Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 AM

227 posts, read 1,105,149 times

Advertisements

Yahoo!

Is that what you were thinking it would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
You don't stay rich by buying BMWs or Porsches.

Just look at how many sport and music stars wash out and go BK after stardom has passed.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
Yahoo!

Is that what you were thinking it would be?
Actually it was very close to what I was expecting. 80% of each list were what I would consider luxury cars, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche. Pretty much every list had at least one hybrid or one flashy new economical car.

However hybrids are expensive to average Americans. And new cars in general are a little more rare in the typical American zip code, so by the premises that these are all probably brand new or newer cars I am not all that surprised.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:37 AM

427 posts, read 948,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Just look at how many sport and music stars wash out and go BK after stardom has passed.
You are correct. Buying BMWs and Porsches will not help one stay rich. But many rich people buy them and remain rich.

It's not as if buying these cars will cause one to become poor.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:

True, they are looking for what is practical for them like most everyone else. Medina, WA which is near us, is big on SUVs and minivans because they tend to have kids, and we get snow/ice at times. We do have several luxury car dealerships in Bellevue which is next to Medina (Medina has no businesses to speak of) and they are doing well but sell more to mid-salary-range people in high tech that have no kids, and like to show off. They may have a $200,000 car but live in a modest for the area $3,000/month rental condo. We see nerdy looking people driving Lamborghini or Ferrari all the time, even Tesla roadsters. Tesla has a showroom in the Bellevue Square Mall, just a mile or so from Medina.
I remember the time I was at a red light in Redmond next to a Ferrari, in my '72 El Camino and couldn't resist a jack-rabbit start. I was at the next light stopped before the guy in the Ferrari even made it through the first intersection.

Bentley Bellevue - Find your new, used or pre-owned luxury Bentley vehicle here : www.bellevue.bentleymotors.com

Park Place LTD - West Coast's premier luxury sports collector and exotic car dealership

Jaguar Land Rover of Bellevue also serving Seattle Seattle used car dealers - Washington

Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Actually, luxury cars tend to be built better than other kinds of cars. That's why they also last longer.

It's probably more economical to buy one solid luxury car and keep it for 20 years than buy 3 or 4 lesser cars that don't last as long over the same time period.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Actually, luxury cars tend to be built better than other kinds of cars. That's why they also last longer.
More likely, they last longer because the owners can afford to follow the maintenance schedules and repair them when repairs are first called for.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
Rich people lease. They know it's dumb to have $100,000 of cash tied up in a vehicle. That $100K invested can pay for their lease payment, making that S550 rental practically free. Keeping cash liquid to be able to jump in a lucrative investment is key to building wealth.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It's probably more economical to buy one solid luxury car and keep it for 20 years than buy 3 or 4 lesser cars that don't last as long over the same time period.

Ask any BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class owner about depreciation. These care also deliver repair bills that call for Preparation H.

I’m also willing to bet the survival rate is lower when compared to plebian transport appliances. It only takes one major repair outside of warranty for some of the luxo barges to hit the dumpster. This is what I seen first hand as a tech.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Rich people lease. They know it's dumb to have $100,000 of cash tied up in a vehicle. That $100K invested can pay for their lease payment, making that S550 rental practically free. Keeping cash liquid to be able to jump in a lucrative investment is key to building wealth.
A lot of truth here... they buy hobby cars but for daily transportation it makes sense (if dollars is not top priority) to go with a short term (even prepaid) lease of a top range car. I know a wealthy individual that owns his Ferrari but leases a new MB or like every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive