Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My daughter when she graduated from college and was teaching wanted to buy a "sporty car" something with a cool look and fast--and she could drive a stick--
so she bought a VW Jetta--the Wolfensberg edition made in Germany to get better quality control...had a sunroof--looked cool and hot--and was fast...
She had it about a year and one day opened her truck to find water in it--
she parked outside/no roof protection and there had been rain...
After she got the wet vac and suctioned out the water and dried the carpet in trunk
She and her dad checked the seal on the trunk but it seemed ok--
car had not been in any rear-ender accident to cause trunk to buckler or anything...

she thought OK--maybe I didn't close it all the way the last time I was shopping--
next time it rained she got water in trunk again...

took it to dealer--
couldn't find anything wrong with it--they thought she was a dumb blond because she was cute and a blond...

next time it rained same thing--
finally discovered that it was the seal on the sunroof that was messes up and allowing rain to seep in and run through the roof section into area over the rear window and funnel into the truck--
they wanted like 1500 to fix it--
said she must have damaged the mechnism for the sunroof--

never buying a Volkeswagon again

All because of clogged sunroof drain holes. Depending on WHERE the clog is you never know where the water may want to go. All too common malady in VWs. In owning well over 2 dozen cars with sunroofs over my lifetime the VWs are the ONLY ones Ive ever experienced this issue with. Poor design of the drains and their location being the culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
To address the 1.8T engine issues...if owners followed the instructions from VW it was NOT an issue with the sludge. When we bought the car new in '04 they suggested that we use synthetic oil so we did. A year later they sent out a sticker to put in the owners manual that changed that to synthetic oil required. The engine has been absolutely flawless but we have always changed the oil right on time and always, always used premium fuel.

This winter in Bemidji my son's 1.8T Passat started right up in -35 degrees while he watched Toyotas, Mazdas, Fords, Chevy's ect have to get jump started and towed.

Some of you guys crowing about all the miles you put on your cars, you live in places like California and Florida and don't see the climate swings we do or is your car covered in salt all winter long.

Again, I was never a big fan of VW's tried to stop my wife from buying one and failed. Tried to get my daughter to choose anything else and failed. But they turned out to be great cars.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
You want northern climates with mileage? My wife's corolla had 184,000 miles on it when she sold it. My expedition had 234,000 miles when I sold it. My camry has 104,000 miles and sees an 80 round trip. These vehicles spend significant time in cold and snow with no issues.

I researched Volkswagen before buying a toyota. There was a pattern on just about each one I looked at. That affirmed my choice.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
To address the 1.8T engine issues...if owners followed the instructions from VW it was NOT an issue with the sludge. When we bought the car new in '04 they suggested that we use synthetic oil so we did. A year later they sent out a sticker to put in the owners manual that changed that to synthetic oil required. The engine has been absolutely flawless but we have always changed the oil right on time and always, always used premium fuel.

This winter in Bemidji my son's 1.8T Passat started right up in -35 degrees while he watched Toyotas, Mazdas, Fords, Chevy's ect have to get jump started and towed.

Some of you guys crowing about all the miles you put on your cars, you live in places like California and Florida and don't see the climate swings we do or is your car covered in salt all winter long.

Again, I was never a big fan of VW's tried to stop my wife from buying one and failed. Tried to get my daughter to choose anything else and failed. But they turned out to be great cars.

Say that all you want, but it doesn't make it true. My Audi ALWAYS had synthetic oil in it. Still had the sludge issue. I live in Alabama so no salt has ever been on my car. Climate swings have absolutely nothing to do with the car's lack of reliability. Engineering does. Climate has nothing to do with the issues my car had, (which again are all verifiable if you Google it). The cars are junk.

And there's no point in saying that VW and Audi should be kept separate. They're the same car. And you'll find many of the issues are shared across both platforms. Glad you got two good ones. I don't know anyone on our local car forum that was happy with their VW/Audi.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
You want northern climates with mileage? My wife's corolla had 184,000 miles on it when she sold it. My expedition had 234,000 miles when I sold it. My camry has 104,000 miles and sees an 80 round trip. These vehicles spend significant time in cold and snow with no issues.

I researched Volkswagen before buying a toyota. There was a pattern on just about each one I looked at. That affirmed my choice.
But Toyota's are so damn boring and ugly, like driving a Soviet Era Skoda. Just sit in a VW sometime compared to a Toyota. I would drive a Ford or Chevy before a Toyota, stats on websites be damned.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
2001 Audi TT 225 quattro (basically a rebadged VW). Engine failed at just over 65k miles. It was one of the worst experiences with a car (as much as I liked it). I've had POS built vehicles hit at least 100k without major issues.

Never again.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
2001 Audi TT 225 quattro (basically a rebadged VW). Engine failed at just over 65k miles. It was one of the worst experiences with a car (as much as I liked it). I've had POS built vehicles hit at least 100k without major issues.

Never again.
Everyone has bad luck with cars at times. I have a buddy with over 400,000 miles on a Chevy Malibu. Who would have thought that possible? He just put new struts on it and plans on keeping going. Never has touched the exhaust, the engine or the tranny.

Our '04 Passat already needs some exhaust work (some flex pipe under the passenger area)

I'm not saying VW's are perfect cars, they are just a hell of a lot better than I gave them credit for.

But who's to say this thing won't implode next week and then even with 105,000 miles of trouble free driving, that would still make it a bad car IMO. If my son get's a few more years out of it then it's officially a great car IMO.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But Toyota's are so damn boring and ugly, like driving a Soviet Era Skoda. Just sit in a VW sometime compared to a Toyota. I would drive a Ford or Chevy before a Toyota, stats on websites be damned.
I'm at the point where ascetics are secondary to having something reliable, something that will make it to 200,000 miles without going through 3 engines and 4 transmissions and no electrical bugs. The denial of data doesn't validate your anecdotal experiences.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 9,212,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
I've owned a MkIV 1999.5 Jetta for over 15 years. Here is my running list that I update with all issues noted. Some failures, normal wear and tear, etc.

1999.5 VW Jetta GLS, 2.0L 4-cyl

Mechanical Repairs NEEDED:
- Catalytic Converter non-OEM ($380)
- Driver doorlock module ($400)
- Trunk micro-switch ($14)
- AC compressor clutch? ($$$)
Total: $1444

Cosmetic Fixes:
- Windshield ($100)
- Window switch cover (driver) ($43)
- Valance, front ($114)
Total: $257

Problems fixed:
Window Regulators x2 (front doors, one dealer, one self $690)
Alternator x2 (gone out twice $600)
Side Airbag trim B-pillar (recall)
O2 sensors x2 (one recall, gone out twice $500)
MAF x2 (gone out twice $300)
Fuel door motor (warranty)
Broken cup holder and faceplate ($45 used and new)
New interior door grab handle (passenger) ($30)
Valve Cover gasket/coolant flange/Coolant Temp Sensor ($417)
Timing belt ($650)
Brakes front x3 ($750)
Brakes rear x 2 ($490)
Tires ($900)
Battery x2 ($240)
Center cap, wheel left rear ($27)
Headlamp bulbs ($100)
Rear taillamp bulbs ($20)
License frame bulbs ($9)
Center console bulbs ($5)
Glove box hinge repair kit ($21)
Mirror cap, passenger side x2 ($205)
Front Suspension/struts ($493)
Reupholstered arm rest (Bottle of Gin)
Sway bar bushings and brackets ($30)
Windshield ($100)
A/C Recharge ($37)
Airbag ignitor fault/Clock spring ($400)
Timing belt/Waterpump/belts: $830

Total to date: $7899
Wow.

Valve Cover gasket/coolant flange/Coolant Temp Sensor ($417)

How in the heck did you spend that much money on that repair?

Brakes rear x 2 ($490)

Or that one?

I guess this is how much you have to pay if you don't turn your own wrenches?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
I am a fan of air cooled VW's. Have owned one of them and loved it. Would love to find another one. many of these 60's era cars cost more than the new VW cars selling today. Thise early cars were easy to work on. remove 4 bolts and two guys can get that engine out of the car and onto the work bench. Basic transportation at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive