Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Sienna has a chain instead of a belt?

Yes..as do most Toyotas the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:04 PM

486 posts, read 832,395 times
I thought you didn't have to change a drive chain?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Which I guess with that way of thinkng it would be the Honda built in Alabama since the Chrysler is built in Canada.
Or you could buy the Toyota Sienna, built in Princeton, Indiana.

Mine, which I bought new in 2004, had a relay in the air conditioner go out with 105,000 miles on it, and the air conditioner quit. Had the relay replaced at the dealer, $300 because it was hard to reach.

We have had zero other problems with it. It still starts and runs like new. It's available with either front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
OP, stick with another Ody. Price a certified pre owned with a warranty.Next year you will have 2011 lease turn ins available with less than 36K miles on them. Let someone else pay your depreciation!

The Chryslers have big time chassis computer problems. They are so bad I won't sell them used anymore even though I could make money on them, they are all vehicle specific now and every time you replace one it has to be reprogrammed at the $tealer.

By drive chain are you meaning the timing chain? The 3.5L has a timing belt which is a wear item and has to be replaced at certain intervals.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times
This is a great question!

I have struggled with this same dilemma in the past. We ended up buy a used Ford Windstar for $7500 with 40k miles on it and it was the absolute worst car I have ever owned. We ended up sinking $6000 into that car to just get it to 100k miles! However, I have friends who have had to replace the transmission in their Odysseys too, so there is no guarantee either way.

I'm pretty sure the Odyssey's get better mpg (which can add up pretty quickly) plus they hold their value.

The used Odyssey's are just so expensive; it almost seems like you could be better off (in the long run) just buying a brand new one and keeping it forever.

I dunno, its a tough call; let us know what you decide!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

Mine, which I bought new in 2004, had a relay in the air conditioner go out with 105,000 miles on it, and the air conditioner quit. Had the relay replaced at the dealer, $300 because it was hard to reach.

We have had zero other problems with it. It still starts and runs like new. It's available with either front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive.

Thanks, was already aware of that. Most years the Sienna usually also has tye most domestic parts content of all minivans as well. Never bothered to look at the Odessey content % though.But was sticking to the two choices the OP was talking of.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Years ago I had an AWD Grand Voyager and I loved it. Ran it to 150K when I got rear-ended and it was totalled or I would have kept driving it.

That said, general reliability is better for Honda than Chrysler products, so my anecdote is worth less than the data that supports sticking with Honda.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM

286 posts, read 555,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Does the T&C have a timing belt?
pretty sure the new Penstar V6 engines use a timing chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

agree with the Sienna, Toyota 2GR-FE V6 engine does not have a timing belt, rather a timing chain which does not need replacement unlike the J-series Honda V6.

Also Toyota doesn't use a cylinder deactivation system like Honda which seems to have some reliability issues. Overall the Odyssey is a better vehicle, but the Sienna has the superior and more reliable engine. Both are fine vehicles, Toyota and Honda both do extensive component testing ensuring higher levels of durability.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
This is a great question!

I have struggled with this same dilemma in the past. We ended up buy a used Ford Windstar for $7500 with 40k miles on it and it was the absolute worst car I have ever owned. We ended up sinking $6000 into that car to just get it to 100k miles! However, I have friends who have had to replace the transmission in their Odysseys too, so there is no guarantee either way.

I'm pretty sure the Odyssey's get better mpg (which can add up pretty quickly) plus they hold their value.

The used Odyssey's are just so expensive; it almost seems like you could be better off (in the long run) just buying a brand new one and keeping it forever.

I dunno, its a tough call; let us know what you decide!
I'm in a similar minivan purchase quandary as the OP, and the issue with Odyssey transmissions has me worried. I can do a lot of my own maintenance, so a bunch of small issues doesn't bother me as much as the prospect of needing a new transmission right after I purchase a used Odyssey.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:13 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey92 View Post
Buy local buy American and keep Americans employed in manufacturing
I would like to hear your response to the challenge that the Honda & Toyo are made in America and that Chrysler is now owned by Fiat.

Are you another pro UAW shill that we keep seeing on this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive