Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times

Advertisements

Since I wasn't able to edit anymore....

this is probably the cheapest solution
Qstarz GPS Lap timer [BT-Q1000eX] - $249.00 : HI-OCTANE DIRECT, Best Brands, Best Prices, Best Service or another option by them
Amazon.com: Qstarz LT-Q6000 GPS Lap Timer (Water Resistance, 10Hz log rate, G Sensor): GPS & Navigation

Then another option that's more pricey
Traqmate - GPS Data Acquisition

and then an even more pricey one
http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defaul...ay+Dash+System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Is this my wife posting? LOL

EDIT: I just let my wife read this thread... She started laughing because she has the same problems you do, has bought me several of the same items you've bought for your husband, even got me the same Porsche book you got your husband LOL.
^ That's funny!! Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I'll look into these. How do they work? Do they have all tracks pre-programmed so it knows the racing line?

He has 2 go-pros and I think he would be disappointed if I got him another one. lol

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
^ That's funny!! Great minds think alike!

I'll look into these. How do they work? Do they have all tracks pre-programmed so it knows the racing line?

He has 2 go-pros and I think he would be disappointed if I got him another one. lol
It really depends on which one you get how it works. I'm pretty sure all of them have pre programmed courses and since he's racing at a track, it should already be there. I know that the one I saw in a car for autocross did the logging on the fly and plotted the course as you went. This is necessary for autocross because it's different at every event.
I was reading on one that you can draw a track using google maps and then import it in that way too.

Also if he gets really into the software he can do have his go pro recordings overlayed with the software from the data loggers to show all the G forces to go along with the video.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like he's got all the automotive bases covered, so i'd go for a weekend of wining and dining in some romantic place that may have an auto museum.
eg; North Carolina Auto Racing Hall Of Fame
Karting track close by .
Welcome to GoPro Motorplex

These are good ideas, too. I also found something like this:

BMW M Experience : Introduction

Its only an hour and some change away from us. Seems like a cool idea. The one closer by doesnt have any dates listed for 2014 yet. I was originally looking at the exotic car experience in Concord.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Well, why does it have to be a car present?

I LOVE cars and I love my college/football team and something along those lines is usually a instant hit no brainer present, but that's not all in the world I love.

Change it up.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, why does it have to be a car present?

I LOVE cars and I love my college/football team and something along those lines is usually a instant hit no brainer present, but that's not all in the world I love.

Change it up.

Did you read my OP saying hes obsessed? I truly think most of the important memories of his life have been replaced with car knowledge that he will never need again but could recite for the next 40 years. I am open to ideas, I just know my husband.

I mean.. a vacation would be great, but also out of my price range.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Track rubber. I run motorcycle trackdays and go through tires like candy. A new set of rubbers have been a staple under my tree for years and never disappoint.

Mike

Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
License plate frames. NICE ones. I got my Dad chrome with the Lithuanian flag on it and he was thrilled.
And the matching key tag/fob. Loved it.
BMW polo shirt. Loved it.
Ford hat to go with the van. Loved it.
Genuine Ford floor mats, heavy duty like the Weather Techs.
Ventshades for the van. Nice for when it's raining.
Chevy emblem insert for trailer hitch. Very cool.
Does he do boxers? Check ebay for Chevy or Nissan ones. Anything Nismo branded he'll like.
A subscription to Auto Week. DH has had his for 20+ years.

me-retired parts manager, selling salvage parts now
him-retired GM master Tech

On our first Valentines day he bought me a 650 CFM 4 barrel for my 1970 383 Barracuda. I bought him an HEI ignition kit for his 1970 318 Barracuda. It's been love ever since.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
License plate frames. NICE ones. I got my Dad chrome with the Lithuanian flag on it and he was thrilled.
And the matching key tag/fob. Loved it.
BMW polo shirt. Loved it.
Ford hat to go with the van. Loved it.
Genuine Ford floor mats, heavy duty like the Weather Techs.
Ventshades for the van. Nice for when it's raining.
Chevy emblem insert for trailer hitch. Very cool.
Does he do boxers? Check ebay for Chevy or Nissan ones. Anything Nismo branded he'll like.
A subscription to Auto Week. DH has had his for 20+ years.

me-retired parts manager, selling salvage parts now
him-retired GM master Tech

On our first Valentines day he bought me a 650 CFM 4 barrel for my 1970 383 Barracuda. I bought him an HEI ignition kit for his 1970 318 Barracuda. It's been love ever since.

As soon as I saw your boxer comment, I remember something he really wants. Can you guys help me track down this shirt, still being sold??

https://www.google.com/search?q=niss...l%3B1024%3B640

Last I looked, I couldnt find them still being made.

ETA: Its hideous, yes. He wants it.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:45 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
How about a trip to Australia to see the Australian V8 Supercar races.. It is spring down under when it is Xmas here.. And I bet he would love to see them.....

And it would be a nice vaca for both of you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive