Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Mom's boyfriend is in the market for new tires for his Chevy Colorado. She left a message with my wife that he'd like my input on what brand and dealer to use. Left a message for her to email me his year, make, model, and tire size. I'm not a truck guy. I've heard good things about Goodyear, Bridgestone, Firestone, and BFG for truck tires. I don't really know the guy except that he likes to go fishing. I don't know if he has a boat. He does have a small camper. I know the Colorado had the 4 cylinder and 5 cylinder, did it have another engine available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I have Rocky Mountain AT ( Falken ) on my work truck and Hankook ATS on my personal truck and on my wife's SUV.
The work truck gets driven a lot. Those tires are great. Wet or dry. Also they last a long time I expect 50-60 k easy out of them. Currently 30 k and not even 1/2 worn.
I need load range E cause my trucks are 3/4 and 1ton but he doesn't for that light truck so tires won't be too much.

The hankooksare are great. My wife recently took a 1200 mile round trip and tires were great. Both sets are quiet and have great traction, no wondering or weird handling.

As far as I know Colorados only came with 4and 5 cyl engines.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have Rocky Mountain AT ( Falken ) on my work truck and Hankook ATS on my personal truck and on my wife's SUV.
The work truck gets driven a lot. Those tires are great. Wet or dry. Also they last a long time I expect 50-60 k easy out of them. Currently 30 k and not even 1/2 worn.
I need load range E cause my trucks are 3/4 and 1ton but he doesn't for that light truck so tires won't be too much.

The hankooksare are great. My wife recently took a 1200 mile round trip and tires were great. Both sets are quiet and have great traction, no wondering or weird handling.

As far as I know Colorados only came with 4and 5 cyl engines.
Thanks. Mom's bf finally got me the info via her email. His is a 2005 with the inline 5. No off-roading nor towing. The way my mom initially worded the request, she made it sound like he wanted to know which tire was best. Now she tells me he wants the cheapest good or decent tire. His size is 265/75-15. Locally, cheapest found so far is $135 per tire. Tire Rack is $115. They're both on a fixed income so he's looking to replace 2 tires. Oh well, can't call around until Tuesday.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
The price he was quoted is pretty much in line. The problem with Tire Rack is he'll have to pay to have them mounted and balanced somewhere which will pretty much negate the $20 difference in price.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Later Colorado's and Hummer H3 models had the 5.3 liter Vortec V-8 if I am not mistaken so the Colorado could compete with the V-8 version of Dodge Dakota

Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Thanks. Mom's bf finally got me the info via her email. His is a 2005 with the inline 5. No off-roading nor towing. The way my mom initially worded the request, she made it sound like he wanted to know which tire was best. Now she tells me he wants the cheapest good or decent tire. His size is 265/75-15. Locally, cheapest found so far is $135 per tire. Tire Rack is $115. They're both on a fixed income so he's looking to replace 2 tires. Oh well, can't call around until Tuesday.
Their best bet is going to be to call around locally. Make sure you get their "out the door" price, because a lot of places will give you the price per tire, but then add about $30 per tire for everything from valve stems to tire disposal.

If they're not off-roading, towing anything, or hauling much, there's no reason for them to get into the LT line of tires - which are heavier & more expensive. Basic automobile-grade tires should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive