Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
If the car doesn't have a clutch pedal, then I won't buy it
Well, then, you're not buying anything, because everything on the market you're shunning for one reason or another. You're going to have to get over one of your requirements: either get over the styling of the Mustang/Camaro, get over the lack of a third pedal to wiggle every few minutes, or get over the convertible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Damn even the Maserati doesn't have a stick.

It could be time to consider whether you REALLY have a strong need to move your foot to make shifts. An automated manual is not the same as a slushbox. Some are better than others though apparently. Might be worth trying out, although perhaps you already have tried some.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well, then, you're not buying anything, because everything on the market you're shunning for one reason or another. You're going to have to get over one of your requirements: either get over the styling of the Mustang/Camaro, get over the lack of a third pedal to wiggle every few minutes, or get over the convertible.
Or just buy another M3 convertible. You seem to have missed that option in my original post.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Damn even the Maserati doesn't have a stick.
I know. And it's a car that is so beautiful I might just sell my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It could be time to consider whether you REALLY have a strong need to move your foot to make shifts.
Yep. I do. Rowing your own is the only way to go

Old 09-20-2013, 02:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Or just buy another M3 convertible. You seem to have missed that option in my original post.
What would doing that gain for you?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:29 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What would doing that gain for you?
Going from an older E46 M3 with an I6 to a newer E93 M3 with a V8 and a completely different driving experience....

Old 09-20-2013, 04:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Not V8, but if you want a good quality car, you can get Camry Solara with V6 and manual.
Not sure if you're serious....

Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
I currently own an e46 M3 convertible with a 3.2L I6
Actually IMHO most of the cars you are looking at would be a step DOWN from this car, in terms of overall performance and driving enjoyment.

Maybe you just want to put an aftermaket cat-back exhaust on the M and call it a day?

If you just HAVE to have 8 or more pots, probably a Mustang is the best choice, looks less like a cartoon of itself than the Camaro. It's been a while since I have driven a convertible 'stang, but last time I did it seemed to have a lot less body rigidity than BMW cars. They may have fixed that, dunno. Won't hurt you to go test drive one and see what you think.

Or, as others have pointed out, get a newer M3 with the V-8. As PDD pointed out, way more money than the 'stang, but drive this too and decide if the extra dosh is something you personally can justify or not. You will just have to answer that question for yourself, by driving them both, no way it can be addressed here in a forum.

There are various convertible 911 Porkers out there, you could find one of them with a Boxer 6 and 6-speed, they are technically 2 + 2 cars, although your boys will probably outgrow the rear seats pretty quick.

IMHO no need to buy any of these new. You can find a good clean one for sale from the original owner. You strike me as the type who would not be put off by, say, brake pads that have only 40% thickness left, or some similar wear part triviality. Easy enough to change them out, or get a shop to do it. I'd definitely buy from an individual rather than a dealer if I could find anything like what I wanted that way.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually IMHO most of the cars you are looking at would be a step DOWN from this car, in terms of overall performance and driving enjoyment.
Yes. That thought has crossed my mind once or twice. The E46 M3 has been a joy to drive, but I've got 10 years and 127K miles on it and I'm just ready for something different. I've looked at newer E46s with fewer miles, but for now, my preference is still for an E93 if I was to go that route and buy another M3.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Going from an older E46 M3 with an I6 to a newer E93 M3 with a V8 and a completely different driving experience....
Maybe that's not all it's cracked up to be.

My Impressions - From 2006 E46 M3 Convertible to 2013 E93 M3 Convertible

In any event, since OP hadn't specified what difference he was looknig for besides adding cylinders, I was curious as to his reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive