Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:03 PM

86 posts, read 141,830 times

Advertisements

They offer a 5yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I think for most, that would some it up. Along with their great sales prices.

I am looking at the Kia Sorento. I could purchase a slightly used one, with all the bells and whistles, for around $15K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Theyre average. We own a 01 Sonata, we're mildly pleased. Its a decent overall ride.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:22 PM

I really, really, really hate to purchase a foreign vehicle. I don't want too. However, we need a SUV in relatively new shape with basic options. Fords and GMs sell really high, and their fuel mileage sucks. We can purchase a well equipped Kia Sorento with all the bells and whistles, huge warranty, and great gas mileage for about $15K.

I want to help our local economy. I can't stand the idea of my money going to Korea, Japan, etc. I want it to stay in circulation here within the States. However, a new Ford Escape, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Dodge Dakota, all are too pricy and their fuel mileage stinks.

The Escapes interest us a whole bunch. However, their cost is a little higher than it should be. Has any one noticed that most Fords are traded in before they reach 25K miles? They run really well for about 15K miles. I have owned several Fords, presently own a Focus.

The Focus has rear shock problems and an engine tick. The dealership has had two opportunities to fix it. They deny anything is wrong. I have about 10K left on the warranty, then it is my trouble. Do you honestly think I could sell that car with problems to a buyer? NO! The first time anyone with common sense were to test drive it, they would run away so fast.

The focus runs pretty well and gets decent gas mileage and has pretty good pick-up. However, the dealerships don't want to tweak a little item, because they don't get paid for it.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,785 times
My neighbor is on there 2nd Kia Sorento They love it and have had no issues.They drive from Fl. to Canada alot.If a new car delaship will not get a warrenty issue fixed take it to another dealership.And call the hotline phone # in your owners manual and complain.A squeakie wheel get fixed.I know I retired from the new car dealership service world after 27 years.Just make sure you give correct info.When,were,hot,cold,at idle,highway speed.And smile.The more people fussed at us the longer we would take.And yes most repair tech don't know what they are doing.They are just parts changers.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 PM

OMG! Most are part changers? HA HA. I need to interview you confidentially on ABC. Would you be up to it? Your identity would be hidden.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
I really, really, really hate to purchase a foreign vehicle. I don't want too.
Maybe look into a Jeep Patriot or a Chevy Equinox if you dont want to go import. But remember, most popular Japanese/Korean models are built here in the states while your "American" companies are building cars in China, Mexico, Canada, etc, etc.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Have a 2004 Sonata with 53,000 totally trouble free miles and EXCELLANT service. next car is a Sonata also....

Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Default Before you buy............

There is an old adage in dealerships:

Sales sells the first car, service sells the second.

In any brand you are looking in, check out the service dept. Are they informed, courteous, is the place neat and clean, do they offer loaner cars, do they have any customer satisfaction reports, etc. Check it out before you buy. If the place is a mess, the parts room a shambles, everyone skulking around with bad attitudes, people yelling in the shop, etc., then it's probably not the place for you. It makes a difference, believe me. There are always people waiting around the dealership for their cars to be fixed; ask them what they think. You might be surprised.

Honestly, you cannot buy a "bad" car these days. Everything is much better made than even five or ten years ago. As far as Kia/Hyundai; I would buy one over a GM anyday.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
I was going to suggest the equinox, but then i think i heard that the engine is chinese and the car is assembled in canada. Oh well.....

Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM

65 posts, read 88,011 times
Stay away from Kia and Hynduai, unless you want to get a new car every 80k miles.

My mom has a 98 accent that got 60k miles before it threw a rod. She bought a 2001 accent after that, and that lasted 85k miles, and needed a new head gasket and destroyed one of the valves.

Kias arent much better, my uncle has the SUV from Kia, its a 2005 and it has been to the shop at least 20 times before they finally fixed it, and it still runs like crap.

Take your money and buy a honda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive