Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,789,591 times

Advertisements

I bet those guys with those really bright headlamps and fog lamps loves stopping close behind other cars to blind people with their lights.

I also love my adjustable rear view mirrors right back at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,819,780 times
Agree !!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,710 posts, read 81,578,903 times
It's called "seeing." With an aging population, the inconvenience of the bright lights is a small price to pay for the people in their 70s who have some night blindness running around the roads being able to stay in their lane. Younger people that don't need them may turn them on for no good reason, but next time you are behind some old timer crawling along 5 mph under the speed limit, think about how much slower he would go if he had dimmer lights.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,838,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's called "seeing." With an aging population, the inconvenience of the bright lights is a small price to pay for the people in their 70s who have some night blindness running around the roads being able to stay in their lane. Younger people that don't need them may turn them on for no good reason, but next time you are behind some old timer crawling along 5 mph under the speed limit, think about how much slower he would go if he had dimmer lights.
Buying Sylvania Silverstars is one thing. They are great and increase visibility. But I think the OP was referring to the aftermarket HID kits and bright blue or yellow fog lights which don't help increase visibility for the driver - they only distract other drivers.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 AM

4,629 posts, read 12,326,676 times
I was commuting on Sunday morning at 2 am from Reno, NV to the Bay Area CA, and being over 50 the lights really bothered me, and especially going over Donner with everything being black, and then bright. Some people including trucker will not turn down their brights, and occasional wrecked car with one odd light shinning in your mirror illuminating the inside of my cab.
Personally, I'd like to see more enforcement of this misuse, and action taken to limit lumen output to not blind others.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,283,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I bet those guys with those really bright headlamps and fog lamps loves stopping close behind other cars to blind people with their lights.

I also love my adjustable rear view mirrors right back at them.
It's not something I love but I have blinded a few Miata drivers. I generally try to etch forward a little when I notice my lights shining bright in folks mirrors. This helps cut narrow the lighting down to the rear of the vehicle. But this trick doesn't work on Miatas, there just too small and narrow.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,978,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not true. Bright lights do not make it easier to see, the quality of the light being thrown is more important.

Many of the very high intensity lights provide less contrast and less depth perception. I think the OP was referring to the idiots that buy aftermarket lights not designed for use on public roads.

That old timer crawling along the road? How do you think they became an old timer? By driving slower and thinking instead of being the fastest person on the road, they've managed to stay alive amongst the gotta get ahead of everyone fools who end up piling up into someone else.

An aging population has little to do with the brightness of headlights or fog lights. Less bright lights but allow for better contrast of objects and better depth perception are superior than the brilliant white lights that do little except blind others. Human eyes are adapted to sunlight which is why you see better in sunlight than any artificial light. You aren't reading books when driving, you are looking at objects out in the open, things which are almost always easier to see when light mimics natural light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive