Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Watched an old episode of Wheeler Dealer in which they worked on a Porsche/VW 914. Use to have a neighbor who had this back in the 1980s. I actually liked the look of the car. The owner said he loved how it handled the road on winding country roads. I know Toyota had an affordable mid-engine car in the MR2. GM had a chance to make a good affordable mid-engine car but cut corners too much making it an unsafe fire trap.

Do you think an affordable mid-engine car like the 914 and MR2 could be built today considering modern crash safety standards and current and future CAFE fuel economy standards? VW currently owns Porsche which produces two mid-engine sports coupes. Subaru is another boxer engine brand. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Watched an old episode of Wheeler Dealer in which they worked on a Porsche/VW 914. Use to have a neighbor who had this back in the 1980s. I actually liked the look of the car. The owner said he loved how it handled the road on winding country roads. I know Toyota had an affordable mid-engine car in the MR2. GM had a chance to make a good affordable mid-engine car but cut corners too much making it an unsafe fire trap.

Do you think an affordable mid-engine car like the 914 and MR2 could be built today considering modern crash safety standards and current and future CAFE fuel economy standards? VW currently owns Porsche which produces two mid-engine sports coupes. Subaru is another boxer engine brand. What do you think?
Do you just sit around and try to think of ways to bash GM? (oh sorry, you do)

Comparing a 914 to a MR2 to a Fiero is really odd, too. 914's rusted at about the same rate as a Vega or Pinto did.

BTW, the later years Fiero GT was actually quite a decent vehicle and didn't have the issue that the early 4 cylinders did.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Do you just sit around and try to think of ways to bash GM? (oh sorry, you do)

Comparing a 914 to a MR2 to a Fiero is really odd, too. 914's rusted at about the same rate as a Vega or Pinto did.

BTW, the later years Fiero GT was actually quite a decent vehicle and didn't have the issue that the early 4 cylinders did.
Fiero early models were prone to fires. Many makes in the 70s rusted badly; American, Japanese, German, and Italian makes were prone to rust.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
The Fiero out sold the MR2 by more than 2 to 1, and had 122 fires out of 370,000 units that mainly were caused by the 1984 model year only. It is now a cult classic. They also handled every bit as well as the MR2. Great way to spread more mis-information. Maybe you could bring up Pinto fires, or Jeep rollovers next. Show us a picture of your Ralph Nader for President bumper sticker.

Pontiac Fiero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The Fiero out sold the MR2 by more than 2 to 1, and had 122 fires out of 370,000 units that mainly were caused by the 1984 model year only. It is now a cult classic. They also handled every bit as well as the MR2. Great way to spread more mis-information. Maybe you could bring up Pinto fires, or Jeep rollovers next. Show us a picture of your Ralph Nader for President bumper sticker.

Pontiac Fiero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I made this topic about affordable mid-engine cars. I think the Fiero could have been a great car for GM but they launched a defective car with a weak thirsty engine and second hand suspension parts.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM

414 posts, read 931,270 times
I've previously owned an '87 Fiero GT with the 2.8L V6 as well as a '93 MR2 with a 2.2L 4 cylinder (non-turbo model). Both were rated at 135 HP as I recall.

IMHO, the MR2 was the better of the 2 cars in terms of performance, handling, reliability, and resale value. I also enjoyed the MR2 better since it was a 5 spd stick while the Fiero was auto trans. (Didn't care for the M/T in the Fiero when I test drove it). It was also much better equipped and frankly looked sleeker than the Fiero.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a resurgence of an affordable mid-engine sportscar! Both cars did handle well and nothing beats this type of car hugging corners and in the twisties!

If the Scion or BRZ was a mid engine, I probably would have bought it instead of the Mazda MX-5 I currently have.

Hell, if Toyota brings back that exotic body style that the 91-95 MR2 had, I'll be placing a pre-order!!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:23 AM

I should have added that GM dropped the old Citation suspension for '88 and used Lotus designed/inspired suspension parts instead. Just as they really nailed it - the bean counters killed it off. It could have evolved into a real performance car with a few more years of development.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Also, the 914 and MR2 were designed to be sold to a different market segment than the Fiero, which was a small commuter car, not a sports car.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:28 AM

231 posts, read 382,079 times
While you have to build it yourself, Factory Five Racing has their mid-engined 818 powered by a Subaru EJ series engine. It can be made street legal.

Aside from the Porsche offerings(Boxster/Caymen), I don't think most car companies need to fill a M/R slot.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Can a mid engine be made relatively cheaply? Yes. Oversimplifying it it's really just taking a front wheel drive car and putting the body out in front of the engine. I think it can be done relatively cheap. And let's face it you can make it look exotic. He'll go buy Ferrari's old 308 or Testarossa molds and go to town on assembly line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive