Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
C8N C8N started this thread

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The brake caliper bolts on our Infiniti M35 require 135 lb/ft (I think). When I serviced them, I could not loosen them with my standard 1/2 in breaker bar. I bought a much longer one.

I really recommend you buy a 1/2 in torque wrench for automotive use. The longer handle alone will make 94 lb/ft much easier to do.
Thank you!
Just checked the caliper torque specs for my car and it seems that the bracket is at 101 ft/1lbs.
I guess it would be a better idea to go with the 1/2" drive now that I think about. I won't have this car forever and who knows what my next car would be and what torque specs it requires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As an aside, if any of you are looking for a decent torque wrench, Lowes is closing out their Kobalt 3/8 and 1/2 inch clicker models. I think the 3/8 is about $39, and I bought a 1/2 incher at $ 59. It is really nice, comes with a certificate of calibration and a hard plastic case. The 1/2 inch was originally $ 99.

Lowes does this all the time, they seem to move onto different models and they blow out their previous ones cheap. If you go into their store the sale tools have yellow tags on them and the Kobalt tools are actually very nice. So far I have bought a bunch of wrenches and other tools this way from them. They are also blowing out 3 socket organizers for deep well and regular sockets ( 1/4-3/8-1/2) for $4 that originally sold for $20.

Not sure if your local Lowes will still have any, but I thought I would pass it along to you guys.

Don
Good to hear they are still selling them at a discounted price, I bought the 3/8 model a month or so ago and it's a great torque wrench. I already have a 1/2 drive one, but the Kobalt one is better made so I'll probably go grab one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Thank you for the info!

I was kind of on the fence with the HF torque wrench. The wheels on my car needs to be torqued to 94ft/lbs and I already have a 3/8" drive socket set. the HF 3/8" wrench can only go up to 80ft/lbs and the 1/2" goes up to 150ft/lbs which meant that I would have to get new set of sockets.

The Kobalt 3/8" seems to go up to a 100ft/lbs.

This changes things a bit....

Is there anything on the car that would require more than 100 ft/lbs?
For doing wheels, you want a 150ft lb range. 100ft lbs is just too close for lug nuts. Plus, there are bolts that will be over 100 ft lbs on your car, engine/transmission mount bolts, crank bolts, etc. You'll just need to get a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, and then you can use all your current sockets.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:20 PM

313 posts, read 208,157 times
Roughly, how much hydraulic jack oil do I need to purchase for a full drain/fill on my Lincoln (Made in USA, aka "Hein-Werner") 93642 2-ton floor jack?
I've searched quite a bit and cannot find any suggestion as to how much these jacks take!

Old 10-09-2021, 09:27 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAmsterdam View Post
Roughly, how much hydraulic jack oil do I need to purchase for a full drain/fill on my Lincoln (Made in USA, aka "Hein-Werner") 93642 2-ton floor jack?
I've searched quite a bit and cannot find any suggestion as to how much these jacks take!
Between 1 and 2 cups should do it.

Just go to a motorcycle repair facility, and get a quart of "fork oil" about 10W viscosity.

(Nice thread necro, btw!)

Old 10-09-2021, 10:21 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
My dad bought me one of these in 1982 so het could get his back:
NORCO Professional Lifting Equipment
You can choose made in America, or made in foreign country, but at least to Norco's specs. I had to rebuild the cylinder a couple years back and it cost me $45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive