Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Left lane should be used for passing?
Absolutely. 70 75.27%
No 23 24.73%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:57 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,506,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post

I don't think you understood what I was saying. The speed limit on Maine's interstates is either 65 or 75, unless you're in a city. Someone going 60 is not breaking the speed limit by passing cars going 55; they also are not breaking the keep right law, even though some people think nobody should have the right to pass unless they want to go 85 or 90.
Oh yes absolutely - in that case they should certainly drive in right lane. I mean everyone should drive in right lane and move to left to pass. Unfortunately those who advocate keep right except to pass drive in left lane and don't move over (I know some at my office).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
BREAK, your spelling kinda changes the whole outlook, it was funny i had to read couple times

Sorry - you know now my car's brakes are giving me hard time these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,376 times
Leave it as is. Passing on the right can be more dangerous than passing on the left. If you are driving in the left most lane with a slower vehicle in front of you, its wise to for the vehicle to move to the right. If you suddenly change lanes and pass on the right, the driver in front may realize you want to pass and move to the right at the same time you do. Bang!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
No, because if I am doing the speed limit, by definition I can't also be a slowpoke. And all my examples have been that I am driving the speed limit, and even so, I recognize that some people will still want to pass me, but I am not going to assist them by pulling onto the shoulder, the practice (in Texas) that I oppose whether allowed by the law or not.

And you are nutz if you think that passing to the right of a vehicle is as safe (for either driver) as passing to the left, especially if, as is allowed by the law in Texas, it is permissible for the passing vehicle to pull onto the shoulder to pass.
A person going the speed limit CAN be a slowpoke. It just depends on how you define slowpoke.

I've been passing on the right, when necessary, for 30 years. It's never been dangerous. Of course, I don't pass using the shoulder, although, I have seen people in Maryland do it. The only time I ever had to use the shoulder, in that way, was to avoid an accident.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Lets see, those who want to break the law (speeding) are complaining about others breaking the law (driving in the left lane).

Smart, real smart.

Sounds like the people who steal from others complaining when someone steals from them.
It's possible to speed safely. In some instances it's the more prudent thing to do. It's never possible to create bottlenecks and unpredictable traffic patterns at high speeds, whether anyone is speeding or not. See the difference?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's possible to speed safely. In some instances it's the more prudent thing to do. It's never possible to create bottlenecks and unpredictable traffic patterns at high speeds, whether anyone is speeding or not. See the difference?
Of course, it is. Just think about it - high speed very often includes weaving in and out of traffic even if everyone else is speeding but not speeding enough for the speed addict (I've seen it often enough), and that is an unpredictable traffic pattern in and of itself. Also, if you're speeding, you're operating outside the traffic laws that are designed in part to create predictability.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A person going the speed limit CAN be a slowpoke. It just depends on how you define slowpoke.

I've been passing on the right, when necessary, for 30 years. It's never been dangerous. Of course, I don't pass using the shoulder, although, I have seen people in Maryland do it. The only time I ever had to use the shoulder, in that way, was to avoid an accident.
Not legally, they can't. Only by the definition of someone who just wants to break the speed limit.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Only speeders are breaking the law. It may say slower traffic but that doesnt mean those in the left lane have carte blanche to do whatever speed they want. You still have to obey the posted speed limit regardless of what lane youre in.

Im guessing this thread is because the OP had to slow down for someone recently and it made him mad?
If you are corking traffic at 55 in a 65 or whatever in the left the CHP can ticket you, especially if you are pulling a trailer that shouldn't be out there unless it's a two laner with heavy traffic. Speeders and corkers are both breaking the law.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,497,102 times
In Co it was much easier to do than here in So Cal where there is no extra space to pull to right, at times.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Of course, it is.
No, it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Just think about it - high speed very often includes weaving in and out of traffic even if everyone else is speeding but not speeding enough for the speed addict (I've seen it often enough), and that is an unpredictable traffic pattern in and of itself. Also, if you're speeding, you're operating outside the traffic laws that are designed in part to create predictability.
Yes, the person weaving is contributing to the problem, whether he's speeding or not. As are the people who do not yield to those wanting to pass. And it is never safe to do so at high speeds. Do you get it yet, or do we have to go through this yet again?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,357 times
Nothing irrates me more on the road than people's passive-aggressive approach to the left lane. People literally take the lane, moving at 60 mph, knowing that people are trying to pass them. What makes matters worse is that when some A@%hole decides to do so, it could back up traffic for miles behind them.

What frickin' gives? All the other places I've lived, the police / state troopers would quickly give those types of people tickets.

(And on another driving note: I've never lived in an area, including New York, where people won't make room for people trying to merge into highway traffic. Drivers in this area literally fight with on-ramp traffic, and don't change lanes to make space, even if there are no other cars in the vicinity. It's like each driver has a "don't tread on me" flag attached the back of their cars and don't believe in courtesy driving. Obnoxious!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive