Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

The Fit comes with a lot of cool stuff as standard equipment. One of the ways Honda seems to do things is sell a lot of cars all the same. Still, it is a Honda and will be driving a long many years from now, or at least it has the potential to be driving around years from now. I don't think you will get it to turn any heads though. If that does not matter then drive away into a reliable car built from a company that builds mostly reliable cars.

The Mini, although a great car when new has been known to get transmission problems later in life. It can be a costly car to own. I for one love the styling of the car. Friends that have them say that the car is fun to drive. Many versions of the car exist at this time so preferences can be met for many tastes. I would only lease this car and send it on its way untill more solid knowledge of the transmission issues have been resolved.

The Fiat 500 is my personal choice. I would love to own an Abarth version of the car. Still how long has the car been in existance? I don't know how many are in Europe at the moment. Still for some reason I like the car. It brings back memories for me of one that a neighbor had back in the late 60's. Interestingly by the early 1970's my dad was in the market for a small car and was planning on getting a 500. A new car was being sold by a local dealer called the 600. It was built by Honda and my dad ended up buying one of those instead back in 1971.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:31 PM

295 posts, read 442,177 times
I drive a 2008 Mini Cooper S 6 speed. I adore the car. It's fun to drive, I can shop at Costco and can pack a cubic buttload of stuff in it, and despite the above mentions of mechanical issues, the only thing other than routine maintenance we've encountered was a water pump problem that was covered by the warranty.

I've driven the Fiat and just don't care for it all. It feels stiff and awkward compared to the Mini.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I like small wagon type cars...

Even though they are small they are very usefull space wise.

I've hauled 40 gallon water heaters, a 9' artificial Christmas tree, a couple of square of roofing material plus tons of other stuff in a BMW 3 series sport wagon.

Rented the 1 series with a Diesel and am very impressed with that little wagon.

I think the fit would give you the utility and good resale.

I think hands down the mini is the most fun to drive...

The Fiat 500 has been around for a long time in Europe... never know though about US models because they are modified to meet US specs and only time will tell.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 PM

57 posts, read 106,619 times
I know two people with Minis with automatic transmissions.
I know two people with Minis with transmission problems. (yes, same people)
I know two people who will never buy another Mini after their experiences with their Mini dealers.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPandy View Post
I know two people with Minis with automatic transmissions.
I know two people with Minis with transmission problems. (yes, same people)
I know two people who will never buy another Mini after their experiences with their Mini dealers.
As has been noted, the automatics (like automatics in many small engine cars) are problematic. A proper manual transmission fixes all the issues. As for the dealer, that's too bad. our dealer is great, though we have only mostly needed to go there for factory maintenance (oil changes and other regular maintenance are free with the car). The service department is courteous and they usually get us in and out prett quickly. There was a temperature sender recall that they did quickly, and the check engine light came on once right after we got it (turned out to be for the oil filler cap that was loose from delivery) and again, quick and painless and they were very nice. Best dealer experiences I've had in 35 years of driving.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Default LOVE hot hatches

The Fit will be your best bet. I owned a first generation Fit. The rear seats folding down into the floor is pretty wild and should be seen firsthand, if you haven't already. I hauled a 40 gallon water heater in the back of mine. And its no slouch on the road, either. Plenty of fun-to-drive factor. OTOH, I did have problems with coil packs going bad. Hopefully, that has been cleared up in the third generation model.

The Ford Fiesta might be worth a tire kick if only for the lower entry level price, depending on how you feel about Fords. Some swear by them. Others swear at them.

The Fiat and MINI are fun to drive, but you'll sacrifice some cargo space. It technically has "back seats", but they're pretty much unusable by anyone over the age of 12.

One last suggestion would be the Prius C. Not many hybrids sell new for only $2000 more than a top-of-the-line Fit [check local listings]. It gets, bar none, better gas mileage than most anything else you'll test drive [it should also be noted that the mileage improvements are most noticeable in the city]. The interior space is better than the MINI, Fiat, or Fiesta. I've had mine for a little over a year now, and couldn't be more pleased.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
At 75K miles, my son's Mini blew the water pump. At 90K, it lost the timing belt, destroying the motor. The Mini is a British car with a French motor. This is one of the worst 10 per a survey of used car dealers.

Honestly, look at a Fusion, etc, something a little larger. A lack of space is also a big issue. Finally, get an automatic or one where you can switch from auto to standard and back. Committing with a standard is a real PITA.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Of the 3,
for reliability pick the Fit
for fun, pick the mini
for looks, either the mini or 500
for price, the fit, then the 500

the Mini is cute, fun to drive and has a reputation of being unreliable and costly, to both buy and maintain.

the 500 isn't all that reliable, from what I hear, but is interesting

the Fit will be reliable, well thought out, and decently equipped, but not near as much fun, or cool

the Volvo C30 is an interesting car, and I'd consider a VW GTI as well.

to me, a lot comes down to disposable income, willingness to deal with hassle, and purpose.

if you're doing a lot of weekend trips, I think you're going to find these feeling small. if you're doing a lot of city driving and errands, then these would be good choices. Status an issue, the Fit is out. if you are looking for the most reliable car out there, the 500 and Mini aren't great choices and could get costly out of warranty.

as someone in the NYC suburbs out in Nassau county...... if you're truly in the City, I would definitely be more inclined to sign up for zipcar unless this is truly an every weekend and a few times a week thing. Cars in Manhattan are truly a luxury at what it costs to park, insure and maintain them there.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
We have a 500 and like it very much but would never consider it as a load carrier.

Some friends of ours have an old style Honda Jazz- read Honda Fit, and it's like a mini Tardis.

If you don't follow Dr Who that means it seems bigger inside than out!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Of the 3,
for reliability pick the Fit
for fun, pick the mini
for looks, either the mini or 500
for price, the fit, then the 500

the Mini is cute, fun to drive and has a reputation of being unreliable and costly, to both buy and maintain.

the 500 isn't all that reliable, from what I hear, but is interesting

the Fit will be reliable, well thought out, and decently equipped, but not near as much fun, or cool

the Volvo C30 is an interesting car, and I'd consider a VW GTI as well.

to me, a lot comes down to disposable income, willingness to deal with hassle, and purpose.

if you're doing a lot of weekend trips, I think you're going to find these feeling small. if you're doing a lot of city driving and errands, then these would be good choices. Status an issue, the Fit is out. if you are looking for the most reliable car out there, the 500 and Mini aren't great choices and could get costly out of warranty.

as someone in the NYC suburbs out in Nassau county...... if you're truly in the City, I would definitely be more inclined to sign up for zipcar unless this is truly an every weekend and a few times a week thing. Cars in Manhattan are truly a luxury at what it costs to park, insure and maintain them there.
Unfortunately, I need my car for work which can involve a great deal of travel (local, national, international, you name it). I just bought a co-op unit which has a dedicated parking space, but as I say, parking is outdoor. I have a 2009 BMW 328i which has been great in LA, but I am looking to find something smaller more hassle free as my NYC lifestyle will not involve as much driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive