Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

SUVs are more popular because Americans gotten bigger and fatter over the years and a wagon just won't fit anymore.

SUVs are nothing more than raised bigger wagons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
SUVs are more popular because Americans gotten bigger and fatter over the years and a wagon just won't fit anymore.

SUVs are nothing more than raised bigger wagons.
Yea, well, what about us slim people?

Off topic:

Even shirts in most stores have gotten bigger. I pay 15 dollars extra for tailoring , and now the fat ****s want me to pay for their Obama care? If I was going to pay for other people's health care, I would have moved to Japan

Old 03-18-2014, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
It was my impression that the Minivan replaced the station wagon, and the SUV replaced the suburban light truck. The Minivan, with cab over engine, provided more efficient cargo/passenger space than the station wagon.

However, personally, I consider the station wagon to be a more visually appealing vehicle.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
We had a Pontiac Grand Safari that came in a box but when you pulled the wood off the sides, there was bare metal so we covered it all up with shag carpeting, people commented on how ugly it was.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
To be honest, crossovers are becoming more and more wagon-like and less and less SUV-like with each generation.

Wagons became un-cool years ago as being the epitome of the soccer-mom mobile. This image problem caused people who did not want to be so un-cool to find other transportation. Originally I think that choice was the minivan, but it quickly became un-cool too for the same reason.

In the 90's, along came "tough" truck like SUV's. Blazers were cool. Explorers. People flocked to them.

Over time, the desire for better driving SUV's, better fuel economy, etc, has seen the industry move more towards crossovers. Really, this is just a move back towards more car based, station wagon-like vehicles.

I am not sure a move away from crossovers to what we take as normal wagons will happen. Instead I think we will continue to see crossovers develop to be more fuel efficient and meet buyer expectations.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
We don't find wagons ugly, We simply find SUVs and minivans to be more practical/useful. A standard car with a little more carrying capacity isn't as useful as a taller car with a larger carrying capacity. Pretty simple, actually. Even if we don't need all that capacity all the time, when we do need it, it's nice to already have it. And it's much easier to own it already than to try to rent it for the times you need it.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I know they prefer SUVs due to ride height and what not, but why are wagons considered ugly? Wagons offer the utility of an SUV, and trades off ride height for mpg.
I don't consider them ugly, but then again my tastes in automobiles aren't inline with most Americans. My mother used to have a BMW 528 sport wagon, handled great with added utility. We actually were looking at the Acura TSX sport wagon last year as a car for my wife to commute with, as it got much better gas mileage than her current SUV, but in the end she just couldn't get on board with having a wimpy 4 banger for an engine, and I didn't like that either. If they would offer the V6 I think they would sell a lot better, but that engine is only available in the sedan, which makes absolutely no sense.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Some of the current wagons have as much storage space as an SUV. Anyways, Americans are still buying wagons...they have been rebranded as the Crossover and then bloated a little bit.

I really enjoy wagons and wish there were more to chose from. I enjoyed my 04 Ford Focus Wagon and now have a VW Jetta diesel wagon...both manuals.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I know they prefer SUVs due to ride height and what not, but why are wagons considered ugly?
It's mainly because when most people hear "station wagon" they picture something like this:

Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's mainly because when most people hear "station wagon" they picture something like this:
I think of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...olony_Park.jpg

I loved the one we had, but today's SUVs and Minivans do get better gas mileage than either of these did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive