Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have four wheel drive on your vehicle?
Yes 52 65.00%
No 28 35.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Hi, Here in Cookeville Tennessee I think it's a big waste of money to have four wheel drive because we don't get enough snow to have it. When I was looking for a new vehicles most of dealers I went to had mainly SUV's and pick-up trucks with four wheel. I know many people that live in the city that own four wheel drive for some reason.

News, Do you really need four-wheel drive?

The added cost of having 4WD varies by vehicle model

A four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive vehicle is one in which the engine powers all four wheels either part of the time or all of the time. Most cars have two-wheel drive, which means either the front or back wheels are powered by the engine.

Do you really need four-wheel drive? - ForbesAutos.com - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I have owned 3 AWD vehicles, and I look forward to owning more. I cannot stand the driving feel and characteristic of FWD cars, but we do get enough snow around here to make RWD impractical unless you own a late-model higher-end marque with a very good stability control system. So the compromise is AWD. AWD also helps quite a bit in rain too, not just snow.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Unless you are frequently dealing with snow/ice/heavy rainfall conditions, AWD and 4x4 vehicles aren't needed, and are expensive to operate for a feature you don't utilize.

In addition to higher tire wear on 4x4 vehicles, there's more weight to carry around, more driveline losses, and higher fuel consumption than a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Of all the vehicles I've owned in my life, about 40% have had four wheel drive.
Personally, though, unlike many, I use it. I enjoy four wheeling, camping, hiking, and lots of other outdoor activities. I also enjoy doing those things to get away from things, especially crowds. In Southern California, about the only way to do so is to go where others can't. That pretty much necessitates four wheel drive, a horse, or hiking. I don't particularly like leaving my vehicle at one of the trailheads to be vandalized or broken into, which is why I don't do much hiking in the L.A. area. The places I prefer are those which I can drive a ways into, and where I can leave my vehicle without so much risk of it being damaged. That's one of the reasons I like four wheel drive.

It also snows in my area, so I like to have four wheel drive available for those times. My truck has it, but I don't drive it every day. My wife uses it to run errands near home, and to take the kids to school. If it looks like the weather will be bad, so that school would be canceled, then I'll drive the truck to work, and leave her the car. That way, I can get to and from work, and if the weather improves and the roads are clear, she can still get around.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
i've got an impreza WRX, and the awd suits me more than just the snow. i like it on the track as well. do i need it? well considering that there's damn near no 4 door sporting cars that aren't fwd or aren't bmtroubleyoo's or aren't as big as my damn house, yeah, i kind of do need it.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
AWD sure makes "Amateur Day on the Freeway" exciting for the rest of us when it snows...

Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
AWD sure makes "Amateur Day on the Freeway" exciting for the rest of us when it snows...
It's always an AWD SUV I see spun off of the road when it snows.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
It's always an AWD SUV I see spun off of the road when it snows.
LOL! Yeah, or flipped over on its roof.

RWD for me; it seldom snows where I live now. And I usually got by OK in snow with RWD too, I learned to drive before the advent of FWD.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
I'll always have one 4X4

I'd rather have it and not need it, then
need it and not have it

In just a few hours I can go from the nasty
roads of the desert to the snowy roads of the
high country.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Snow and sand is not much of an issue with me, but mud and just plain loose dirt/gravel is. Some folks need all 4 wheels working for reliable transportation. Not to mention all of the first-responders out there such as police, fire, rescue and hospital workers. They need to be able to make it to their work locations promptly regardless of the current conditions.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-02-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive