Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 AM

17,340 posts, read 22,081,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I was once pulled over for tint when I had 20 percent. By the time the cop walked up to my car, both windows were down.

When he asked for me to roll it up so he can use his light meter, I asked for his warrant. I advised he had no right to enter my truck, and the tint is on the inside, and that a warrant would be needed to access it. The captain came out, I gave him the same speech. I nailed them. They had nothing. They had no proof, and they can't get a warrant on an infraction.

I encourage all to learn the laws of their state! It can be fun sometimes when you put a cop in their place.

And for the OP, any percentage will be a reduction on visible light transmittance. It will be worse at night time.

My advise, move outta NJ! That state does not have your best interest!

Great story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=71317
Scroll down to the forum......similar test with pics but found two identical BMW's had no temp difference despite different colors/color interiors.

The biggest issue is how much glass a car has, the glass lets the heat in and traps it. A hatchback with a large rear window would let in more light/heat than say a small pickup truck. So while light colored car might not generate the high temps, if it was a hatchback type and you compared it to a black pickup the results would be that the black truck would be cooler......voiding the whole theory!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,898,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I was once pulled over for tint when I had 20 percent. By the time the cop walked up to my car, both windows were down.

When he asked for me to roll it up so he can use his light meter, I asked for his warrant. I advised he had no right to enter my truck, and the tint is on the inside, and that a warrant would be needed to access it. The captain came out, I gave him the same speech. I nailed them. They had nothing. They had no proof, and they can't get a warrant on an infraction.

I encourage all to learn the laws of their state! It can be fun sometimes when you put a cop in their place.

And for the OP, any percentage will be a reduction on visible light transmittance. It will be worse at night time.

My advise, move outta NJ! That state does not have your best interest!

lol. not sure if I have the ballz to do that. my lively hood depends on a clean record (gaming license).

Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
All window tints reduce your ability to see though the glass. There is no such thing as a tint that does not reduce visibility as we're using the word.

Correct, but to be fair in some cases tinted glass increases visibility in sunny conditions as well!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
lol. not sure if I have the ballz to do that. my lively hood depends on a clean record (gaming license).
I would tread lightly to unless I know the laws well enough the site them to an officer's face.

I've been detained quite a few times, once for a hour on the side of the road, over a DUI checkpoint. it can be nerve racking but its fun. My wife doesn't think so though lol

Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,701 times
There still seems to be some confusion about how heat transmits.

REMEMBER: Infra-Red IS Heat, visible light is just what you see with, and is irrelevant to heat discussions. It only applies when your trying to block sight, (not the subject of this topic).

RE: Visibility vs Heat reflection:
Visible light will be reduced by the quantity the tint reflects (back to the sky), the visible portion of the spectrum.
Heat will be reduced by the quantity the tint reflects the IR portion of the spectrum.
Then are not necessarily linked! IE: some work on visible and IR, some on visible only, (They all work well in the UV).

and
RE: Color of car, exterior:
Something like 50-80% of the heat entering the cabin comes through the front windshield (because it's typically larger than the side windows, and sloped (shows more area to the sun). That's why, if you have a heat concern, you get such massive results in providing a 'glass treatment" film that is minimal (within legal limits), visible tint, but has maximum IR tint.
However, a good portion of the rest of the heat will come as solar absorption by the roof, and that will depend on it's color.
Since car ceiling/roof systems pretty much have no insulation inside (the headliner), heat absorbed by the metal roof has only a few places to go: Some will partially re-radiate back to the sky, some will be lost via conduction to the outside air, and the rest will be transmitted to the cabin air via conduction and convection.
Therefore, the amount transmitted to the inside will definitely be a function of the roof color. You can check this by walking down a parking lot during a sunny day and put your palm on white vs black trunks.

RE: Color of car, interior:
The interior (seats and wheel), can accumulate heat three ways.
1) Absorption of direct IR solar radiation, (after whatever attenuation happens because of the factory glass, plus any tinting, at what ever spectrum of absorption. This can be a big amount or small, DEPENDING ON THE COLOR.
2) Conduction (via cabin air), from the air heated by the car's exterior, as mentioned earlier.
3) Direct Radiation from the car's exterior, heated as mentioned earlier.

If you have IR attenuating tint, then what IR (heat) that makes it to the inside will be so little, that the IR component should be pretty small, making the color of the interior a small factor of how hot the interior fabric gets.
If you don't have IR tint, then the IR will be a huge component, and is the reason why many people carry washcloths and dishtowels to cover the wheel and set. (I sure did before I tinted mine!)
Also, this can be proved by a recent factory option offered by BMW: IR reflective components to convertible interiors. Leave the top down and still jump in and drive off without risk of Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive