Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Good options given already. Acura MDX, Lexus LX. I've got a Jeep GC, it's going to be... underwhelming if you want to fit in with CEO's.

Take a look at the Porsche Cayenne. Luxurious, powerful, capable offroad, can haul the dogs (just get a weather tech mat for the back and the cargo separator so your dogs can't jump in the back seat) and of course, it has the brand cache.

I have one, it's been pretty much bulletproof. Vastly prefer it over my Jeep GC, it's no comparison. For $35k, you can find plenty of 2009-2010 CPO Cayennes.
I like the Cayenne, but maintenance on those can be very pricey. I would hesitate recommending something like that to someone who seems to be rather budget conscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
If something goes wrong, sure. Oil changes are more expensive because it takes 9-10 qts of synthetic oil, but I do that myself every 10k.

I've actually spent more money on our GC the last two years than I have on the Cayenne by far. (New shocks all around, new radiator, new hatch struts, steering damper, track bar, brake light bulbs... It's always something.)

Only thing to go wrong with the Cayenne since we bought it was the rear hatch struts had to be replaced, and a camshaft sensor ($100.)

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If something goes wrong, sure. Oil changes are more expensive because it takes 9-10 qts of synthetic oil, but I do that myself every 10k.

I've actually spent more money on our GC the last two years than I have on the Cayenne by far. (New shocks all around, new radiator, new hatch struts, steering damper, track bar, brake light bulbs... It's always something.)

Only thing to go wrong with the Cayenne since we bought it was the rear hatch struts had to be replaced, and a camshaft sensor ($100.)
The oil changes are sticker shock for many people, especially if they are paying to have it done, lol. The JGC's aren't exactly the paradigm of reliability either and the Cayennes do seem to be bolted together better than the Touaregs.

Honestly, the whole scenario kind of makes me cringe, which is why I liked jazzlovers suggestion. I don't think the OP really has the budget to get a "do everything" vehicle and afford to maintain it or deal with something breaking.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
There is no others to consider. You can get a new GC for $35k but the one I priced out for the wife is at $37k with leather, climate control, moonroof, leather, V6, xenon lamps, and a few extras. It may be as some say underwhelming for CEO's but you can get to the office and back when others are crying to work from home.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM

113 posts, read 619,571 times
The newer Jeep Grand cherokee is very nice, the 3.6L engine is very nice and powerful, and they did a good job with the interior. You can buy a used 2013 under 30k.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
I would say a Chevy Suburban gives you the best of everything in towing off-road capability and just option it up to have more of a luxury upscale interior similar to the Yukon Denali and you have a perfect vehicle that is able to tow and haul the same as a comparable 1/2-ton Chevy PU.

But depending on how many passengers and how much towing and the size travel trailer you haul you may need or want a 3/4-ton for Towing/Hauling then a Suburban 2500 is pretty much your only choice and the best choice that meets all you needs and is up to the task.

The only other 1/2-ton truck based SUV you should also look at is the Ford Expedition either of the two are great choices if you need a SUV with Real Towing/Hauling capability with a large luxurious interior if pick the higher level trims or add on some luxury options to a low trim model.

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-21-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
I had a virtually identical need, but ended up keeping my rather-nice pickup, that is aging gracefully, for personal use hauling supplies and general commuting. I bought a rather-pretentious AWD sports car for those times when I wanted to both impress and have fun (pavement) on the weekends.

In your case, for do-it-all, couple options though none is perfect. All are the SUV route:

- As you say, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Porsche make "upscale" SUVs. Having driven all of them, I'd take a close look at the Cayennes: none are JPN quality, but the Porsche splits the difference between sporty, cool, and somewhat reliable. I'm fortunate Seattle has several dealers who are definitely on-the-level with customers, too. I've now owned a 911 Turbo...vastly outside your price range, unf...several years (bought used and certified) and it is reasonably reliable. When it breaks, however, costs are much higher than JPN.

- Land Rover Range Rovers can be problematic over the long haul, per JD Powers, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc. I took a long, close look at these (supercharged, and Sport) and so much wanted to buy one for the interesting look and great drive plus utility. However, I cannot and will not deal with significant quality problems in a vehicle: went through that once, with a 1997 E39 BMW, and got out of it after 2.5 very frustrating years. Range Rovers: when they work, nothing can touch them for class and style along the lines of what you mention. When they don't...which is too often... you're dealing with unacceptable gremlins. If just writing checks and dealing-with that garbage is OK, by all means.

- Cadillac Escalade: these are so goofy, yet useful, may be something to consider. They really are nice, and roomy, albeit right on the edge of "loud" (purview of rappers, gangstas, sports figures, larger-than-life personalities).

I think you're on the right track, reading your ideas that mostly match mine. Do take a look at Escalades, if that image is "you."

Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
There seems to be an unwritten thought in this thread that the Jeep GC is not good enough for CEOs. I have seen quite a few CEOs and CFOs driving them so they can't be that bad. Their interior is every bit as nice or nicer than the lower range Land Rovers, and they are the most capable SUV out of all of the offerings of the big three American brands.

As much as I like German vehicles, I would advise the OP to avoid them because of the cost of maintenance. I like the above poster's recommendation of the Cadillac Escalade. It may just be the vehicle for you.

Last edited by james777; 01-21-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
There seems to be an unwritten thought in this thread that the Jeep GC is not good enough for CEOs.
It's not a question of being "good enough." It's that the OP said they were looking for a vehicle for professional purposes as well that would fit the role of a luxury, upscale vehicle, and the Jeep simply isn't it.

I have a Jeep GC Overland, which was the highest luxury trim/engine package you could have. It's nice... but it's decidedly average, even though it's their most luxurious model. To me, the Jeep GC defines the midsize SUV segment perfectly... it's right in the middle between luxury and crap. But if you wanted to drive something to make a good impression with upper management, it's not going to wow anyone.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Well, I say a used gussied-up 4runner: Lexus GX
but I sure wouldn't want the execs to ride in a car smelling like dirty dogs!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive