Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:27 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
There is no increased cost for maintenance for a luxury car. Oil and tires cost the same regardless of the vehicle they are used on.
Yes, but a lesser car does not require Z rated hi performance tires which cost $300 each.

Price an alternator on any autoparts site for a Mercdes S class and then price an alternator for the other car. You will see the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I'm with you. I loved my 740iL for the 5 years I had it, after buying it used with 143k miles on it.

I picked up a used 535i x-drive last Monday with 41K on the clock. Sticker was $61K new. I got it for $29K.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:27 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,589 times
Use luxury without a doubt. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Maintenance on a Lexus/Infinit/Acura isn't that much different than their standard brands. Benz may be a different story.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:34 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Never really understood how a used car was automatically "someone else's headache." Out of the hundered plus cars I've owned in the last 35 years, only a couple were new, and when I sold them, they certainly weren't my headache at that point.
I wouldn't say it's "automatically" but you just never know and that's not a risk I'm willing to take, that's all. Maybe it's irrational, maybe it's a waste of money but it's my money.

If I knew the car and the owner, that's one thing. But I've heard too many horror stories here and elsewhere about used cars. It's one thing to spend 8-10k on a used car, that's a risk I might take but $40k? No thanks.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:51 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
For $40k, I would look at a gently used Mercedes E350. The 6-cylinder models are not as costly as the 8 and 12-cylinder models with respect to maintenance and repairs. The 8's are somewhat more expensive, but the 12's are significantly more expensive, especially the AMG trims.

I would also consider a BMW 5 series for that price, too, even better if you could find one in the $30k range that is CPO. I would not buy a Chrysler 300 new or used, but that may just be my taste. I have had them many times as rentals and the luxury is faux luxury, as in I could see the components breaking and wearing much faster than in a higher quality car. The Lexus ES is not bad, either, but has a soft ride, not as taut as the E-Class, and certainly much softer than a BMW. The C-class is a good vehicle, too, but if you want a sedan with more utility, look at a used E-Class for the same money. The rear seat in the C-class is very tight, a bit more than a BMW 3, which I would also consider new around $40k.

The LS is not terribly expensive to own, a tad more than a regular Lexus, owing to more cylinders and the like. However, the S-Class can have much more expensive issues than a premium sedan. The LS will also hold value better over the long term when compared with the S-Class.

So, it would depend upon what you want out if a car as to which I would recommend. If you want a large full sized sedan that is comfortable, the Lexus is a good choice. Slightly smaller, the E350 would be one to compare to the Lexus ES.

I would look more to luxury CPO for the added value and features, over a Chrysler 300.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-24-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Yes, but a lesser car does not require Z rated hi performance tires which cost $300 each.

Price an alternator on any autoparts site for a Mercdes S class and then price an alternator for the other car. You will see the difference.

You don't have to put Z rated tires on any car unless you plan on exceeding the speed limit.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:01 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
But I've heard too many horror stories here and elsewhere about used cars. It's one thing to spend 8-10k on a used car, that's a risk I might take but $40k? No thanks.
Generally you hear horror stories from people who simply don't know much about cars. Are you one of those people? if not, then what happens to one of them has no bearing on what will happen to you, if you have half a brain when looking at a car. And a $40k used car will usually be fairly new and not a problem. Most late model luxury cars are being traded in on NEW luxury cars, as there is no status symbol in driving around last year's luxury. Sucks for the vain, but it's great for the rest of us that love getting bargains on luxury items.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
In another thread here, I have told my story of looking at a used Lexus ES 350 instead of a new Accord. There are a lot of factors involved. In my case, the owner seems to have an emotional attachment that clouds his judgement of a realistic price. Because of reading CD threads, I would be scared to look at used BMW and MB because of the high maintenance cost.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:21 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,921 times
I would have to agree with BMWguy that the Lexus LS would be the best choice for the high end Luxury
cars. Its very reliable, holds its value better and the maintenance cost is less than the BMW and the Merc.
Pretty much everything BMWguy said is right on.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
I would have to agree with BMWguy that the Lexus LS would be the best choice for the high end Luxury
cars. Its very reliable, holds its value better and the maintenance cost is less than the BMW and the Merc.
Pretty much everything BMWguy said is right on.

There is no such thing as a luxury Japanese car. Adding more features and options to a Camary and calling it a Lexus does not make it any more "luxurious". It is the equivalent of buying a fake Rolex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive