Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM

89 posts, read 409,912 times

Advertisements

I took it to the dealer today they couldn't get it out (and they said supercharger uses oil from motor-lol), I went to another place and again no luck-and we might have stripped it a little trying to unscrew it. I think what I'll do is take it to a machine shop and give the guy the ideas you guys recommended. I'm too scared to attempt it myself don't want to damage the supercharger since its aluminum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You should be ok drilling and tapping. Here are a couple options, apply liberal amounts of bearing grease to the tips of the drill bit and tap when using them. The metal shards will stick right to it. Other option is to have someone apply air pressure to the fill hole while you are drilling and tapping.
how is air pressure going to help? you mean blow air on the screw while unscrewing it?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 PM

I truly appreciate everyone's help. Once I get it out I'll let you guys know what worked

Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
I truly appreciate everyone's help. Once I get it out I'll let you guys know what worked
Please do. That's a heckuva problem you got going on.
Don't know what your budget/abilities are, but I think it's going to go to the machine shop for drilling and tapping. Heat and time has evidently fuzed the plug in place.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM

I did manage to get it out (well not me, a mechanic). All he did was lightly tap on it with a different size allen key until he could get a good grip and unscrewed it fairly easy-it did take a few tries though. I told him about heating it first but he said not very safe due to supercharger being aluminum. I'm glad I was able to get it out and change the oil (which did stink like old cheese) and before going to him I went to another place that refused to mess with it and then an a machine shop who also wasn't comfortable messing with it and wanted $200 to remove the nose and get it out from the inside.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can try heating up the plug with a propane torch. Someone probably used loctite on the plug or sealant or simply a chemical reaction/ corrosion between the aluminum housing and steel plug a propane torch can be set to really low temp. You just wanna warm it up

Worse comes to worse you can use easy out bits.

I
1) heat should grow the Aluminum housing more than steel (Plug). When heated... stick a candle on the edge of threads and wax will penetrate threads.

If TORX is stripped, use a stubby spline-type EZ OUT or a 12point (triple Square) driver, that you can tap in. (Maybe use an IMPACT driver)... HAND, not power

I really have had great luck with PW 12 pts, these Lisle seem SOFT.
Lisle 60750 12 Point Triple Square Bit Set : Amazon.com : Automotive

PS... Glad you got it out... I will leave my post for the 'next need'.
BTW... Aluminum can be safely heated. Use a heat gun if in doubt, flames can get too hot for the oil / gaskets.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
This is exactly why left hand threads need to become a bit more common place in peoples garages. in any situation with plug, you can tap it with a left hand bit, then screw a left hand bolt in to it and once it goes all the way in, will start to turn the plug out since the bolt can't go any further.

I don't want to deal with left hand stuff while working on my car, but as a tool to remove stuck stuff instead.

The only place I've seen a left hand thread in practice was on the formula SAE car in college. Boy did that annoy the crap out of me.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM

793 posts, read 1,420,033 times
pb blaster and an impact driver?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
I did manage to get it out (well not me, a mechanic). All he did was lightly tap on it with a different size allen key until he could get a good grip and unscrewed it fairly easy-it did take a few tries though. I told him about heating it first but he said not very safe due to supercharger being aluminum. I'm glad I was able to get it out and change the oil (which did stink like old cheese) and before going to him I went to another place that refused to mess with it and then an a machine shop who also wasn't comfortable messing with it and wanted $200 to remove the nose and get it out from the inside.
It sounds like it was only the head that was stripped out. Whatever you do, don't put the same plug back in, buy a new one.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
OP, good going that you got it out. Tapping carefully on a screw that's stuck is one way to get it loose. A really good proper bit like one you get from Snap-On (as opposed to a cheaper bit) can help with stuff that's way tight.

Some Kroil or PB Blaster sprayed on the threaded joint and kept wet with it several days might have helped.

I have wondered if anyone in a similar situation has started with the whole system warm and (using proper precautions on skin/eyes/face) used dry ice to chill the plug?

Putting some good anti-seize compound on the plug can help prevent recurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive