killer.

After I'm done with China and back in the States, I'd like to try to find a nice Z4M roadster. Love, love, love those things. Always thought the first-generation Z4's had great-looking interiors, and love their roadholding. Nice balance of taut, sportscar handling, and smooth, GT riding. The S2k handles great, but the ride is harsh.

Quote:
agreed 100%. you should buy the car for yourself, to enjoy driving. if a guy buys a car thinking it's going to attract women he's kidding himself
In my experience, the only women who are specifically attracted to a guy because of his car, i.e. giving him the time of day where they wouldn't have otherwise, are the sort of women who are best stayed away from

Unless you met her at an enthusiast meet and the car was just a conversation starter, of course

Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
My wife loves sports cars. And trucks. And sport sedans. And some SUVs. Just no minivans. She knows quite a bit about cars in general, though, and can work on them as well as drive them expertly. it's one of the reasons we're together: a shared love of the hobby.

Most of the women I've known over the years have loved sports cars, musclecars, and customs. But then again, I tend to gravitate towards women who know about and understand cars in general, instead of ones who are ignorant of cars and judgemental about them and their owners. As soon as I hear a woman say that a sports car (or truck, or luxury car, or whatever vehicle) is about compensating for other shortcomings, I realize she's a brain dead moron that probably knows little about life in general and has a chip on her shoulder about men. Same with saying sports cars are only for gay men. Or saying sports cars are mid life crisis cars, or thinking that a nice car means that somewhere a woman didn't get a home remodel (I can't believe I read that comment in this thread. How stupid).

I buy/build what I like, from sports cars to luxury cars to custom cars/hot rods and trucks. They only have to impress me and make ME happy. If they impress others, that's just a bonus (like dressing nicely, etc). I'm lucky in that my wife and I tend to like a lot of the same cars, so that if I do build one to impress me, she tends to like it as well, and vice versa. One of these days, I'll be able to afford to get her the Jag XKE she really wants ('67 4.2 triple carb Series 1 w/covered headlights).

Also, we can have sports cars, because, like over 60% of families in the country, we can have more than one car, so we don't have to worry about practicality, as we can have a practical car/truck, too.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
I doubt it's because women are against having a sports car, as much as retaliating at caving in to their husband's suggestion that their 2 or 3 person family has a sudden, pressing "need" for some lumbering 7 passenger dreadnought.

Of course, the big POS will need to be assigned to the wife, because the husband's work parking lot was somehow designed so that the only cars that can fit in it are practical little commuter cars, such as 3 series BMWs, Audi S5s, Mercedes SLs, Corvettes, 370Zs, etc. Simply no room for a Honda Odyssey in the work parking garage!

Oh by the way, motorcycles also fit in the parking garage so better get one of those to ride on nice days so they can "save on gas".

Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
I don't think the majority of women hate sports cars. I think that the majority of women in growing families realize that sports cars are impractical for family life. When our kids were small we both needed to have cars that would accommodate three kids. It would not have been practical for me to be driving in circles so that I could drive all over creation picking up kids because his car wouldn't fit a car seat, or the sports equipment, or whatever.

Now that the kids are a bit older and only one of them is needing us to transport him it is more practical for my husband to drive a sportier car. There is still a need to pay for college so the idea of driving an expensive car isn't practical right now (husband is driving a Challenger RT). When the kids are done with college it will be ok to get a sports car.

I don't understand why that would be considered controversial.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
There are certain things that throw a red flag to a women, or a man, I guess . . .

Body Building-vanity obsess
Living with your parents at 30
Drinking a lot
Obsession with fast car past 17

Obviously there are exceptions, but there are also enough real life examples to give credibility to cliches

Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Really?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Lol with that one

Yeah, women are repulsed with men driving around in Porsche's and BMW's. They're all attracted to the sensible guy putting along in a Camry.

Look at all the motorsports professionals on the top of their game. None of them can get a date.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:32 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've always had a good time when the light turns green and I walk an expensive luxury/sports car and hang even with (or occasionally dust) a bike in my S2000. No one thinks it's possible, until they're getting pulled on. That 9k redline is a killer
i'd know better than to challenge an s2k with my modest suzuki cruiser you'd get a wave and a polite decline to race. i never do anything even a little reckless like that on the bike anyway, it just is too dangerous IMO. i definitely pushed the z4 more

on a side note, some people claim z4m ride is actually smoother than z4, since they don't put the summer run flats on the m series. i haven't driven an m but can confirm those summer run flats are too harsh. it was the only thing i didn't like about the car

regarding OP i can also confirm women don't really care about your sports cars they always liked my van better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive