Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM

427 posts, read 947,919 times

Advertisements

She will be the best CEO at GM in half a century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,891 times
She bleeds GM. According to Wikipedia and what I've heard on the radio, her dad worked for Pontiac for 39 years, she was educated through GM's educational pipeline and worked up her entire career through GM. She's an engineer and has an MBA. It couldn't have been easy for a woman to get to where she is now in a heavily male-dominated field. To me, she sounds like she has just as much passion and cred as Bob Lutz.

That said, there are so many intangibles that make a successful CEO that it's hard to say how successful she'll be. OTOH, GM is doing very well so as long as she doesn't make any major blunders, she'll probably do fine.

Her biggest problem will be to turn around GM-Europe.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:38 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
I'll take this lady any day:

Elena Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Her team had the guts not sell out to Big Brother and Barry-O; makes a better product, too,

Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I like this lady taking over at GM.
Next we will have our first female POTUS and then maybe we can keep our noses out of other countries wars.

Good move on GM's part.

"women don't have the same passion for cars as men" probably said by somebody who has never even changed a tire.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
You have to wonder if it is partly a political move to try and make up for the 40 billion dollar lose the tax payer just got stuck with? Maybe soften up us who have vowed to never buy GM again.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
She didn't come from the minivan and econbox wing of GM. She handled rollouts of Corvettes and Silverados (among other vehicles) As someone else said she has worked her way up through GM, fighting the 'Good Old Boys' all along the way. If she isn't a 'car person' than there aren't any left in GM

Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Her job as very little to do with having a passion for cars.

She operates a huge company. Her job concerns strategy and decision making. She doesn't need to know the spec of every Corvetter. She needs to be an effective leader who makes sound decisions.
This. She's now the CEO, not a design-manager.

Besides, even if she DID do a horrible job as CEO, she'd just join a group of men who have done horribly at the same job.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, no kidding! Why would you (OP) think women can't share a passion for cars, or that men have some sort of innate "appreciation" for the history of the automobile? Not many still-living Americans were around when the first car came rolling off the assembly line, so it's not like a man is any more likely to have that strong connection. And people wonder why I say women aren't regarded the same in auto-related businesses/hobbies? Sheesh.

But like a few others have said, her position is more about being a good businessperson - which a woman is perfectly capable of being, regardless of the specific industry. Although, if she weren't at least somewhat passionate about cars, why would she have been in this business for so long?

The OP stated "My impression is that women in general do not have the same passion for cars as men."

That is not sexist, that is a fact; generally, men are and always have been "more into" cars than women. That does not at all mean there are women that are not into cars, it is just more men are than women.

Anyway, her being or not being into cars has nothing to do with her position.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think it's a good move.

If she can influence the company to be more in tune with what women want and need in a vehicle.....that would translate into increased sales.
[/url]
The counterpoint to your argument is that making vehicles more appealing to women might make them less appealing to men. The impact on sales could be neutral or negative. I don't believe women buy 62% of new vehicles. I think men buy more vehicles than women and spend more money on them. So any move to make vehicles more appealing to women has to be done without hurting the appeal to men.

I see no reason by the way that any automaker can't build fine vehicles to appeal to both genders.

As for the new CEO, I don't care what gender it is. She needs to run a large complicated company. She needs to deal with a unionized labor force and a global market. Other than cultural challenges within GM, there is no reason she can't be successful.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The counterpoint to your argument is that making vehicles more appealing to women might make them less appealing to men.
Most things are appealing to both men and women. Maybe a man doesn't really care one way or the other about certain car features, but the same features are important to many women. In this example they would gain women customers without losing the male customers.

Actually, features and design isn't the main problem with GM anyway...it's long term reliability. That's something that takes many years to turn around. Reliability is important to men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive