Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times

Advertisements

Have you all noticed a somewhat decreased visibility in new cars? Especially side-to-side, but also rear visibility doesn't seem as good as cars of 15 years ago. This is not model specific.

Maybe for reverse visibility, the cameras will help--but I'm very nervous about that. I think that should strictly be for parking only, but I fear that people will use it for backing out which are situations that demand a much wider field of vision. Perhaps it won't affect us current drivers as we're conditioned to look out of the rearview mirror anyway (when I've driven cars with the electronic camera, I still found myself physically looking out back). Furthermore, I fear it's a matter it's not if, but when, a camera won't work (or will be blamed) for a situation that will explode into a major legal controversy within the industry.

Now to be fair, on the flipside, i do note improvements in the robustness of cars. Might be a poor represtntive sample as I'm talking about large mid-sizes (Fusions, Maximas, Passats) but cars seem sturdier, and handle relatively low speed collisions better--I think there's better strucutral integrity for the most part relative to 15 years ago. But I don't know if this applies to econoboxes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Every vehicle today is better built and safer than the cars of ten years ago.

As for visibility - it might be true that visibility is worse today as aerodynamics and styling often takes precedence over visibility. But that is a problem more or cars perhaps than modern SUVs or CUVs. Lots of SUVs are bought by people who like the higher seating position and the view that goes with it.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
It seems like cars nowadays are built with very high back ends. Very small rear windshields and LED tail lights BEAMING in your face.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Well, yeah, there are a number of factors. Crash structures are MUCH better these days, leading to thicker pillars and higher beltlines, as well as stronger roofs.

Aerodynamic requirments mean lower noses and high rears, and laid back windshields (which require even stronger/thicker A pillars).

Combine both and you get less glass area vertically all around, and deeper, thicker pillars to try to see around.

But really, if someone like me can get used to an old panel delivery truck or and ambulance, or a windowless van for work, then we can accomodate slightly less glass area on a car like my Volt.

I mean, one of the cars I learned to drive on was my dad's '48 Ford panel delivery:

Zero rear visibility though the tiny oval rear windows and no side windows and only one mirror...

Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Yes, many cars have poor outward visibility compared to cars years ago. I think higher beltlines to better protect occupants from taller vehicles is partially to blame.

I have ruled out many a potential car I was shopping due to my dislike of the visibility I had out of it.

Backup cameras do help a LOT in rearward visibility.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
NHTSA sends rear visibility rules to White House for review | The Detroit News

EXCERPT:

The regulation is aimed at helping eliminate blind zones behind vehicles that can hide the presence of pedestrians, especially young children and the elderly. NHTSA said adding cameras to all vehicles would reduce fatalities in back-up crashes from a range of 95 to 112 annually out of the nearly 300 annual back-over deaths.

NHTSA notes that about 100 children age 5 or younger die annually in backup crashes and "there are strong reasons... to prevent these deaths." More than half of those 100 are 1 year old or younger.

---

Visibility may be down, but overall safety is up. And just because visibility is down, doesn't mean it's not being corrected. I see the vehicle safety trend as one without a peak in sight.

And as Merc said, if you aren't used to the lower visibility of the vehicle you are driving, you can get used to it and adapt. People who drive work trucks, delivery trucks, and 18-wheelers deal with limited visibility by learning to use their side mirrors effectively.

And if you just don't feel comfortable with the visibility in the car you currently own and don't believe you can adapt, perhaps you should have realized that on the test drive before forking over the $$.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Interesting. I only rent cars so usually this years models. I was saying this very thing to the wife, but not about visibility rearward or to the sides but forward! I just returned a 2014 Kia Rio and it was not possible to see traffic signals without bending down and looking up! I found it hugely annoying.

My budget does not run to renting cars that have back-up cameras as standard equipment. I have been a passenger in a recent Avalon that had a back-up camera. I don't think anyone is meant to actually use them to reverse with! Its there so you don't run over rugrats or domesticated critters. Backing up has to be done slowly and with care almost as if you were blind and feeling your way along. I've known people who could drive almost as fast in reverse as they could forward but those days are gone. What am I talking about, they were never here, for me anyway.

H

Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM

455 posts, read 597,946 times
Euro guidelines and pedestrian safety garbage = Higher belt lines

Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Well, Nissan Cube e.g.
Or, 1st gen Scion xB. You basically in a glass box. I guess it does depend on a model.
Also, BMW started making cars with side view cameras in bumpers. You can pull into arterial all you want to, you can see better than out of driver seat, as cameras are out there in the front corners of bumper fascia.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I suggested a BMW for my five foot nothing friend.
But no, all her friends drive Mercedes so she had to have a Mercedes.
Can't see worth..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive