Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:55 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You don't really want to drive that fast, but imagine the prestige of having a 120-mph vanity plate, to show everybody how important it is for you to get somewhere.
Lol. That made my day man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Again, wrong, and another sign of blaming others rather than accepting responsibility for your own actions.

Should people driving lower than the speed limit drive in the right lane, and those driving in the left lane driving the speed limit and no less? Absolutely.

However, nothing anyone else does justifies you making dangerous choices when driving. This is not rocket science; unless someone is in your car with you, holding your hands and feet somehow so that you are physically forced to weave in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed, you and you alone are responsible for that behavior. There is shame in saying, "That other person was driving too slow and he made me drive recklessly!" That is shameful because it is a child's justification, and we don't give children driver's licenses for a reason.

If everyone driving took responsibility for their own actions, and if everyone driving obeyed the traffic laws that they are taught before getting their license, then it might be feasible to have no speed limit on the highways. As it is, almost no one does, especially those who want to justify breaking the law, and so it isn't.
As far as taking responsibility is for your own actions is concerned, you're about as far from it as possible. There is a reason for why the left lane is considered a passing lane in many states and countries. What you are saying to the world is "I'm lazy and inconsiderate so I hold up traffic even though I could move one lane over to the slower lane where I belong and then I'll place blame on others who I'm forcing to moving around me". This is a sickening mentality and a major reason for people like you are making everyday driving difficult for others. Thank you for drastically increasing the risk of an accident for yourself and others around you. Selfish people like yourself are the reason this country is flushing down the toilet.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Maybe it could be done during certain hours, but I don't think it would be appropriate in all places all the time. For example, I5 from LA to SF can be quite busy at times like Friday and Sunday. Weekly nights from 11 pm to 4 am it could be lifted. Each state could be allowed to administer.

Fast lane? No one has the right to impede traffic in the number 1 lane as long as they're passing. It is the passing lane for a reason. However, if I'm running at 80, and somebody comes up on me at 95 while I'm passing I refuse to interrupt my progression for his. No one should have to slow down to move over to allow another to break the law. Even if I'm breaking the law, but going with the flow of traffic.

I've always wished those who purposely impede traffic by going slower than the flow of traffic be ticketed and fined heavily.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Again, wrong, and another sign of blaming others rather than accepting responsibility for your own actions.

Should people driving lower than the speed limit drive in the right lane, and those driving in the left lane driving the speed limit and no less? Absolutely.

However, nothing anyone else does justifies you making dangerous choices when driving. This is not rocket science; unless someone is in your car with you, holding your hands and feet somehow so that you are physically forced to weave in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed, you and you alone are responsible for that behavior. There is shame in saying, "That other person was driving too slow and he made me drive recklessly!" That is shameful because it is a child's justification, and we don't give children driver's licenses for a reason.

If everyone driving took responsibility for their own actions, and if everyone driving obeyed the traffic laws that they are taught before getting their license, then it might be feasible to have no speed limit on the highways. As it is, almost no one does, especially those who want to justify breaking the law, and so it isn't.
You are wrong, the number 1 lane should never be used to impede traffic. if it is the will of the people to exceed the speed limit the majority rules, and the person impeding traffic is wrong.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Maybe it could be done during certain hours, but I don't think it would be appropriate in all places all the time. For example, I5 from LA to SF can be quite busy at times like Friday and Sunday. Weekly nights from 11 pm to 4 am it could be lifted. Each state could be allowed to administer.

Fast lane? No one has the right to impede traffic in the number 1 lane as long as they're passing. It is the passing lane for a reason. However, if I'm running at 80, and somebody comes up on me at 95 while I'm passing I refuse to interrupt my progression for his. No one should have to slow down to move over to allow another to break the law. Even if I'm breaking the law, but going with the flow of traffic.

I've always wished those who purposely impede traffic by going slower than the flow of traffic be ticketed and fined heavily.
This is absolutely correct as long as once you are done passing, you let the vehicle going 95 pass you. This is generally how the law in many states works regardless of what the legal limit is. Just because someone is going 80mph with traffic does not mean they get to decide the upper limit for driving beyond the speed limit. Now of course if you're moving 80mph in dense traffic and you can't go any faster because there is another vehicle in front of you (we're talking car lengths here not bus lengths) then you shouldn't have to move.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
You are wrong, the number 1 lane should never be used to impede traffic. if it is the will of the people to exceed the speed limit the majority rules, and the person impeding traffic is wrong.
You do get that the law applies to everyone equally, right?

As it happens, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing traffic on the right, but I am far more worried about people behind the wheel of multi-thousand pound vehicles who think that the law doesn't apply to them and that if they and their friends choose to break it, that their preferences automatically become the new law by fiat.

Like I said, a childish response, combining "But, Mom, everyone does it" with "But the universe revolves around me and my whims are law!". A more adult response would be, "Yes, I acknowledge that I am making a conscious choice to break the law, and I accept full responsibility for the consequences of that choice and blame no one else for my actions."

But I'm not holding my breath on ever hearing that one from some on here.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You do get that the law applies to everyone equally, right?

As it happens, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing traffic on the right, but I am far more worried about people behind the wheel of multi-thousand pound vehicles who think that the law doesn't apply to them and that if they and their friends choose to break it, that their preferences automatically become the new law by fiat.

Like I said, a childish response, combining "But, Mom, everyone does it" with "But the universe revolves around me and my whims are law!". A more adult response would be, "Yes, I acknowledge that I am making a conscious choice to break the law, and I accept full responsibility for the consequences of that choice and blame no one else for my actions."

But I'm not holding my breath on ever hearing that one from some on here.
That's actually what quite a few of us on these forums believe. I do a nice solid 80mph during commute times when traffic allows. If I get popped for going 80mph by CHP, then I get a ticket that I deserved and we'll call it a day. The point is that the police can enforce these limits and you shouldn't.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
I see this a lot on I-17 here in Arizona going up steep mountain grades. Everyone is in the left hand lane trying to pass a semi or RV that is doing his best just to go 50mph up a 6% grade. We all end up having to slow down to pass the truck but there's always the one rude, impatient a-hole tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic as if he/she alone is allowed to put everyones lives at risk.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:18 PM

255 posts, read 660,087 times
No way. Maybe in select very rural areas. As someone who has always "lusted" after an American Autobahn, as I grow older I realize that's just not a good idea.

Not every car can handle speeds of 100mph, and if speed limits were lifted, people would try to push their cars to keep up with the speed of traffic.

Not every person can handle their car at speeds of 100mph. They might have a new Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Mustang whatever that is easily capable of speeds well above triple digits. But that doesn't mean the driver is capable of handling emergency maneuvers at that speed if one were to arise.

I wouldn't be opposed to more 80-85 mph speed limits on open interstates, but I don't think they should go any higher than that.

I am a self proclaimed speed freak, but I have also always been well refrained on the streets (for the most part). If you really need to go balls out and push your car, that's why we have race tracks.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
For a while, Montana had no speed limits, just "Reasonable and Prudent" for the conditions.

There is a reason for speed limits, the protection of the general population from those that just want the adreneline rush of speed.

Reasonable and prudent is not the same as no speed limit.

Are you telling me driving 70 when the speed limit was 55 was dangerous, but driving 70 in a 75 zone is now safe on the very same road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive