Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times

Advertisements

A good mechanic will be able to tell how much hoonage a rental car was subjected to. Just make sure it's inspected independently by a mechanic you trust before you buy it.

Like I said earlier, we buy a lot of used cars from Enterprise's fleet and have never had a problem. We've bought minivans, sedans and a pick-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,808 times
Exclamation Red flag!

Don't buy a rental car from Enterprise or any other one for that matter, unless it's an import! I work in the rental car industry and let me tell you, the majority of those cars have numerous problems after the rental companies use them. Over the course of one year, the average oil changes on a rental car from various companies total around two or three times, although we use them until about 30,000 mi.

That is VERY dangerous to a car, no matter how you look at it.
I'd feel confident buying a Hyundai, Toyota, Mazda though.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:29 PM

566 posts, read 603,785 times
In 2001 I bought a 2000 Toyota Corolla with 24,000 miles from Enterprise Car Sales. I had NO problems with it whatsoever in the 5 years that I owned it until...I ignored the check engine and oil lights and blew my engine. It was my fault, completely!!! So I had to practically junk a Toyota with only 100,000 miles on it. I'm such a dumbass!!

Last edited by ILOVEOHIO; 11-16-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: spelled such wrong...:o(

Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Don't buy a rental car from Enterprise or any other one for that matter, unless it's an import! I work in the rental car industry and let me tell you, the majority of those cars have numerous problems after the rental companies use them. Over the course of one year, the average oil changes on a rental car from various companies total around two or three times, although we use them until about 30,000 mi.

That is VERY dangerous to a car, no matter how you look at it.
I'd feel confident buying a Hyundai, Toyota, Mazda though.
Your post doesn't make much sense. You claim that rental companies abuse cars with infrequent oil changes. Then you come back and say that you'd buy an import from a rental company. Are you saying that it's ok to have limited oil changes on a Hyundai, Toyota or Mazda but not other cars???

Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Your post doesn't make much sense. You claim that rental companies abuse cars with infrequent oil changes. Then you come back and say that you'd buy an import from a rental company. Are you saying that it's ok to have limited oil changes on a Hyundai, Toyota or Mazda but not other cars???
If I had to buy a car from a rental company, I would lead more toward the imports, so yes, I didn't make much sense.. Oops

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets see, having worked for 2 car dealers and had to deal with Enterprise and Budget cars now and then...

...blown transmissions with under 5K miles from abuse, parts missing off the cars (that the renter probably sold), blown engines, damaged undercarriages (which we could only deduce came from people re-creating the Dukes of Hazard), etc, etc. People treat rental cars like red-headed stepchildren. Trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What? Who are these crazy people doing donuts in rental cars? I've never mistreated a rental, and I don't know anyone who has. But I keep hearing these wild stories about insane people driving these cars. How crazy is someone going to get in a Hyundai Santa Fe? I'm trying to picture it, but I can't.

The one I'm looking at has is a 2007 and has 18,000 miles on it. I'd have a mechanic check it out thoroughly.

greenie

I wont hide the fact that I completely beat the crap out of rentals. Am I a bad person for doing it, probably but at least I can admit it I've had 3 rentals for a total of 15 rental days over the last 2 years. The toyota aveo, I was sort of pissed they gave me such a crappy slow boring little econobox of a car, so I did brake stands around every corner and from ever stop-go, and floored it everytime I was getting on the highway to redline and beyond. The liberty was fun to take off road and see how the suspension held up, and was also floored everwhere. The scion TC was fun b/c of its sportlike suspension and shape, and its a quick little car for a NA 4 banger, so that was my personal "pretend like I'm a racecar driver" car. I am a horrible person to rent a car to, but hey thats why I pay for the insurance haha. My point here is, that you're just taking a higher risk. Its not ALWAYS the case that the rental will be beat on, however, there is a much better chance than a normal used car that was owned and sold back to a dealer. I would say Carmax woul be better than buying from Enterprise for a low no haggle price.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:04 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
I wont hide the fact that I completely beat the crap out of rentals. Am I a bad person for doing it, probably but at least I can admit it I've had 3 rentals for a total of 15 rental days over the last 2 years. The toyota aveo, I was sort of pissed they gave me such a crappy slow boring little econobox of a car, so I did brake stands around every corner and from ever stop-go, and floored it everytime I was getting on the highway to redline and beyond. The liberty was fun to take off road and see how the suspension held up, and was also floored everwhere. The scion TC was fun b/c of its sportlike suspension and shape, and its a quick little car for a NA 4 banger, so that was my personal "pretend like I'm a racecar driver" car. I am a horrible person to rent a car to, but hey thats why I pay for the insurance haha. My point here is, that you're just taking a higher risk. Its not ALWAYS the case that the rental will be beat on, however, there is a much better chance than a normal used car that was owned and sold back to a dealer. I would say Carmax woul be better than buying from Enterprise for a low no haggle price.
I noticed that you said the " Toyota Aveo ". Toyota does not make the Aveo, Chevrolet does.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I noticed that you said the " Toyota Aveo ". Toyota does not make the Aveo, Chevrolet does.
Actually Daewoo does. Chevy just swallows what little pride it has and slaps its badge on it.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
Since you're on the West Coast, I would be wary of buying any rental cars that served the San Francisco market. The cars there are notorious for developing transmission problems. I bought a Enterprise rental Ford back in 1990 from a Palo Alto dealership. Sure enough. By the time it hit 85K, I had to have to the transmission rebuilt. At that time, it cost me about $1300. Not sure what the cost would be now?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
The scion TC was fun b/c of its sportlike suspension and shape, and its a quick little car for a NA 4 banger.
Who rents out Scion Tc's? Never seen those as rentals before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive