Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 AM

355 posts, read 2,703,623 times

Advertisements

If manufactuers were told that they had to stop making suvs, crossovers and all minivans by the government, what do you think that large families would drive? Also, could the government seize everyones suvs if the environment got so bad that it was absolutely necessary?

I would assume that large families would have to start buying wagons again like we did back in the good days. It would actually be kind of fun in my opinion. I would go and get a 2008 Volvo XC70 if my Armada was taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
If that were to happen, I would have much greater worries than what vehicle to buy.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
What makes you think that SUV's/crossovers/minivans are the SOLE reason for hurting the environment? I'm not saying that's not correct (I have no evidence either way)... but a lot of folks claim that. When I ask them how they come to that conclusion, they indicate the big engine, bad gas mileage etc.... Ok - but that also describes sports cars and trucks....

Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,152 times
I guess it would mean a return to large station wagons. I hardly think large station wagons are environmentally friendly either, though.

I think what is more likely to happen, car manufacturers will eventually produce cleaner SUVS, minivans, and trucks. I am sure the government will never begin seizing individual's vehicles.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
If that were to happen, I would have much greater worries than what vehicle to buy.
I tend to agree as well.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What makes you think that SUV's/crossovers/minivans are the SOLE reason for hurting the environment? I'm not saying that's not correct (I have no evidence either way)... but a lot of folks claim that. When I ask them how they come to that conclusion, they indicate the big engine, bad gas mileage etc.... Ok - but that also describes sports cars and trucks....
I did not say that suvs/minivans/crossovers were the reason for hurting the environment, as a matter of fact, I know that they are NOT the reason for the environment getting bad. I was just talking about all those people who DO think that Suvs/minivans/crossover etc. are the reason for the bad environment. I HAVE a large suv, a Nissan Armada, and I know that it is not the sole reason for the environment getting bad. It seems that people do not realize that and the people who think that suvs are the sole reason for today's environmet are idiots. Many people at the government and in this country think that by getting rid of suvs and other fuel sucking vehicles that the environment will all of a sudden get ten times better. I got two words for them, "IT'S NOT!!!!!"

Old 12-15-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
A lot of people are lemmings. They couldn't grasp an independent thought if it knocked them square in the jaw, so they repeat whatever garbage they heard from the last lemming that they talked to or read about on the interweb. Global warming, hybrid technology and the automotive atrocity known as the SUV are popular topics right now, so the lemmings repeat what they hear as "fact" rather than actually learning anything for themselves.

Note: I'm not saying this about the OP.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
A lot of people are lemmings. They couldn't grasp an independent thought if it knocked them square in the jaw, so they repeat whatever garbage they heard from the last lemming that they talked to or read about on the interweb. Global warming, hybrid technology and the automotive atrocity known as the SUV are popular topics right now, so the lemmings repeat what they hear as "fact" rather than actually learning anything for themselves.
I am in no way a lemming. I am not sure if you were referring to me or other folks. If you were not talking about me, then I am sorry for getting offended. I do not believe other people's thoughts and have a mind of my own. I have a large suv and know they are not the reason for Gloal Warming and all the other things that are going on in today's environment.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
So, my 1976 33-35 mpg AlfaRomeo FuelInjected roadster is wasting gas?
How about my 1972 BMW 2002 that turns in 30+ mpg, cruising at 75 mph?
Or, my MG Midget at almost 40 mpg at 70 mph?
Or, my 1967 Porsche 912T at 28-30 mpg at 75 mph?

Even my 1961 MGA Coupe managed to get 30 mpg, along with a 1300 Guilia Alfa Romeo.

"sports" cars have been remarkably fuel efficient cars for a lot longer than the hysteria of recent years .....

Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I am in no way a lemming. I am not sure if you were referring to me or other folks. If you were not talking about me, then I am sorry for getting offended. I do not believe other people's thoughts and have a mind of my own. I have a large suv and know they are not the reason for Gloal Warming and all the other things that are going on in today's environment.
Quote:
Note: I'm not saying this about the OP.

No worries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive