Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times

Advertisements

After 14 years of trusty service, it looks like it may be time to retire the ol 2000 Jeep Cherokee as the primary family daily driver. Too many outstanding repairs of the engine leak/tranny leak et al, plus misc suspension brake component repairs and HVAC repairs have rendered the proposition doable for a project car, but not one for a primary driver anymore. Also have a 9 mo old, so dispatch reliability is a priority these days.

So, looking at the jeep lineup, no replacement for the XJ. I've known this since 2001 though. Year after year, Jeep has told me "you're a de facto fleet vehicle trim level buyer", and our kind makes jeep no money (of course, we USED to be jeep defining demographic, but that's water under the bridge). The boxy 2nd generation liberty was the closest thing out there but is now discontinued. Prefer a new car as I had great success with the cherokee as a new purchase. Don't care about resale value as intend to drive it 14 years.

New Cherokee is a no go. I don't buy first edition vehicles (lemon magnets) and I don't like the complexity of a 8 auto speed tranny wrt 14 year reliability. Furthermore, the styling of the new cherokee is not something I could stomach for 14 years. Grand Cherokee would fit the bill but they want too much money. I don't pay 30-40K for any car as a matter of principle.

So, right now, all the XJ equivalent sized vehicles come with puny no-name 4 cylinder engines. If I'm going to replace an XJ I need at least the same torque or better for my daily driver. So only 6 cylinder versions work. Capping my purchase at $26K.

Right now, looking at Dodge Journey with the V6 or Chevy Equinox V6/GMC Terrain V6. Not totally opposed to Ford, but don't see a V6 option from my cursory (albeit hasty) internet search.

I can't find many samples of the V6 variants of these two vehicles under 26K but they do have some here and there. Figured the internet will be my best friend there.

The only thing I'm hung up in right now is the location of manufacturing. The Journey is assembled in Mexico, the Equinox in Canada. My XJ was assembled in Toledo OH. My other ownership experience was with a Mexican assembled VW my exwife drove. BAD quality. Bubbling paint in 6 years, engine blew the timing chain (TDI engine) and had to be top overhauled (cams, valve guides, the works) at 60K miles. Right now, I'm not confident at all on the proposition of a vehicle assembled in Mexico lasting me 14 years. I can say that of a Ohio/Michigan built vehicle. Don't know about Canada.

What say you?

Keeping this at domestic brands, but if there's equivalents on the imported side (non-first year edition variants) for my price point, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
The class of vehicle the XJ was has turned into the modern small car based CUV class. Your right, most are 4 bangers, have near identical styling, and are more a modern take on station wagons then an truck/SUV.

I wouldn't sweat manufacturing origin from a quality standpoint. The vehicles coming out of Mexican plants these days to major automakers are just as well assembled as the ones made in the US and Canada.

I'd say the modern day equivalent to the XJ is the JK Unlimited. It is the only thing on the market that is anywhere near what the XJ's were, even if it is a Wrangler at heart. A $26K cap won't get you a loaded one, but you should be able to find one.

I do not think I would have any excitement over a Journey, Escape, or Terrain. Last year my wife and shopped for a V6 SUV and settled on a V6 Subaru Outback. Not sure one could be had for $26K with a V6, but I felt it was far superior overall than most of the other CUV's. In large part, I think I appreciated it because it has a true AWD system, so it drives a lot like a RWD SUV, and is not a FWD CUV with a reactionary AWD that "kicks" in when the front wheel spins.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
10 most American-made cars of 2012 - Heritagewest - Heritage Newspapers

Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
ever since Dodge was bought by Fiat the parts backorders have skyrocketed. DH's BFF is a lead tech at the Dodge store, they have resorted to stealing parts off of lot cars to make warranty repairs because there is no availability from Dodge.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
After 14 years of trusty service, it looks like it may be time to retire the ol 2000 Jeep Cherokee as the primary family daily driver. Too many outstanding repairs of the engine leak/tranny leak et al, plus misc suspension brake component repairs and HVAC repairs have rendered the proposition doable for a project car, but not one for a primary driver anymore. Also have a 9 mo old, so dispatch reliability is a priority these days.

So, looking at the jeep lineup, no replacement for the XJ. I've known this since 2001 though. Year after year, Jeep has told me "you're a de facto fleet vehicle trim level buyer", and our kind makes jeep no money (of course, we USED to be jeep defining demographic, but that's water under the bridge). The boxy 2nd generation liberty was the closest thing out there but is now discontinued. Prefer a new car as I had great success with the cherokee as a new purchase. Don't care about resale value as intend to drive it 14 years.

New Cherokee is a no go. I don't buy first edition vehicles (lemon magnets) and I don't like the complexity of a 8 auto speed tranny wrt 14 year reliability. Furthermore, the styling of the new cherokee is not something I could stomach for 14 years. Grand Cherokee would fit the bill but they want too much money. I don't pay 30-40K for any car as a matter of principle.

So, right now, all the XJ equivalent sized vehicles come with puny no-name 4 cylinder engines. If I'm going to replace an XJ I need at least the same torque or better for my daily driver. So only 6 cylinder versions work. Capping my purchase at $26K.

Right now, looking at Dodge Journey with the V6 or Chevy Equinox V6/GMC Terrain V6. Not totally opposed to Ford, but don't see a V6 option from my cursory (albeit hasty) internet search.

I can't find many samples of the V6 variants of these two vehicles under 26K but they do have some here and there. Figured the internet will be my best friend there.

The only thing I'm hung up in right now is the location of manufacturing. The Journey is assembled in Mexico, the Equinox in Canada. My XJ was assembled in Toledo OH. My other ownership experience was with a Mexican assembled VW my exwife drove. BAD quality. Bubbling paint in 6 years, engine blew the timing chain (TDI engine) and had to be top overhauled (cams, valve guides, the works) at 60K miles. Right now, I'm not confident at all on the proposition of a vehicle assembled in Mexico lasting me 14 years. I can say that of a Ohio/Michigan built vehicle. Don't know about Canada.

What say you?

Keeping this at domestic brands, but if there's equivalents on the imported side (non-first year edition variants) for my price point, I'm all ears. Thanks!

You're getting the exact same quality from Canada as you do from the States. They don't build them in Canada because of cheap labour. I can garuntee you that lol They build them in Canada because the Big 3 have been in Canada for the same amount of time as they have been in the States. Litteraly.

My 91 YJ was built in Canada. It's fine. As a matter of fact, ALL Wranglers were built in Canada intill 1992. CJ's were built here from 59-69', if you don't count WW2 production.

We also built the Regal, XTS, Impala, Camaro, Terrain, Flex, Edge, MKX, MKT, Charger, Challenger, 300, Caravan, T&C, Carolla, Matrix, RX350, RX450h, RAV4, RAV4 EV, Civic, CRV, & ZDX.

Honestly. As if Canadian production is going to be of any lesser quality.

1st world country here. Remember?

lol

Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 PM

486 posts, read 832,491 times
Journey has bad reliability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive