Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 AM

85 posts, read 253,652 times

Advertisements

Is there a place online where I can buy new cars, and cut out the ridiculous dealer fees and cut out the middleman (salesmen with their large commissions)?

It'd be awesome if I could order my car online, had a price cut compared to the store, and just pick it up from a warehouse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Nope. All mfg's contract with dealers and in most states it is actually a criminal offense for the mfg's to sell to anyone but a dealer. You can, however, buy online from a dealer. Any decent dealer is going to have an internet sales division. The internet sales dept will give you a lower price (which is still negotiable) than if you just walked in to the dealer. The dealers make up for the lower internet price with volume.

German dealers won't really negotiate at all; the only real exception is VW.
Toyota, Honda, & Nissan are a little more flexible, but won't do much negotiating if they are the only game in town.
American car dealers seem to be the most competitive and will negotiate a fair bit.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigit View Post
It'd be awesome if I could order my car online, had a price cut compared to the store, and just pick it up from a warehouse...
This is, approximately, the sales model Elon Musk is using to sell Teslas where there are no laws preventing him from doing so. Dealers, of course, are seeing red, and have pushed state legislatures to outlaw Internet sales.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Laws prevent direct sales of motor vehicles... regulation, restrictions, certifications, etc. restrict open commerce in many industries all across the country. Most have weak justifications but have evolved to cater to politicians and their supporters so don't expect a rational objective discussion. We simply have too much government and too many laws.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
You essentially need dealer licensing to cut out all the BS. In my case, my dad's business goes through enough vehicles that he was able to acquire dealer licensing through a few manufacturers. It is a family perk The price difference is noteworthy as compared to what walk-in's would pay. You simply order the vehicle how you want it, and it ships to one of the local (actual) car dealerships. Off the top of my head I don't know what the cut to the dealership is for managing the shipment, not much though.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Sure, plenty of those.
You ever heard saying "buying pig in a poke"?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
Carmax only has fixed commissions no matter what the price of the car, so it's less pressure. Also no haggling. I think there are still fees though

Edit: nvm didn't see you only put new. Does carmax have new? Not sure but they definitely have some close to new with very low miles

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
The middlemen in this case had the foresight to go to most state legislatures and *ahem* impress upon them the importance of enshrining their important purposes into law.

Legally in many states, you are REQUIRED to go through said middleman.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigit View Post
Is there a place online where I can buy new cars, and cut out the ridiculous dealer fees and cut out the middleman (salesmen with their large commissions)?

No. The closest you can get is talking to a fleet manager, or internet sales manager, who often push cars out right around invoice. If you saw what the average commission for the salesman on a new car is, you wouldn't quite call it "Large."

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If you saw what the average commission for the salesman on a new car is, you wouldn't quite call it "Large."
Regardless, you are still paying for all of the (unnecessary) overhead of a dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive