Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 PM

746 posts, read 866,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
If you live in a city where you can't drive, that's one thing. And if the guy cannot drive for medical reasons, that's another But most women aren't going to want a guy with no vehicle as it means that they ( the women) have to pick up his slack. They are going to have to drive him places and spend their money on cabs and the subway to go to his place and get home from there.

Not certain where you live, but most of the place where I have women aren't flocking to men who don't have a dependable means of transport.
But what if there's transit? And I wouldn't expect someone who has panic attacks behind the wheel to drive. Good thing Google started self driving cars, now other companies are following suit. So we can get rid of those kind of problems. Technology is going to have to be our protectors isn't it? It's going to happen anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Easy.
Move to the biggest city in whatever state you live in & attend an urban public college there. Many college students who go to urban campuses don't have cars & many urban campuses don't even allow the students to bring cars. You do not need a car to have a girlfriend. I repeat. You do not need a car to have a girl friend. Live downtown in a city & you'll meet plenty of others who don't have a car. One of my friends just sold their car, because it was getting too expensive to park & maintain. Go by bus, bike, walk, train etc. I'm a graduate student & there are many other graduate students here (some in their 30's) who don't have a car here. I even have a professor from India & another professor from Spain & neither one of them has a car.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Forgot to mention, going car less would be better in the most urban setting possible. Women don't like men without cars in cities like Houston, etc.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
I dont understand how someone, presumably who was born in the 90s, or 80s, would be afraid of something that they were practically born into.

Driving is a privilege that has to be earned. A privilege that allows you to get anywhere you want anytime you want with no restrictions...

Im really sorry about your condition, really I am... But I think if you want to be able to do things like what I mentioned in the previous sentence, you need to man up and drive a car.

Cars probably wont drive themselves in 2020. Maybe there will be self driving cars, but they wont be able to adapt unless ALL cars are self driving, and the roads are updated to connect with cars and figure out a communication for traffic/ direction.

Updating our roads/highways in the USA, will amount to be the most expensive renovation ever in world history.

What happens when technology fails? what happens when every car in the world that is connected to this "world driver hub" fails...

thats why we have manual driven cars... because this kind of failure cant happen.

Technology is what will kill us.. What happens when we get hit with a solar sun ray and then you cant get moeny out of the ATM?? Thank technology for integrating itself into every bit of earth we know.

What happens when the world police start controlling our cars? So much of this stuff is illegal and it goes on everyday..

How would you feel if you had NO privacy at all..

I think your problem is bigger than you think.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I dont understand how someone, presumably who was born in the 90s, or 80s, would be afraid of something that they were practically born into.

Driving is a privilege that has to be earned. A privilege that allows you to get anywhere you want anytime you want with no restrictions...

Im really sorry about your condition, really I am... But I think if you want to be able to do things like what I mentioned in the previous sentence, you need to man up and drive a car.
Don't listen to this guy. "Man up and drive a car"?!! Are you serious?!

Man up and do whatever you want in whatever fashion you see fit. Don't let anyone like this man try to tell you what to do.

Quote:
What happens when technology fails? what happens when every car in the world that is connected to this "world driver hub" fails...

thats why we have manual driven cars... because this kind of failure cant happen.

Technology is what will kill us.. What happens when we get hit with a solar sun ray and then you cant get moeny out of the ATM?? Thank technology for integrating itself into every bit of earth we know.
Do you realize that a car is a technological advance?!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Don't listen to this guy. "Man up and drive a car"?!! Are you serious?!

Man up and do whatever you want in whatever fashion you see fit. Don't let anyone like this man try to tell you what to do.

Do you realize that a car is a technological advance?!

Yes, I am serious. How else would you expect to go anywhere any time you want? Besides calling a taxi?

Is there a magic carpet service or something I dont know about? You gonna ride your bike 60 miles to get to your destination?

There is a difference in technologies... A car is a product of the 19th century.. The first cars use the SAME technology as your Honda Accord does...internal combustion.

GPS systems and guidance navigation and traffic controllers, this is fairly new civilian technology.

Youre twisting my previous statements. He doesnt NEED to have a car. If he lives in the right cities he'll never need a car.

Where I live and have held previous employment, I needed a car. My commute has been as long as 130 miles each day. Ive gone without a car and its really hard having JUST a bicycle. Especially in the Winter and when its raining.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:30 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Why would you not want the freedom that comes from owning an automobile? Life would just suck if you had to sit around and wait on a bus, or a taxi or a train. I'll take freedom over being a rat trapped in a maze. Even when we lived in Barrow, Alaska I bought an old beater truck with a heater. Not really a lot of places to drive, maybe 12 miles total of road. But just being able to drive out to the Point Barrow and see polar bears or driving out the gaswell road or out the road to fresh water lake, it's was liberating.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
First thing, take the responses you get here with a big pinch of salt, because you're getting random responses from people who may not have any empathy or understanding at all of your situation. And some obviously don't have enough life experience to understand that what they are posting is complete nonsense.

Of course one can have a full life, be successful, and have a relationship without driving. Obviously it is easier to do in some places than others, but everywhere I've lived... and I've lived all over the country... there are people who don't drive, for one reason or another. Some by choice, some because of circumstance, some due to physical limitations, but all capable of managing to have a great life without driving.

As a rule large urban centers are the easiest to get around by public transportation, and in the top few, like NY and Chicago and San Francisco, it can actually be a major hassle to own a car and to drive. But large cities with good public transportation tend to be liberal, which you said you don't want... but then again, who knows what you mean by that. Some details would be helpful to forming recommendations.

Meanwhile, I suggest you Google "US Cities Best Public Transportation" and do some digging on your own. You may be surprised at some of the suggestions, like... Savannah, Georgia.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 AM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
Pick the college that works best for you. You will be OK without a car at pretty much any/every college in the US. It is typical to live on campus for the first year at least, and most schools do not have parking available for first year students, or only have parking at remote lots. The vast majority and travel around and near campus is by foot, bike or transit. By the time you move off campus and "need" a car, you should have a network of friends with cars who can help you out. If you pick a school that meets you interests an ideals, the rest will fall into place.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Having to live where you don't need a car is IMO having “parochial "view of the place you want to land. Find a place you like and think you would fit into and then submit to whatever the transportation demands of the area are. If there is some underlying reason you cannot or will not ever drive or own a car then I wouldn’t be throwing a dart at the map to find a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive