Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify, you can't drive a FWD like you'd drive a RWD, but there's no truth to it being impossible to catch when it goes sour.

Like I said, I've caught 3 myself (on dry/wet asphalt) and I'm no race car driver, and with 4-6 months of ice and snow each year, you pretty much have some sliding (understeer, oversteer and everywhere steer, hehe) every day.

Having driven almost exclusively FWD for 6 years, they're easier for my to manage in a sticky situation than a RWD would be. It's all about adapting to the vehicle and knowing some fundamental basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Just to clarify, you can't drive a FWD like you'd drive a RWD, but there's no truth to it being impossible to catch when it goes sour.

Like I said, I've caught 3 myself (on dry/wet asphalt) and I'm no race car driver, and with 4-6 months of ice and snow each year, you pretty much have some sliding (understeer, oversteer and everywhere steer, hehe) every day.

Having driven almost exclusively FWD for 6 years, they're easier for my to manage in a sticky situation than a RWD would be. It's all about adapting to the vehicle and knowing some fundamental basics.
There are possibilities for any situation but the fact remains that RWD is light years easier to regain control than any FWD. RWD tends to be on far more robust and durable platforms, essential for heavy duty police use.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
There are possibilities for any situation but the fact remains that RWD is light years easier to regain control than any FWD. RWD tends to be on far more robust and durable platforms, essential for heavy duty police use.
I don't think I agree with either of those statements.

I'd say that for any average Joe, a FWD will be easier to control when it lets go (considering it's usually just some understeer), as for cop cars, well the massive amount of police forces using primarily FWD cars with no problems at all kind of prove that's not true.

The crown vics certainly have a reputation for being easy to work on and very durable, but there's plenty proof of FWD cars without a body on frame configuration doing great in police duty.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
I don't think I agree with either of those statements.

I'd say that for any average Joe, a FWD will be easier to control when it lets go (considering it's usually just some understeer), as for cop cars, well the massive amount of police forces using primarily FWD cars with no problems at all kind of prove that's not true.

The crown vics certainly have a reputation for being easy to work on and very durable, but there's plenty proof of FWD cars without a body on frame configuration doing great in police duty.
Three of them have been totaled this year. Two were on ice/snow and the other was smashed to pieces by a deer. The guys are a little upset!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
The fact that your argument is based on road racing and prejudice kind of moots your point there bud.

Road racing is as close to all out pursuit an officer will be in. That experience is where my "prejudice" as you call it comes from. Yes, real life push it to the limit + more experience. Exactly the kind of thing that could happen to any officer in an instant, any time he is on duty. Here is where knowing how to drive each style of car set up will catch the bad guy or kill the officer/ other people. When fwd first came out, i was actuly a fan of it. But at about 140mph at WILLOW, i REALIZED WHY THE FWD WASN'T AS GOOD AS RWD, DESPITE ACTULY BETTTER SKID PAD NUMBERS.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Road racing is as close to all out pursuit an officer will be in. That experience is where my "prejudice" as you call it comes from. Yes, real life push it to the limit + more experience. Exactly the kind of thing that could happen to any officer in an instant, any time he is on duty. Here is where knowing how to drive each style of car set up will catch the bad guy or kill the officer/ other people. When fwd first came out, i was actuly a fan of it. But at about 140mph at WILLOW, i REALIZED WHY THE FWD WASN'T AS GOOD AS RWD, DESPITE ACTULY BETTTER SKID PAD NUMBERS.
To me it seems like a waste of time and money to have to have all the more performance pursuit cars. Departments always have had Mustangs and Camaros and some are getting Chargers now for that purpose. Every department needs them but they will need them even more now and they will be beat on even harder. Why would you have to have a small fleet of special cars when the old standby was most of the time plenty capable of performing when called upon. Not to mention there was way more of them out there and didn't need to be radioed for. You had what you needed at the right time and the right place. It sounds pretty F'n' stupid to me and I wish I could hide the toilet paper on the "genius" at Ford that came up with the idea. Just wait until he goes to take a crap and wipe and discovers there is no toilet paper after he is finished! I'd do it too!LMAO.......

Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
To me it seems like a waste of time and money to have to have all the more performance pursuit cars. Departments always have had Mustangs and Camaros and some are getting Chargers now for that purpose. Every department needs them but they will need them even more now and they will be beat on even harder. Why would you have to have a small fleet of special cars when the old standby was most of the time plenty capable of performing when called upon. Not to mention there was way more of them out there and didn't need to be radioed for. You had what you needed at the right time and the right place. It sounds pretty F'n' stupid to me and I wish I could hide the toilet paper on the "genius" at Ford that came up with the idea. Just wait until he goes to take a crap and wipe and discovers there is no toilet paper after he is finished! I'd do it too!LMAO.......
that would be awsome if ford kept the crown vic platform and dropped in the new 5.0 DOHC mustang GT engine into it

Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post

I was thinking tie a rope around the idiot and tie the other end to the hitch on the Crown Vic, which the fwd's will not be able to have, thus making the use of yet another type vehicle. So much for a common fleet. Oh, and foot on the floor in the Crown Vic.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 AM

Oh.. so now you can't tow anything in a FWD either?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Oh.. so now you can't tow anything in a FWD either?
Not as well as RWD... Most certainly not as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln