Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you believe you would be the only one paying invoice price?
Dealer: "Well, I had ten customers who paid MSRP for this model today so I suppose for you, I can accept an invoice deal. I wouldn't want to make too much money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you believe you would be the only one paying invoice price?
If a dealer is selling a car, he is making money. Remember, he dose not have to sell the car unless HE is happy with the deal. You may leave happy with a good deal, but he still made his money.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
You can buy most typical cars at or around invoice all day long... and the dealers are not going out of business.

That says something.

The dealers and automakers are full time professionals at making deals and making money. Making deals means working with customers to sell them a car at a price the customer is happy with and feels good about. Making money means not selling vehicles at a loss.

If getting "invoice" price is a warm and fuzzy point for customers, the dealer certainly is not selling the car at a loss. Chances are, the dealer if they sell at that point still is bringing in enough money to be content with how much they made.

Sure, some like to start at MSRP. Why would they negotiate themselves down off the bat?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Pieces of paper can be created with anything they wish to put on that piece of paper!

A dealer can pay $10,000 for a car, show you that is what their cost is, yet the manufacturer can give the dealer bonuses or kickbacks. Let's say $1000. So the dealer is actually paying $9000 for that car.

The word "invoice" means NOTHING to me.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
Your negotiating leverage is only as good as the price quoted by other dealers in your area. If you walk in asking for below invoice with nothing from another dealer to back it up, you don't have much leverage.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Do you really believe they are showing you the real invoice?
Even if the dealer shows you his actual invoice, that's not what they pay for the car. They get incentives from the manufacturers for hitting certain targets and for selling overstocked models. It's like the Manufacturer automatically gives the dealer say $1K for selling a car and if they sell a total of say 100 for the month, the dealership gets an additional $10K bonus.

Truecar.com is a pretty decent site that shows you actual pricing.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
My experience is that you can generally buy a car for the "Dealer's Invoice".

In my mind, that gives me a reasonable deal, and gives him a reasonable profit.

He should be fairly compensated for his work, and i shouldn't be raked over the coals. Buying in this manner makes it real easy. Show me your invoice and that is what I will pay. No haggling. No hassles. Simple deal.

Whatever he makes on the back end is his profit. A few hours of my time running around pretty quickly chews up any 'better' deal that I MIGHT be able to make by playing games.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I recall GM was offering $5500 off the sale price model I was looking at if I financed through GMAC. It was the end of the calender year and a number of these models were sitting on dealer lots nationwide. Some dealers were offering at "invoice". Interest rate was 1.5% for four years as well. 1% for five years.

Ironically these cars were selling for $3000-$8000 over invoice at the inception of the model year.

I suppose neither GM nor Ford nor Mopar offer large rebates on performance cars?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
If I buy a GM vehicle I pay what the cost to manufacture the vehicle is.... A perk for my Father inb Law being a looooong time GM employee...

And depending on what dealership I go to, the cost can be thousands less than MSRP or even what I know other people have paid....

Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Your negotiating leverage is only as good as the price quoted by other dealers in your area. If you walk in asking for below invoice with nothing from another dealer to back it up, you don't have much leverage.
The best deals come after you have said no and are ready to leave..Wait that minute that they ask as they get the manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive