Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 12,311,882 times

Advertisements

Jeep is the standard by which all others are measured for offroad. Jeeps and Suburu's are everywhere here in snow country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 AM

865 posts, read 2,164,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I completely agree about the tire. I currently drive a Jetta and with the right tires, I had no problems in the snow, but the way a truck handles is completely different. That's why I was asking.
I have driven many vehicles in the snow.

As far as handling and maneuverability, my experience has been
1) AWD (with snow tires) - best
2) FWD (with snow tires)
3) 4x4 part time (with snow tires)

Part time 4x4 systems work great for off road, or going through super deep snow ... but when you're on ice or hard packed snow they tend to want to do their own thing.

AWD and FWD are always predictable. Yes - if there's 3' of snow, FWD may not be the best, but for running on the highway or even 30,40 mph on city streets, FWD with snow tires is, in my opinion, better than 4x4 in the same scenario.

I currently have a 4x4 (part time) and fWD car - both on snow tires. I'll take the car unless we're going to get a foot or more of snow. Then the ground clearance of the lifted Jeep comes in handy.

Weight distributions makes 4 wheel drive almost a necessity. My Cherokee is front heavy and can't move in 2WD in the snow unless I put a bunch of weight in the back. Wranglers, which have a rear bias, are much better in the snow in 2WD.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,163,119 times
Best vehicle I have ever had in the snow...and this is just from my experience....was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Never had a problem with it in CO.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,832,120 times
As a Ford fan, the best has been a 3/4 chevrolet pickup and tie or very close second was a ford expedition.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,354,277 times
Again hard to Beat a Mid 90's to early 00's Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Snow wheeling

Stock XJ Vs. 38 inch XJ Snow Wheeling (Explicit lyrics) - YouTube

Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 PM

850 posts, read 1,027,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Jeep is the standard by which all others are measured for offroad. Jeeps and Suburu's are everywhere here in snow country.
Step aside folks, I got this one:

Okay, we got the Jeep as the baseline - Land Rover is better, Land Cruiser is better, G-Wagen is better, Unimog say no more.

I am assuming there is no such thing as a full time front wheel drive / selectable rear wheel drive vehicle?
(no, driving a part time 4WD backwards doesn't count) Would that be the ultimate 2 axle (non-track laying) snow vehicle? (I am assuming the reason this isn't currently made is because of the reduced strength/durability of the steering axle)

Assuming equal snow tires, could certain stock (except for tires) sedans perform better than stock 4wd trucks with light rears?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
I drive an Audi A4 with AWD and it is amazing in the snow. I ski and have plowed snow up over my hood with no problem. Also, my car handles well and brakes well when it isn't snowing and is much better at everything than some primitive truck or SUV. Those things are so outdated. If you have to drive one put weight over the back wheels and good tires. It helps not only with traction, but stability. Pickups are total junk around corners and are dangerous in the rain, so you have to drive them slow. Don't be fooled by all the silly commercials showing them in some slalom course. What a joke. Believe me if you try to drive them like a good car, you are going to end up in a ditch or worse.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,840,620 times
Man, people exaggerate. Busting though 3 ft of snow my ass.... plowed snow up over my hood etc.

Unless it's the driest of dry champagne powder, you're stuck as soon as your car/tuck high centers. Sure you might be able to carry momentum through a short drift, but you're not going anywhere when there's 3ft of snow on the road.

On a plowed road with 2-8" of snow, a 50/50 torque split AWD system (Audi/Subaru) will rule the day (with snow tires of course). Low center of gravity/lighter weight/better weight distribution and predictable handling, along with the ability to power on oversteer = rally mobile in the snow.

Trucks are too heavy with poor weight distribution and high center of gravity to go really fast on packed snow. But obviously there is a window of superiority in deep snow (8-12") or if you have a plow on the front.

Our 04' Forester XT with 5sp manual tranny and studded snow tires is a monster in the snow *IF* you know how to drive. Our giant 4x4 diesel truck is good for deep snow, but it gets obscene amounts of axle hop (anytime the wheels start spinning) due to massive amounts of torque. It will also push like a pig in corners unless you can coax the back out first with a Scandinavian flick (or just put it in 4x2).

FWD sucks in the snow when it comes to performance driving - total inability to power on oversteer and they are usually front heavy. RWD is awesome, but it has a lot of limitations in stop start on hills. Once you get going though you can steer with the throttle all day long.

Last edited by Colorado^; 05-30-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 03:54 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,565,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I know there are a lot of threads concerning trucks and such, so here is another one. I want my next vehicle to have either AWD or 4WD due to snow and light off roading to go camping and such. I've heard of issues with trucks and snow due to how light the bed is.

Has anybody had any issues with this? I know I do see a lot of 4x4 trucks out here in Colorado, but I've been unsure. Thoughts?
Pickups are not that great in the winter unless they are weighted perfect and have good tires. I bet I went around 3 pickups this winter (we had a terrible winter in Minnesota) that couldn't get up hills and my little Nissan Rogue cruised right up them no problem.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM

635 posts, read 786,103 times
Subaru's are big sellers where it snows a lot. We have gone around many trucks (big mean looking 4x4 trucks with aggressive tires) that are stuck on a paved hill and kept going. Winter tires, made for snow help a lot. Studs are great, if legal.
Deep snow? I have been stuck in it with a jeep and it really sucks!
And trucks seem to spin out,at the first hint of a slippery road(fresh snow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive