Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,696,980 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a new SUV and could use some advice and opinions on if his is a good deal or not....

I have a $20k or under budget and am in the market for a new SUV or wagon. Right now I'm looking at a 2014 Dodge Journy SXT v6 for $19,500.00. Is this a good deal or are there any other options I should be aware of in this price range?

A little about my needs/wants:

- I don't drive much but when I do it's long drives, sometimes bumpy roads or hard packed beaches (not off roading) with fishing, clamming, and kayaking gear or garage sale finds. So I'd like space.
- Something that has decent maneuverability, ie not so big I can't park it.
- Good safety rating

Thoughts, suggestions, advice? Please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,310,119 times
Journey is more of a crossover isn't it? I know you can get the Ford Escape for under 20k. Why dose it have to be new? If you don't drive much why but a new car and take that huge hit on depreciation?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

A few reasons I am looking at new....

I'm financing and my interest rate seems to be 2 pts lower on a new car. I initially wanted a used 2012 RAV4, but for the same price and lower interest I could get a new Journey.

The invoice for the Journey is 25000, so if I can get it for 19000 I was hoping it would negate the deprecation. I could be competely off base here.

The used SUVs with low miles seem to be in this price range or slightly more expensive. However I'm sure if I waited long enough I could get a deal on something.

I'd like a warranty and don't want to visit a mechanic for a while....

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,194,948 times
You won't negate the depreciation on the Journey even with that level of discount-when they knock off that kind of money is knocks it off the used price too. I bought a new Aztek at $10k off sticker and when I went to refinance I found I was stil underwater... no biggie, I didn't buy it for the resale value and kept it past payoff and warranty.
If you buy a new car you should buy it with the idea that you'll keep it until the wheels fall off. Hopefully that'll be well past the payments and warranty. It does give you the opportunity to maintain it and drive it in an adult manner and modern cars should be durable when treated as such, even Dodges

Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Journey is more of a crossover isn't it? I know you can get the Ford Escape for under 20k. Why dose it have to be new? If you don't drive much why but a new car and take that huge hit on depreciation?
I agree. We got a 2014 SE 4wd for under $23k, the S Fwd has been on sale for as little as $18k.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,061,284 times
i'd recommend checking other finance outlets (ie local credit unions, etc) to truly see what the best rate is out there. My last 2 purchases have been used (1-2 yr old cars, one being a honda certified crv) and were financed at my CU in the 2's for % rate on both. So keeping manufacturer finance out of the equation (i'd usually take a discount and finance elsewhere rather then give up discount for a slightly lower rate they may offer on new), it's quite possible to find a similar rate for new as for late model used.
I tend to believe one should find the best overall car they can for their situation and pursue that option, rather then let a rate dictate the purchase and potentially "settle" for something that wasnt top of the list.
Look at depreciation (if resale is a concern), reliability & warranty, along with the mentioned safety and economy as needed.
I've only rented a journey once so cant fully comment on any pros or cons compared to the rav4s, crvs, and escapes of the world (not to mention small subies & mazdas among others); i'll defer to actual owners on that part. My opinion is that it was a step below the rest of the group, but again that could be one of the reasons it tends to be offered at a lower price then the others in a true apples to apples comparison.

my .02 only of course

Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
You won't negate the depreciation on the Journey even with that level of discount-when they knock off that kind of money is knocks it off the used price too. I bought a new Aztek at $10k off sticker and when I went to refinance I found I was stil underwater... no biggie, I didn't buy it for the resale value and kept it past payoff and warranty.
If you buy a new car you should buy it with the idea that you'll keep it until the wheels fall off. Hopefully that'll be well past the payments and warranty. It does give you the opportunity to maintain it and drive it in an adult manner and modern cars should be durable when treated as such, even Dodges
Yes we are buying it and driving till the wheels fall off. This will be replacing our Azteck, which we absolutely love. I hated the way the Azteck looked when we got it but love the drive. It has been such a handy car that it's hard to find something to take its place

Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i'd recommend checking other finance outlets (ie local credit unions, etc) to truly see what the best rate is out there. My last 2 purchases have been used (1-2 yr old cars, one being a honda certified crv) and were financed at my CU in the 2's for % rate on both. So keeping manufacturer finance out of the equation (i'd usually take a discount and finance elsewhere rather then give up discount for a slightly lower rate they may offer on new), it's quite possible to find a similar rate for new as for late model used.
I tend to believe one should find the best overall car they can for their situation and pursue that option, rather then let a rate dictate the purchase and potentially "settle" for something that wasnt top of the list.
Look at depreciation (if resale is a concern), reliability & warranty, along with the mentioned safety and economy as needed.
I've only rented a journey once so cant fully comment on any pros or cons compared to the rav4s, crvs, and escapes of the world (not to mention small subies & mazdas among others); i'll defer to actual owners on that part. My opinion is that it was a step below the rest of the group, but again that could be one of the reasons it tends to be offered at a lower price then the others in a true apples to apples comparison.

my .02 only of course
I appreciate your opinion - the warranty on Dodge vehicles does worry me but I did like how much space it offered over the Rav4 without feeling like a giant Pilot. So far I havent found anything that offered that much space and still drove like a car - but it maybe out there....

Our financing is not dealer or manufactuerer and is in the low high 1.99. The dealership was open to offering us a $500 discount if we financed through me at 4.47 though

Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,929,959 times
Don't think you'll find a better deal than the new Journey 283HP V6 for $20K. You can get a new base Forester 4 cycl with 6 manual for around $20K with a great AWD.

I'd go with the Journey.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,542,082 times
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. You can probably negotiate an 4WD version for under 20K and its one of only three small SUVs that passed the IIHS new small overlap crash test (the Outlander and Subaru Forester being the other). You most definitely can get a FWD one for well under 20K. It also has a 5/60K bumper to bumper and 10/100K power train warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive