Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often to you blow your horn, and what the longest duration?
I'm not even sure it works. 14 19.18%
Maybe a few times a year 36 49.32%
At least every month or so 11 15.07%
At least every week or so 8 10.96%
Just about every day 3 4.11%
About a half-second "bip" 13 17.81%
A second or two 11 15.07%
2-5 seconds 3 4.11%
A good long blare 8 10.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 PM

427 posts, read 947,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
I wont ever pull over to let them pass. I'll slow down and allow them to suffer even more for being jerks. You pulling over makes them feel like they made you do it by honking. Dont give them the satisfaction. If theyre in a hurry, most people arent they just like to think they are, then they should have left earlier.
Fully agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Learning to drive and driving in Texas, I hardly ever use my horn and until the last few years rarely heard anyone else using it, either - and if someone WAS using it for a reason other than to prevent an actual accident, everyone looked at them like they were raised in a barn. It's just not necessary for any other reason.

So I'd say that I've used my horn maybe 3 times in the last 10 years. Except for testing it to make sure it actually functions, but I don't do that on the roadway but in my own driveway!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:15 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
I wont ever pull over to let them pass. I'll slow down and allow them to suffer even more for being jerks. You pulling over makes them feel like they made you do it by honking. Dont give them the satisfaction. If theyre in a hurry, most people arent they just like to think they are, then they should have left earlier.
I can understand this if it was a two lane road or you are in the right lane but other than that, I do not worry about other drivers satisfaction. If I let them go, they become someone else problem. I can brake at anytime and we both end up wasting time on the side of the road exchanging information. I move over and let them go instead of having them tailgate me for several miles.

I do not care how other people feel, I have someplace to be as well as I like to get there with minimal confrontation. This is why I do not make eye contact with other drivers when they cut me off or whatever. I just use the horn to alert the driver and go on with my day. There is no point in arguing since they will play dumb. I rather avoiding interacting with them in the first place.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
I have to correct myself. Texans DO use the horn for a non-emergency, when calling the cattle to be fed! So, I've used it more often than just the three times in a decade I mentioned above - just out in the pasture.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:46 PM

207 posts, read 566,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How long and how often do you blow your horn. Give one answer in each part, frequency and duration.
The only time I really blow my horn is if I'm at a stop light and the person ahead of me is texting and not moving after the light turns green. I give them a few seconds but then I just give a SHORT BLAST!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,214 times
only when someone is about to crash into me particularly during lane change which happens may be a few times a year.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,853 times
I seem to get cut off constantly, so I've been using it with some frequency (probably averages out to about once a week). I've had people blow stop signs and force me to slam on my brakes and in one case I had to turn on to the side street to avoid hitting someone. I consider myself a defensive driver so I use it to mainly remind people not to do something stupid and if they do something stupid, I make sure they know about it.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
If you lived in NYC, you would have known that many people there suffer from 'handonhornitis'. Almost impossible to cure.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How long and how often do you blow your horn. Give one answer in each part, frequency and duration.

How often I blow my auto horn is a function of miles driven. Lately, about once every couple months and it is usually a short beep to get someone's attention usually the green light snoozers. The longer beeps, maybe a few seconds in length, for the lane drifters or obviously unattentive (texter / cell phone user).

Now, as an aside for life lessons - I was taught growing up it is always better to let someone else blow your horn and not toot it yourself as it is bad 'social form' except for in job interviews (figuratively of course). Although White House internships 'under' the Clinton Administration likely were literal.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:44 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I don't even know if my horn works, I don't ever use it.
Same here. I've lightly tapped the horn a time or two in 20-yrs, if someone was backing up & looked as if they'd bump into me. I'd rather screech out of the window like a banshee & flash gang signs. That'll teach 'em.

But, seriously, in Boston I saw a rageful nutter get out of a car with a gun pointed at a driver, who dared blare at them & once in Atlanta, someone in a car beside me shot out the window of the car directly in front of me for blaring the horn, whilst we were going down the highway at 70mph. Nothing is that important that I need to have lead in my face. I'm a very tolerant driver & I've only lived in the most congested mega-cities in the world, oftentimes, in rather dicey areas. I just relax behind the wheel & am forever grateful I'm not sitting next to a large, odious strange ranger on the subway, who keeps leaning into me & smelling my hair.

Also, after living in downtown Boston & NYC for far too long, where people blare the horn the instant a light changes to green... & they're 20+ back in line & won't make it through 'til the 3rd or 4th change of light anyway... I still don't understand that kind of unwarranted impatience. And, further, on days off, I was trying to sleep with all that bleedin' racket.

No horn for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive