Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times

Advertisements

If that sounds like a ridiculous question that no one could answer, then forgive me for my silliness. That said, this is something I'm curious about that maybe someone else could relate to.

Since the past 5 years or so, I have found that far more than was ever the case in past years, I absolutely cannot STAND bumpy roads. I am not even talking about "washboard" roads, but even just the occasional here and there quick bump, one strong enough to be noticed (I don't know of a better way to put it). Anymore, even such relatively petty and small bumps just drive me crazy, enough to even yell out curse words and even drive completely on the wrong side of the road (briefly, for about 5 seconds) so as to totally avoid them (I am speaking of roads I am on often where there are bumps I've encountered before and know their location ahead of time).

I described it this way to one person: "I'm not satisfied unless it's like what you would experience driving on a freshly paved road (as it within the past month or so) and your car is a Cadillac or Lincoln and it has an air suspension." That may be exaggerating a BIT, but not that much.

The only clue I have is that, for awhile, we used to live on a place that had a very bad and rough driveway, it was so bad we even once had a relative become stuck on it even though he was driving a truck with generous ground clearance. We lived there for about 2 years, and having to tolerate that driveway 2-3 times every single day for that long, I figure I simply became so tired of it that it permanently etched into my brain a new type of intolerance for any bumps of any type ever that otherwise would've never been planted in my brain. Also at this time, our in-laws owned a car that didn't have shock absorbers and anytime you road in that car, even tiny bumps felt like you were being kicked by a mule. I figure these 2 overlapping events of life simply took its toll on my psyche.

Neither of those two things apply now and haven't for the past 5 years, and yet I STILL find myself getting almost downright irate if a road is excessively bumpy, I just can't stand it. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm in my 40s now and maybe this is the sort of thing that one becomes less adept at dealing with at an older age (soarer joints perhaps)? It has even caused me to completely stop driving on gravel roads any at all, even in National Park places where we're visiting hiking spots, even in such places, I want the roads paved and recently so at that. (Yes I know, imagine how much that would drive up taxes.) I instead will park near where the gravel road initially starts and then walk all the way in, carrying hiking gear and all etc on my back, preferring that to dealing with the bumps of the road. (I am speaking of situations where you'd drive, say, half a mile or so, if it's longer, I may well just not visit the place period.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 01:03 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
You might want to ask this over in the http://www.city-data.com/forum/psychology/

forum

Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If that sounds like a ridiculous question that no one could answer, then forgive me for my silliness. That said, this is something I'm curious about that maybe someone else could relate to.

Since the past 5 years or so, I have found that far more than was ever the case in past years, I absolutely cannot STAND bumpy roads. I am not even talking about "washboard" roads, but even just the occasional here and there quick bump, one strong enough to be noticed (I don't know of a better way to put it). Anymore, even such relatively petty and small bumps just drive me crazy, enough to even yell out curse words and even drive completely on the wrong side of the road (briefly, for about 5 seconds) so as to totally avoid them.

I figure I simply became so tired of it that it permanently etched into my brain a new type of intolerance for any bumps of any type ever that otherwise would've never been planted in my brain. Also at this time, our in-laws owned a car that didn't have shock absorbers and anytime you road in that car, even tiny bumps felt like you were being kicked by a mule. I figure these 2 overlapping events of life simply took its toll on my psyche.

Neither of those two things apply now and haven't for the past 5 years, and yet I STILL find myself getting almost downright irate if a road is excessively bumpy, I just can't stand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am not necessarily advocating for laws on this (although they do exist to a certain extent), but I myself can't stand loud mufflers on vehicles. It's simply noise for the sake of noise, and to me it's ignorant.

When I read stories about neighbors killing another neighbor's dog, I don't feel sorry for the dog owner in the least and to a certain extent I even CHEER this sort of thing. That someone poisons or "kidnaps" a neighbor's dog is not a reflection on how sick such people are, it's a reflection on what jerks many dog owners are.
I think you should move to a deserted island so you won't have to deal with bumpy roads or excessive noise, or dogs, or children. Here's one:

Bikini Atoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't worry about the noise. If you hear a loud bang, I promise you'll only hear one.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Bladder control?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:34 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
We have no idea about what type or age of vehicle you are driving, but have you considered the possibility that your shocks/struts are simply worn-out?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
^^ First thought I had too.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
You might want to ask this over in the http://www.city-data.com/forum/psychology/

forum
Does seem like the more appropriate forum for it.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:09 PM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
The quality of road surfaces over here, especially back roads, has gone downhill badly over the last decade or so.

Blame cutbacks.

Regulars may well know that some of my favourite cars are Citroens with hydropneumatic suspension.

The trouble is I don't like the current crop of Citroens that have that suspension but they iron out road imperfections really well.

Citroen's amazing suspension system - coffee barely moving at 65mph - YouTube

Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
perhaps, as a baby you became entangled at a hardware store on one of those paint can shaking machines.

Sure the body eventually heals, but sometimes the mind never does.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:36 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
You might try using a shock-absorbing seat cushion. Potholes are especially irritating to me, especially when it takes the City a year to get around to filling them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive