Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM

471 posts, read 977,555 times

Advertisements

Have had excellent luck with GM trucks. Bought a new Chevrolet Silverado in 1985, pulled trailer and used it often no problems. Bought a new Chevrolet Suburban in 1994, which I still have, that I ordered with all the heavy duty stuff for trailer pulling, again no problems. got a new-style Chevrolet Silverado in 2008, had it ordered with a 7' snow plow and all the heavy duty stuff, and again had no problems, got rid of it when I moved to the southwest.

Have to add I never abused any of the trucks and all were well cared for and garaged, maybe that helped... Dodge and Ford are good too, a lot will have to do on style, comfort, "look", and how many $$$ you want to spend.......have also thought seriously about getting a Toyota Tacoma Double cab 4x4, but a little too pricy for me now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
If we are talking about pickup trucks, the best that I have ever had in my 50 years of driving is the F150 4x4 V8 that I now have and the two Toyota 4x4s (a Tacoma and a pre-Tacoma) that were substantially smaller than the F150.

For American brands, I would say F150 is a safe bet. However, I've never owned a Dodge truck. I have had several GMCs and Chevys though.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM

251 posts, read 522,981 times
We've had several full size pick ups. The last few have been Chevy Silverado's. Current truck is a Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab LT, Duramax turbodiesel/Allison transmission. An absolutely superb truck. Extremely capable, very comfortable & reliable. I average 16.8 mpg around town & 24.9 mpg highway when empty. Towing light (empty 20' enclosed trailer) 14.8 mpg. Towing heavy (loaded trailer & truck bed) 12.8 mpg.

While the Cummins ISB is a very good engine (we've got a Cummins ISC 8.3 liter in our large motorhome) in the RAM (Dodge) it's mated with an average transmission mounted in an average at best chassis. The Duramax turbodiesel has proven over the years to be an excellent motor, and mated with the Allison transmission it's a great combination. Plus, the Chevy/GMC chassis / body is first class.

In the light duty sector, the 1500/F150, etc. arena: The top choices for most folks continues to be the GM 1500 & F150, followed by the Dodge. The 1500/F150 are both excellent vehicles, and I think it's merely personal preference/prejudice that drives folks to either one.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM

600 posts, read 660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
we are probably going to buy a truck later this year. I would have bought another ford f-150 but with so many friends having so many problems with them with the eco boost engines ;no way. Right now it looks like the new chevy or gmc.i rode in a friends and its sweet and the quietest truck i've ever ridden in. Tundra is just too gas thirsty and i personally don't like the ram looks or want a chrysler product from past experience.
]

please stop being misleading!

There are not 'many problems' with the ecoboost engine, and you know it...

Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
]

please stop being misleading!

There are not 'many problems' with the ecoboost engine, and you know it...
I've been told by owners that doesn't have a lot of poop in its pants so I don't know that I'd recommend it to someone wanting to pull a trailer, but I haven't heard of any quality/reliability issues.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecorian View Post
Thanks a lot for all the Posts!
...Still clueless but I try to resume all your informations and some stuff I read this night:
...Well - glad to say, we still have some time to think about it...
We are also still clueless...

What / how many Kg are you planning to tow? That may quickly limit your choices.
How long do you keep a vehicle?
How often will you use?
What is average length of trip / type of load?

Do you prefer luxury / comfort / new? (most euro folks do)
Do you prefer tough / hose out the interior / Work truck? (Aussies (and USA farmers) like these)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive